Childminders who don't fill their ratios or days?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminders who don't fill their ratios or days?

I was just curious if any Childminders on here don't seek new clients even though they aren't full.

I'm currently only working 3 days a week and I'd quite like to keep it that way! 2 days a week I have 3 youngsters in a pram and a little schoolie holding on to the pram whilst walking. I can't quite believe that I could have two extra schoolies on top of that if I wanted. We already resemble a bus!

I don't think I could face turning away new work, but I may hide if I think someone's going to ask. :P

Was just wondering if I'm alone in this or not. O_o

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on if you need the money or not! And how much you and your family can cope with! I started out with three under three years , five days a week. Then gradually phased out Friday's as little ones left. I now do a four day week, but in June lost my two ad hocs on a Monday.: one to an au pair cos mum was pregnant with number four and one to school. (Don't do after school ,
    Too much stress! Did one once and he didn't mix well with the others. And don't do pre school pick up as they finish at 12. And I have to leave at 145 for my own girls school so don't feel I could fit nap and lunch without being stressed in between.. I could have unlimited schoolies but no thanks !) I have a new little man starting Monday to Thursday's and my own girls swim with school on a Monday afternoon so was inclined (and financially we are a bit better off due to hubby's work so he told me not to) to not fill the ad hoc spaces. However a friend of mine wants a few hours for her little fella to have a break so I will have him Monday am. So I will work Tuesday to Thursday's with three under three, off Fridays. And Monday two in the morning and just one in the afternoon. Good life balance right now (our middle daughter has just been diagnosed with OCD so want to spend as much time as poss with them) but when I started we couldn't afford for any less than three full time (or part times but three spaces) I think if you are happy with what you are doing money wise and energy / family wise there is no need to do any more!

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't take schoolies at all!
    I have 2-3 EYFS 4 days a week.
    I know some CMers with just one or two part time.
    Everyone has their own reasons for the level of work they take on.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There may be as many answers to this as there are CMs.

One CM near me never turns down a request for childcare. She regularly has 11 on an infant/primary school run that I've witnessed. I've heard of (but not personally witnessed) her having 15 at one time. I know she's had more than that at her home in what she claimed was "an emergency" (it was really a school strike day and involved her falsely claiming that her DH was an assistant.) I actually know her aunt in passing, and she says the CM does it because she regards being asked as giving her some sense of "acceptance" or "approval" - so perhaps it's a kind of self-image/insecurity thing?

I've gone from 'as full as I'd like to be' to 'well below capacity' since the new school year began. Mostly due to 4yo's starting school and a few 'promised' school runs falling through.

Tbh I'm quite happy to accept the drop in income at least for a while as I take stock and see how it works out. I've gone from having 4yo's to the current point where my oldest daytime child is just 2yo. So I'd like to be careful whom I take on (no boisterous 4yo's flattening the wee ones, frinstance.)

I also have a child-free half-day which I hope to use to catch up on paperwork and maybe some training.

Also, Mrs B has new hours at her "proper job" so we'd like to see how that all fits with the CMing before making too many decisions.

One factor is a bit frustrating as I feel a bit trapped by the way it limits my decision making. That's the number of current or very-recent clients who are either pregnant, trying for another baby or just had one. They're all in the status of "undecided whether to go back to work" if/when the time comes. This means I could, potentially, have mums wanting places for a total of 4 new babies over the next 8-18 months. OTOH, I could just as easily lose 3 existing children if they all decide to become stay-at-home-mums. It could be something in between, but there's no way of knowing. It adds up to trying to allow for a swing of up to 7 places, and there's no way I can plan around that, and I don't like the idea of having to 'let someone down' with all the potential bitterness that might ensue.
    Last edited by bunyip; 10-09-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    Depends on if you need the money or not! And how much you and your family can cope with! I started out with three under three years , five days a week. Then gradually phased out Friday's as little ones left. I now do a four day week, but in June lost my two ad hocs on a Monday.: one to an au pair cos mum was pregnant with number four and one to school. (Don't do after school ,
    Too much stress! Did one once and he didn't mix well with the others. And don't do pre school pick up as they finish at 12. And I have to leave at 145 for my own girls school so don't feel I could fit nap and lunch without being stressed in between.. I could have unlimited schoolies but no thanks !) I have a new little man starting Monday to Thursday's and my own girls swim with school on a Monday afternoon so was inclined (and financially we are a bit better off due to hubby's work so he told me not to) to not fill the ad hoc spaces. However a friend of mine wants a few hours for her little fella to have a break so I will have him Monday am. So I will work Tuesday to Thursday's with three under three, off Fridays. And Monday two in the morning and just one in the afternoon. Good life balance right now (our middle daughter has just been diagnosed with OCD so want to spend as much time as poss with them) but when I started we couldn't afford for any less than three full time (or part times but three spaces) I think if you are happy with what you are doing money wise and energy / family wise there is no need to do any more!
    This is really helpful in my situation. Thanks.

(Tried to PM you to say this, but your message box is full, so I'm unable to send. Hope all is well with you. xxx )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    This is really helpful in my situation. Thanks. (Tried to PM you to say this, but your message box is full, so I'm unable to send. Hope all is well with you. xxx )
    Hey there! All ok thanks.. Emptied my box now if you wAnt to resend

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I started off with 1 mindee of 6mth old (3days a week) for a whole year when my youngest was just 3. I'm now working Monday through to Thursday 7.30/6pm. Ive got 3 lo's every day plus before & after school each of those days. Next sept I lloose 3 to school and have decided I'm going to drop Thursday school hours 9-3.30. Financially, I'll cut my cloth accordingly. But what I have found hard is to be firm and say 'I don't work fridays, sorry' to any enquiries I've had and if you want to stay as you are you'll have to be firm also. It's hard when you have a 'lovely' pregnant lady approach you in the playground or wherever it may happen. But if you are happy as you are then continue.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think it's just a little overwhelming at the moment since I have 2 under 2 (neither walking) and my own 2 year old. It feels like I'm constantly juggling nappies, naps, feedings, bottles and barely have any time to do nice activities. Trying to do all this in routine with wraparound care for a spirited schoolie (that quarrels constantly with my 2yo) means than I am clinging to my 4 day weekend, especially since I spend 2 days scrubbing the house in preparation for the working week. I can't help but feel like a slacker though. :S

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you do have a lot on. It can be very tiring with a lot little ones but it'll get better when they become more independent and I do love them the whole year before they start school. They can be great fun and if you get a good bunch they are great together. Take care.

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I only work 4 days a week. I love having my day off to spend some time with my own LOs without the mindees around. My daughter is just starting school so when she's full time I would have another full time EY space but I'm not actively looking to fill it. And I'm not looking to take on any before or after school. I have turned down lots of work. But both the Mums of my current mindees are pregnant, so I am uncertain as to what they will do once babies are here. I am trying to keep the balance right for me and my family (I have a 2 year old and 4 year old), but hoping the enquiries keep coming when I need them!

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very much part time. I currently have one or two children here after school 4 days a week (my lg has just started in reception). I have a funded 3 yr old here for 11hrs over 2 days, one of those days I have a 2 yr old as well. I work 3 a maximum of days a week in the the holidays. I'm looking to pick up a few more hours, but I'm being selective. Our house is only small so I choose to have only a few children here.

I'm just about to start the final module for my degree, so I'm keeping 2 school days a week for study. My hubbie works 7-6ish at least 5 days a week, so it is very much about keeping the balance.

On the financial front I also factor in the fact we're not paying for before or after school care, holiday care, petrol for me to commute, the fact I have time to plan what we eat and do a planned shop rather than nipping to the co-op to see what they've got or buying take away. We've also just got solar panels, so we'll be able to maximise on using appliances during the day. I also like to know that I could earn more if we needed me to.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only been registered since June and feel exhausted towards the end of the week. I now have 2 siblings aged 10.1/2 months and a 3 year old whos in afternoon nursery Mon - Wed. I have another 2 siblings aged 16 months and 4 years whos is in reception, Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday. I'm currently discussing with mum a change of days so that I only work Mon - Wed and have Thurs and Fri off.

I too find it difficult to fit everything in and feel like I run around ragged with nappies changes, nap times, school runs, nursery run etc........... It's also tricky with timings because my reception child goes to a different school to the nursery child (whom I have to go in the car for) after I've picked up the 4 year old, so humping children and the double pushchair about twice a day exhausts me. So I shall look forward to a 3 day week for the forseeable future.

I am turning enquiries down all the time even though I would have space for schoolies but I don't want anymore, I think you need a work life balance. Sorry for babbling on but sometimes I do wonder what I've let myself in for lol.............

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda70 View Post
    I have only been registered since June and feel exhausted towards the end of the week. I now have 2 siblings aged 10.1/2 months and a 3 year old whos in afternoon nursery Mon - Wed. I have another 2 siblings aged 16 months and 4 years whos is in reception, Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday. I'm currently discussing with mum a change of days so that I only work Mon - Wed and have Thurs and Fri off.

I too find it difficult to fit everything in and feel like I run around ragged with nappies changes, nap times, school runs, nursery run etc........... It's also tricky with timings because my reception child goes to a different school to the nursery child (whom I have to go in the car for) after I've picked up the 4 year old, so humping children and the double pushchair about twice a day exhausts me. So I shall look forward to a 3 day week for the forseeable future.

I am turning enquiries down all the time even though I would have space for schoolies but I don't want anymore, I think you need a work life balance. Sorry for babbling on but sometimes I do wonder what I've let myself in for lol.............
    Yeah, it's the school run that's the biggest issue for me. I don't have a car, so it's pushing a double buggy up a hill for a while, and then my own 2 year old wouldn't behave whilst walking and was a constant worry, so I've attached a Buggypod on the side. It's so heavy! O_O I don't like how the school run affects the little ones naptimes, I hate having to wake them up. (I'm lucky enough to have 2 who like to nap for a couple of hours!) I think I'd have to be heavily convinced to take on a schoolie again in the future!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    Yeah, it's the school run that's the biggest issue for me. I don't have a car, so it's pushing a double buggy up a hill for a while, and then my own 2 year old wouldn't behave whilst walking and was a constant worry, so I've attached a Buggypod on the side. It's so heavy! O_O I don't like how the school run affects the little ones naptimes, I hate having to wake them up. (I'm lucky enough to have 2 who like to nap for a couple of hours!) I think I'd have to be heavily convinced to take on a schoolie again in the future!
    The 10.1/2,month old sleeps from 9 till about 11 and then about 2pm but I have to wake him up for the school and nursery run. The 16 month old sleeps about 1pm for nearly 2,hours. I have to hump the double pushchair in and out the car 4 times a day and it is heavy.....

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I was TTO for six years and never had more than two EYFS a day because it suited me and my family. Just because you have the space, it doesn't mean that you have to fill it
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gone from capacity numbers and hours wise to two eyfs and three school children (just odd days not every day) and it's just so lovely to have a breather from the non stop madness. I might or might not increase numbers at some point but for the moment and enjoying the slower lace of life.

18. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol just as we were saying this I had a call yesterday from a mum who only wants a few hours, little one is three so a good age, and really a few weeks back I would have thought it fit perfectly! I found myself telling her I had nothing available though, may message her again and say something has opened up as the few quid would come in handy. Hard to say no!

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post