2 year olds?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 2 year olds?!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 year olds?!

I know nothing about this age group and wondered what considerations I should take into account if taking on a child of this age? Any negatives, positives etc? Thanks :-)

Post Thanks / Like

They are a bundle of energetic fun! They are constantly learning about the world around them! They like to be active, speech and language is developing rapidly, they are interested in everything you do and like to get involved, they are learning to make friends but don't quite grasp taking turns and sharing, frustration is common especially if they can't communicate their needs. This is just a small insight really. It's full on looking after this age group but super fun :-)

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Love them but oh my, the tantrums! Complete lying on the ground, floppy legs and refusing to stand let alone walk for a whole 30 mins. And always when you really need to get somewhere, and all because another child is holding the hand they want to hold, or because another child picked up a stick and they want it even though they have a stick of their own already... etc etc. Pracice breathing deeply and counting to ten, it is amazing what is the end-of-the-world in the eyes of a two year old.
    Don't let me put you off though!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

It was my fave age till my son turned 2. Now I can't stand it. 2 year olds are hard work 24/7 but for little stints I love them.

Post Thanks / Like

What about our and about (short trips) with them? Are they walking generally or in pushchairs or in reins etc?

What are nappy changes like and food times?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    What about our and about (short trips) with them? Are they walking generally or in pushchairs or in reins etc?

I have 2 year olds walking holding buggy/holding hand or on a toddler-backpack-strap. I have them walking 30 mins to and 30 min from an activity with no problems (usually! except the tantrums, so I have a buggy board available for tired legs!)

Nappy changes- no problems, potty training can start in the 2s for some (some are not ready until 3)

Food times- can be very fussy eaters, they feed themselves so no problems there, in highchair/booster up at main dining table.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its different to every 2 year old.

Some 2 year olds will walk very long distances some will stay in a pushchair.
    Some will be fussy eaters some will have varied diet.
    Nappy changes same as all the others as and when they need it some will be quick to potty train some will be nearer 3 or a bit later.

These questions will vary to each and every 2 year old.

its a wait and see to the 2 year old but as the others have said its an lovely age full of wonder and excitement with the odd tantrum thrown in for good measure just to make life interesting
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Simona Guest

I know nothing about this age group and wondered what considerations I should take into account if taking on a child of this age? Any negatives, positives etc? Thanks :-)
    It may be useful to read about 2 year olds in order to be able to address their unique phase of development....some love them some find them hard work.
    Tantrums...yes if you are not able to predict what triggers them and have good boundaries and rules...they will be a true test for you and any 2 year old.

It is a fascinating age in terms of learning as everything seems to happen at that age...but...as Fussy said...each child is unique and so will your own child be.

Be prepared...get hold of a very good child development chart or book such as Tina Bruce.... and also the Foundation Years guidance 'What to expect, when?' is useful to discuss progress with parents and the inspector when she comes along and you have to show how you teach a 2 year old.

Have you come across 'The twoness of two'? good research

https://www.leyf.org.uk/blog/wp-cont...Twos-Final.pdf