Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

GOSH you sound like me I have 2 before/after schoolies, a 3 day a week 3 year old and a very part time on a rota 3 year old ! At Christmas I had 13 contracts on the go for various hours!

now I am not getting serious enquries, they are all ifs and whats and nothing comes of them.

Not good as we are husband and wife team so our only income - I am advertising everywhere I am allowed, and going to toddler groups/childrens centre etc - but so are 3 other childminders!

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

there is supposed to be a massive demand for childcare, banded about the press etc. but people are still afraid to commit to paying for registered childcare in this difficult economic time

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Vistaprint magnetic car signs - I'm not sure if they have every brought me any enquiries but they make me a better driver and curb my road rage even when I don't have mindees in the car!

Do you have NCT sales in your town, it may be worth contacting them to see if you can put your business cards in their goody bags or you could just stand outside the venue and hand out leaflets and business cards to people going in and out (you aren't allowed to go in and hand out info without permission first though).

I currently only have vacancies on a Monday & Friday which don't suit people who want to work part time so they can go away for long weekends however as Bunyip says I'm thinking of people who would want those days and considering asking if I can advertise on a staff notice board at our local Centre Parcs as cleaners there mostly work only Monday & Friday's (change over days).

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primrosecottage View Post
    I may consider some more ad hoc arrangements to fill spaces in the short term, as parents do like maximum flexibility I have found! I would be interested in the extra terms and conditions you would suggest I should include if this situation would arise in the future.
    I've sent these by PM.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

there is supposed to be a massive demand for childcare, banded about the press etc. but people are still afraid to commit to paying for registered childcare in this difficult economic time
    I think there are several things going on.

There's quite a variation from place to place in the relationship between supply and demand for childcare. It's about being on top of your research and business plan before registering, rather than the 'Field of Dreams' approach to setting up in business. But I say this as one who was taken in hook, line and sinker by the positive responses I had amongst mums when they heard I was going to register.

Some of the supposed demand the press base stories on isn't really there. Government makes statements about how may EY education places are needed. But these are needed to meet political aspirations to "educate" 2 year olds. That is very different from the mums of those 2 year olds even wanting to let them go to an EY setting, never mind whether they'd pay to do it. Ministers forget that a lot of parents still have children because they'd like to enjoy their company, not have them used to meet DofE targets.

Plus, mums say one thing and do the other. As mentioned above, when I was pre-reg, a lot of local mums said how great it would be to have another CM in the village. I was taken in and believed mistakenly that meant those mums would be queuing outside my door once my reg certificate arrived. Nothing could've been further from the truth. AT best, they were just well-meaning people saying "the right thing". At worst, the meant, "more competition: great - that'll drive down the price of childcare around here."

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks bunyip, you are a forum star

Simona Guest

There is...I believe...a shortage of childcare spaces which is different from there being a demand and not enough supply.

Having said that the DfE has published the names of LAs who do not comply with the Childcare Act and provide enough spaces...not really sure what they are supposed to do but that is a question the DfE can reply to....take the example of cms for a start whose number has dropped to just over 45,000.

There is shortage of care for disabled children and holiday care, according to the Family and Daycare Trust who co0mplain care is too expensive while wanting it high quality a but affordable!
    The DfE has come to the rescue now by announcing that, from Jan 2016, cms can register various setting in one registration and work in them....only time will tell if that will work.
    It was Truss' idea of 'freeing cms'...while her agency was supposed to have hundreds coming into the profession...she was delusional!

Wind forward to 30 hours of childcare and then yes the demand will increase but providers cannot offer all of the hours....it is a govt's mess

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose its all down to all the local families having a childcare need, and then them thinking 'oh there's a childminder who lives down the road', this only comes through a childminder becoming established first and foremost.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks bunyip, you are a forum star
    I've been called other things. The sort of things that get 'starred'-out on message boards.

..................usually by Mrs bunyip.

Post Thanks / Like

Some childminders I know (of) have waiting lists because they're so popular, how do you ever get to that stage?!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Some childminders I know (of) have waiting lists because they're so popular, how do you ever get to that stage?!
    It's being recommended and people seeing you out and about and wanting you to care for their children. I have a waiting list ... But they all want the days I can't do! And the one who did want the day I have available has decided to stay at home!

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I started out leaving a full time secure job and was very nervous about it all BUT I got one full timer straight away & luckily got full time twins who were enough to live off so had a very easy 5 years + with just the 3 children!

Since then (touch wood) ive scraped by BUT (as ive posted) I have funded children and find the whole random income hard work. I like to know when im being paid, what I can spend and when and its not as much fun if im honest worrying about it.

Ive just re advertised, something ive never really had to do before. Ive had 3 enquiries in the last 3 days and have 2 parents coming to see me so fingers crossed.

I do flyers at school, advertising on my car, chat to other childminders, FB, newsletters to parents showing what I have as some may want to increase hours, childcare sites, do you have a website?

I usually find something comes up..good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12