Hybrid View

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Me neither but it has no relevance to any of the children I mind so I would be doing it for ticking a box.

Now Roald dahl day which was yesterday may run for the month because we all love it
    Jarvis Cocker read the enormous crocodile in 3 goes during his show yesterday on Radio 6 live - you might be able to get it as a podcast now, played Charlie and the chocolate music too.

My nephew is Jewish and my son works for a Jewish company who embraces all their festivals so I do feel a little connected and read a story, but since , like you, it has no relevance, apart from having story books and highlighting them I don't make a big thing...if I had older children like after school I would because I feel , even though there is no relevance in their lives, it's good to be aware of what some people celebrate throughout the year. I live in a town of predominantly white non religous population so most of the religous festivals have no relevance, but I touch on them through stories.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

not doing anything - no relevance to any of my children or local community.

I'll probably mention it to my schoolies, but I doubt it will even have been mentioned at school. we might have a look on Youtube after tea.

we're very busy with assorted animals at the moment and starting nursery & big school! I was planning on doing something for Roald Dahl day, but my LOs are so little - 1 & 2 yr olds, so not quite ready for anything like that yet! my schoolies only want to come home and run around the garden!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just re-reading my reply and it sounds like I don't look at things that are outside my childrens experiences .that's not true at all. And we do look at some festivals etc from around the world ..quite often Chinese new year , Diwali etc. If we never introduce them to things like this they cant broaden their horizons but I don't feel the need to always do that just to tick boxes As with everything there is a balance to be found.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing nothing either. A few years ago I was daft enough to print out Jewish colouring pages for my under 3's. I then sat back and realised that they didn't know what they were, they could have been anything.

My dd will be learning about Jewish festivals/beliefs In her RE lessons at school...she's 13 and more likely to understand

If I had a Jewish child then I would have asked parents to bring something in that we could have looked at and we would have talked about what the child does at home to celebrate etc but nothing too complicated.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.