Potty training advice needed
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Potty training advice needed

I'm currently potty training my daughter and mindee at the same time. They are a similar age (3), and both fully understand the concept. My daughter has taken to it really well, but I'm having some trouble with mindee and am beginning to wonder if she just isn't ready. She had all summer off with her mum, and mum introduced potty to her in a relaxed way. If she happened to be near the potty and wasn't wearing a nappy, she would use it, but also happily used a nappy. Then I explained to mum what I was doing with my daughter (pants all day apart from nap and bed time, and treats for using the potty), and she wanted me to do the same with mindee. Both children are now entering their second week of this, and my lo has had no accidents in 5 days and will tell us she needs to go without being prompted. Mindee, however, seems to need a wee every 15-20 minutes and still manages to wet her pants in between sometimes. I do reminders about 2-3 times an hour that she should let me know if she needs the potty, and I've spoken to parents about not letting her have loads to drink before she gets here, and I've also stopped treats for using the potty (in case she was pushing herself to go more often so she can have another treat). Despite all of this, she is still going frequently. It means we're pretty much stuck to the house because she'd never make it on a bus journey.

My instincts are telling me she's not quite ready if she can't hold it for even an hour, but I was hoping for advice from others as I'm also aware that I may just be eager to call it quits too early because I'm sick of being house bound and cleaning wee off my floors and furniture. Opinions?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Its difficult to say if LO is ready.

Might seem like a random question but how long are you leaving LO before cleaning her up? If she isnt getting a chance to feel umcomfortable even for a minute there might be no reason for her to try?

Another thing to maybe try is a treat every hour for whichever child has been dry for that hour? Nothing big or grand but maybe they get to choose the activity or story etc. I would then get them taking turns at the end of the hour once they are more established.

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply shortstuff. I change her as soon as I notice, which means that she does usually have time to feel uncomfortable, and is usually trying to hide it from me. She is very aware of the process and what she should and shouldn't be doing. I'm wondering if maybe her bladder just isn't ready to hold it for long. I'm not even sure what to say to parents, but something needs to change. I don't have a garden as I live in a flat, so we have been stuck inside all last week and today (apart from quick trips to the small local park, where we usually have to come back from due to wet pants). My own lo can go a few hours in between toilet trips, and she's going stir crazy not getting out and about enough. I'm considering either asking mindee's parents to supply pull ups, that way we can continue potty training at a slow pace and still get out and about without trails of wee everywhere. Or, just suggesting she isn't ready and maybe they should try again over Christmas?

Strangely, she will tell me she needs a poo and will happily go in the potty. This morning, between 8:30 and now (12:30) she had 7 trips to the toilet and 3 wet pants in between. Is it just me, or is that excessive? My own daughter has gone 3 times between waking up at 7 and now.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

It does sound quite a lot but it does get less as they get the hang of it. I have one here who would need to go every 10 minutes the 1st day. Now LO can wait for 3 hours and is a very happy LO.

I would say that if you are going to ask for pull ups that you still have a supply of pants and put those on 1st so LO still gets the sensation of being wet. That might trigger their desire to use the toilet.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is still early days- I remember my own child going for so many wees the first few days! But then it settles down, novelty wears off and they learn to hold it (if they are able). If she is independently going to the potty herself (with out prompts) then that is a good sign and probaly worth persevering. If it is all prompts and accidents then maybe best to give it a month in nappies and try again later. I would be trying to ease off the prompts by the second week, so not asking so often if they need a wee (just always go before meals and before outings and before nap).

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    It is still early days- I remember my own child going for so many wees the first few days! But then it settles down, novelty wears off and they learn to hold it (if they are able). If she is independently going to the potty herself (with out prompts) then that is a good sign and probaly worth persevering. If it is all prompts and accidents then maybe best to give it a month in nappies and try again later. I would be trying to ease off the prompts by the second week, so not asking so often if they need a wee (just always go before meals and before outings and before nap).
    I'd say the amount of times she asks to use the potty is either equal to or less than the amount of times she goes after being prompted. After the first 2 days, I stopped directly asking the question "Do you need the potty?" every 10-15 minutes, and instead started reminding her that she should tell me when she needs to use the potty every 20-30 minutes. This is week 2, and she is still wetting herself in between going to the potty around every 20 minutes or so. And just a few minutes after being reminded to let me know when she needs the potty (and her telling me she didn't need to go), she wet herself. She will also do things like wee right before going outside, then as soon as we get outside she'll tell me she needs to go again, so we'll go all the way back in to the toilet where she'll decide she doesn't really need to go, then wet herself 2 minutes after walking out the door. I know it's only been a week, but I always thought that they crack it quite quickly if they're truly ready? And also that they should be able to hold it for longer than 20 minutes? My own little girl is getting desperate to go out and about and not be stuck in all day.