Prepping for an ofsted inspection
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prepping for an ofsted inspection

I had my last inspection 3 years ago so trying to work out when I'm due again (given the supposed backlogs Ofsted have). Thinking it could be any point now.

Is there anything worth looking at to review where I currently am, what they will expect and what I need to do to get a good inspection?

Post Thanks / Like

Also how do the inspection cycles work?

Ive taken this from the ofsted framework...

We will inspect all other providers who were on the Early Years Register on 1 September 2012, at least once by 31 July 2016. For those providers that were not on the Early Years Register on 1 September 2012 and have registered after this date, we normally inspect these newly registered providers within 30 months of their registration. After this inspection, we will inspect the provision at least once in every inspection cycle.

Im a December 2012 starter so when can I expect to be inspected?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stacieepg View Post
    Also how do the inspection cycles work?

Ive taken this from the ofsted framework...

We will inspect all other providers who were on the Early Years Register on 1 September 2012, at least once by 31 July 2016. For those providers that were not on the Early Years Register on 1 September 2012 and have registered after this date, we normally inspect these newly registered providers within 30 months of their registration. After this inspection, we will inspect the provision at least once in every inspection cycle.

Im a December 2012 starter so when can I expect to be inspected?
    You will need to be inspected before the end of the current cycle which is 2016
    If you are waiting for your first inspection that should have been around June 2015 to cover the 30 months...counting from Dec 2012 ...June 2015 makes it 30 months...have you not been inspected yet? Or have I miscalculated?

I do know that some have gone over the 30 months...that is Ofsted for you!

Post Thanks / Like

I had my first inspection July 2013

Simona Guest

I had my first inspection July 2013
    I think you are safe then...some cms have not been inspected since 2009/2010...a long time for some!
    If you need more information Ofsted presented this at their Common Inspection Framework launch...do you have a link to that?.

Post Thanks / Like

When should they be inspecting me again then do you think?

Oh yeah another question... Should I get a new certificate every year when I renew my ofsted or does my initial cert stand

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No you don't get a new certificate ...

If you have been inspected in this cycle (2012 - 2016) you are unlikely to be inspected again until the next 4 year cycle from Sept 2016... unless there is a complaint made against you.

I hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone.
    So is this the case even if the inspection in the current cycle was my first inspection?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone.
    So is this the case even if the inspection in the current cycle was my first inspection?
    By 'My first inspection' you do mean a graded inspection, don't you? Rather than the pre-reg Ofsted visit?
    You will be inspected (graded inspection) once in an inspection cycle.
    A lot of inspections happening now are for CMers who last had a graded inspection in 2009/10/11. 4, 5, 6 years is common at the moment.

What was your last grade? That can effect the interval before your next inspection-

You can do you own local research by looking at Ofsted reports website, scroll down to search by 'date published', look at your area for inspections in the last month and look at the dates in the reports for 'last inspection date'. You can see that they prioritize those on the lowest grades and are running at about 4-6 years for previous 'good' grades. I have not seen an 'outstanding' CMer re-inspected locally or a loooong time!

You always need to be working as if Ofsted were about to turn up, though, as you never know when an inspector might just 'be in the area' and decide to give you a ring, or if a complaint is made against you (which maybe completely false of course but they still investigate).

Simona Guest

Thank you everyone.
    If you were inspected in 2013 then you should be ok this cycle...unless, as said by others, Ofsted,Tribal or Prospect get notification of a complaint against you....which would trigger an inspection again even if you have had a recent one....mind you it would depend on the complaint if the inspection would be immediate or deferred until your due inspection.
    All this is in the Ofsted.guidance

If a provider is not graded good/outstanding but RI or Inadequate then they would be reinspected within a short time....it does not sound as if this is you?

Ofsted are well behind with inspection for reasons well known ...but they have now sorted their mess and are on course to inspect every provider before the cycle ends in 2016...what happens after no one knows but listening to Wilshaw may give us a hint.

No you don't get a new certificate every year when you renew your registration...so keep the original safe

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Yeah it was a graded inspection where I was graded as Good.

That's refreshing. Just trying to get everything straight now, is there a list anywhere that shows everything ofsted want to see such as LJs, planning etc so I can do a thorough audit

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

That's refreshing. Just trying to get everything straight now, is there a list anywhere that shows everything ofsted want to see such as LJs, planning etc so I can do a thorough audit
    Look in free resources above:

Evaluation schedule

And the new inspection regime from Sept 2015:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...for-inspectors

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ears-providers

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you I'll take a look

Simona Guest

Hi,

tribal or Prospect will judge you by how you deliver care and education as per EYFS...they want to see evidence as per EYFS ...no more.
    as you have been inspected already you will now be ready to update your practice for the new Common Inspection Framework...the EYFS remains the same at the moment but several policies need updating.

it may help if you subscribe to Ofsted News via email and all the updates pop into your inbox.....also worth subscribing to Foundation Years website...very useful updates there too!
    Some LAs still keep cms updated via newsletter

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it