Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Today, I was feeding her giving a jam with yoghurt and the mother came into the kitchen, the child
    was crying because she is still getting used with me as her nanny and she is also struggling with
    teething's pain, poor baby, so off course she was not happy and crying a bit, her mother has put the IPad in front of
    her, I WANTED TO DIE AND THROW AWAY THE MACHINE, it is very hard....

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hello you View Post
    Today, I was feeding her giving a jam with yoghurt and the mother came into the kitchen, the child was crying because she is still getting used with me as her nanny and she is also struggling with teething's pain, poor baby, so off course she was not happy and crying a bit, her mother has put the IPad in front of her, I WANTED TO DIE AND THROW AWAY THE MACHINE, it is very hard....
    For me in this case I would be wondering if I wanted to stay! Mum clearly just wants you to deal with it! I've been think g about this and how in as I think it is at 13 months old mum is relying on the iPad :-(

Simona Guest

Today, I was feeding her giving a jam with yoghurt and the mother came into the kitchen, the child
    was crying because she is still getting used with me as her nanny and she is also struggling with
    teething's pain, poor baby, so off course she was not happy and crying a bit, her mother has put the IPad in front of
    If the mother put the Ipad in front of the child it means you and her have not sat down and 'agreed' a shared strategy and rules so the child does not get confused.

Also if the mother is at home when you are the nanny it is important she does not undermine you...which is exactly what she did.
    It is your choice in the end...no point in wanting to die or throw the Ipad away...mother will get another one.

13 months should not be difficult at meals times, there should be no toys at the table ever and they can become 'fussy' if we do very on our boundaries.
    Also settling in ...for you and the child...is very important.

4. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post
    But this child is only 13 months old so I would just replace the ipad with something like a favourite toy with no explanation at 13 months. That's just me and as a childminder and my own aged 16, 19 and 22 and we don't own an ipad I suppose I'm being mean. Or just put on the TV as a background if the 13 month old needs support.

13 month old are very fussy eaters anyway so don't just blame the ipad.
    Tell me about it. Amongst my other reasons for "being mean" (the chief one being that I tell children off and don't let them get away with murder like at home) are:-
    • I don't own an i-pad
    • I don't own a tablet
    • no, you're not going to spend the day with the tv/computer/phone/whatever electronic gizmo your family gave you as a christening present/etc.
    • I don't own a car

and so on........................

Btw, whilst I have no problem with calling a spade a spade, don't be surprised if use of the term "fussy eater" results in being hunted down and shot by The Childcare Thought Police.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Once more I find myself wondering why some parents want children when they'd probably be better off with a Tamagochi.

7. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is I CANNOT EVEN THINK ABOUT LEAVING THE JOB, because I do need so much!
    The mother is going to go to work, very soon, I will be alone with the child, I'll have a hard job...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post
    For me in this case I would be wondering if I wanted to stay! Mum clearly just wants you to deal with it! I've been think g about this and how in as I think it is at 13 months old mum is relying on the iPad :-(

Simona Guest

I don't think anyone is hunting down those who call children 'fussy eaters' Bunyip...up to us which terminology we want to use...it is a different point of view and this is not 1984 controlled by the Thought Police in the Ministry of Plenty!!
    What is a fussy eater?

I do own an Ipad, a PC and laptop...the children are certainly allowed to use them but at specific times and under my supervision following my setting's rules.

Hello You....If you cannot leave the job then be honest with Mum and tell her you will not be allowing an Ipad at mealtimes...I am confident the child will respond to your boundaries if the parent is not willing to try....you would not be able to let her have it while the other children will not be allowed to have one.
    If the mother understands that you 'need the job' desperately she is less likely to co-operate...be assertive and explain your worries to her.

10. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I don't think anyone is hunting down those who call children 'fussy eaters' Bunyip...up to us which terminology we want to use...it is a different point of view and this is not 1984 controlled by the Thought Police in the Ministry of Plenty!!
    What is a fussy eater?

I do own an Ipad, a PC and laptop...the children are certainly allowed to use them but at specific times and under my supervision following my setting's rules.

Hello You....If you cannot leave the job then be honest with Mum and tell her you will not be allowing an Ipad at mealtimes...I am confident the child will respond to your boundaries if the parent is not willing to try....you would not be able to let her have it while the other children will not be allowed to have one.
    If the mother understands that you 'need the job' desperately she is less likely to co-operate...be assertive and explain your worries to her.
    I was........................ according to the city council's educational psychologist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Once more I find myself wondering why some parents want children when they'd probably be better off with a Tamagochi.
    lol true true !

Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

They just want to have children but some of them do not know nothing about childcare and they do not know where to get the right information to help them,...they put too much emotion in education/routines and this is the mainly problem, they don't want to feel guilty using boundaries etc...etc...etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Simona Guest

They just want to have children but some of them do not know nothing about childcare and they do not know where to get the right information to help them,...they put too much emotion in education/routines and this is the mainly problem, they don't want to feel guilty using boundaries etc...etc...etc...
    I think that many parents genuinely do not know what to expect from their children in terms of development and other issues.
    After all no one is really taught how to be a parent...maybe we should take up the Swedish style where pregnant mums are informed and attend sessions to prepare them to be a parent.

To say parents have nowhere to get information is really not true...parents have several sources of information and help such as Health Visitor, Children's Centres and anything they can get their hands on online....and support groups such as NCT.
    Information about childcare is really freely available and they get bombarded by the govt too.

Once they use childcare they have the opportunity to share tips with providers and we with them but this is a sore subject as we have to approach it carefully so not to undermine parents

I do believe a lot of parents have that guilty feeling about going to work and leaving their child but there are various patterns of work they can choose and depends on why they go back to work?

Why would parents feel guilty about using boundaries?
    they can be shown that boundaries and an authoritative parenting style is what they need to adopt...I feel many parents are very indulgent and give in for peace and quiet....and we are left to pick up the pieces!

15. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

It is always a pleasure to read what you have to say, thank you!

I think that many parents genuinely do not know what to expect from their children in terms of development and other issues.
    After all no one is really taught how to be a parent...maybe we should take up the Swedish style where pregnant mums are informed and attend sessions to prepare them to be a parent.

To say parents have nowhere to get information is really not true...parents have several sources of information and help such as Health Visitor, Children's Centres and anything they can get their hands on online....and support groups such as NCT.
    Information about childcare is really freely available and they get bombarded by the govt too.

Once they use childcare they have the opportunity to share tips with providers and we with them but this is a sore subject as we have to approach it carefully so not to undermine parents

I do believe a lot of parents have that guilty feeling about going to work and leaving their child but there are various patterns of work they can choose and depends on why they go back to work?

Why would parents feel guilty about using boundaries?
    they can be shown that boundaries and an authoritative parenting style is what they need to adopt...I feel many parents are very indulgent and give in for peace and quiet....and we are left to pick up the pieces!

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought at first perhaps you were the unfortunate childminder that was chosen for this child.....

seen on a parenting website!!

iPad at the dinner table
    My 2 year old boy eats like a pigeon and refuses to sit for more than 5 mins at the dinner table. The majority of his dinner always ends up in the bin. Today he's faffed around with food and hardly properly eaten anything so at dinner time I gave in and put Peppa on the iPad and sat it in front of him at the table. Needless to say he scoffed everything on his plate.

He's a solid boy with tons of energy so it's not like he's not getting nourishment, although I've no idea how as he just grazes all day. Do I continue letting him watch the iPad at the table to get him to eat? Or am I causing more harm than good? It's not something I'm very happy about as we're quite strict at us all eating together as a family at dinner time but I'm fed up of him not eating a square meal and putting so much food in the bin

Mum received a few replys saying it prehaps it wasnt a good idea, then this below

Thanks all. I've tried to reduce the amount of snacks but because he's such a rubbish meal-eater I feel guilty for saying no to a biscuit or whatever. But I guess that's a vicious cycle.

Also he eats his breakfast and lunch at his little table in the living room where his toys and telly are because it gives me a chance to get my bits done. I know that's probably bad? Anyway all this routine is about to change as he goes to a childminder full time in two weeks!
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

18. Likes Maza, Hello you liked this post
    feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mandy moo View Post
    I thought at first perhaps you were the unfortunate childminder that was chosen for this child..... seen on a parenting website!! iPad at the dinner table My 2 year old boy eats like a pigeon and refuses to sit for more than 5 mins at the dinner table. The majority of his dinner always ends up in the bin. Today he's faffed around with food and hardly properly eaten anything so at dinner time I gave in and put Peppa on the iPad and sat it in front of him at the table. Needless to say he scoffed everything on his plate. He's a solid boy with tons of energy so it's not like he's not getting nourishment, although I've no idea how as he just grazes all day. Do I continue letting him watch the iPad at the table to get him to eat? Or am I causing more harm than good? It's not something I'm very happy about as we're quite strict at us all eating together as a family at dinner time but I'm fed up of him not eating a square meal and putting so much food in the bin Mum received a few replys saying it prehaps it wasnt a good idea, then this below Thanks all. I've tried to reduce the amount of snacks but because he's such a rubbish meal-eater I feel guilty for saying no to a biscuit or whatever. But I guess that's a vicious cycle. Also he eats his breakfast and lunch at his little table in the living room where his toys and telly are because it gives me a chance to get my bits done. I know that's probably bad? Anyway all this routine is about to change as he goes to a childminder full time in two weeks!
    Lucky childminder!!! Glad it's not me

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mandy moo View Post
    I thought at first perhaps you were the unfortunate childminder that was chosen for this child.....

seen on a parenting website!!

iPad at the dinner table
    My 2 year old boy eats like a pigeon and refuses to sit for more than 5 mins at the dinner table. The majority of his dinner always ends up in the bin. Today he's faffed around with food and hardly properly eaten anything so at dinner time I gave in and put Peppa on the iPad and sat it in front of him at the table. Needless to say he scoffed everything on his plate.

He's a solid boy with tons of energy so it's not like he's not getting nourishment, although I've no idea how as he just grazes all day. Do I continue letting him watch the iPad at the table to get him to eat? Or am I causing more harm than good? It's not something I'm very happy about as we're quite strict at us all eating together as a family at dinner time but I'm fed up of him not eating a square meal and putting so much food in the bin

Mum received a few replys saying it prehaps it wasnt a good idea, then this below

Thanks all. I've tried to reduce the amount of snacks but because he's such a rubbish meal-eater I feel guilty for saying no to a biscuit or whatever. But I guess that's a vicious cycle.

Also he eats his breakfast and lunch at his little table in the living room where his toys and telly are because it gives me a chance to get my bits done. I know that's probably bad? Anyway all this routine is about to change as he goes to a childminder full time in two weeks!
    This made me giggle...child grazes on biscuits or snacks then mum is furious he does not eat a square meal?
    She has strict rules but gives in to the iPad? Why is it always Peppa Pig?
    And he has his breakfast and lunch surrounded by IT so she gets a chance to get on with her bits
    Say no more...poor cm indeed! And poor confused child

21. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not unlike the ones I get.

The ones where the parents all say, "I think it's absolutely brilliant that you walk everywhere with the children."

Which naturally implies that the sentence should end, "............because we drive everywhere, and you're the only chance of them ever getting any sort of exercise."

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Little detail, they want their child speaking several languages but they are not able to promote good behaviour

This made me giggle...child grazes on biscuits or snacks then mum is furious he does not eat a square meal?
    She has strict rules but gives in to the iPad? Why is it always Peppa Pig?
    And he has his breakfast and lunch surrounded by IT so she gets a chance to get on with her bits
    Say no more...poor cm indeed! And poor confused child

Simona Guest

Little detail, they want their child speaking several languages but they are not able to promote good behaviour
    Do you remember when the Teletubbies was the hot programme to watch for young children?
    They all ended up talking Teletubbies rubbish!
    Can't imagine what Peppa Pig will teach kids...how to go oink....oink!

26. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you remember when the Teletubbies was the hot programme to watch for young children? They all ended up talking Teletubbies rubbish! Can't imagine what Peppa Pig will teach kids...how to go oink....oink!
    I worked in a nursery once where a child clearly watched teletubbies 24/7 .. It was shocking really she was almost 4 and the parents had to be told she wasn't school ready .. She actually did the walk and talked like them!

28. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Peppa pig is the bane of my life.

My DS was introduced to her by cousins and now we get in the car barley even pulled out the drive and he's asking are we there yet. It's so boring. She is the most braty TV character ever and makes me want to eat bacon continually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast