Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Umbrellas

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Umbrellas

So, what are your thoughts on young children (toddlers) with umbrellas. Please tell me I am not the only miserable old bag who hates toddlers walking with them. I'm talking about 2 / 3 yr olds.

xx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooh, this should be an interesting thread! I have mixed thoughts. Kids love them and I don't mind if we are going out for a little walk around the block - the type of walk where you are literally just out for a walk to 'see what we can see' as I call them - you know, where you have no time constraints and it doesn't matter how far you get etc. If you are on the school run or something they can be annoying and even dangerous because the kids get distracted. You also take up half the pavement, whack each other on the head, they slow you down so you are actually out in the rain for longer etc. There's a time and a place I think...

3. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Oooh, this should be an interesting thread! I have mixed thoughts. Kids love them and I don't mind if we are going out for a little walk around the block - the type of walk where you are literally just out for a walk to 'see what we can see' as I call them - you know, where you have no time constraints and it doesn't matter how far you get etc. If you are on the school run or something they can be annoying and even dangerous because the kids get distracted. You also take up half the pavement, whack each other on the head, they slow you down so you are actually out in the rain for longer etc. There's a time and a place I think...
    My thoughts exactly.
    If we are out on a walk to the park, lake etc then fine. BUT, when I am doing a school run with a double buggy, and 2 toddlers, one of whom is a terrible walker, always falling over fresh air and this one wants to hold his umbrella, no no no no. So I have told him no he is not taking it , we will all use our hoods if it rains, he is not happy but I really can't be doing with it, for safety reasons.

xxx

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

im also the same. There is a time and place for everything and a school run is not the place for childrens umbrellas.

I also dont mind if it is one or two children but forget it on a wednesday after school as I have 12 children to get home (with a helper)

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here, time and a place, etc.

On the one hand, kids love them and I think they can be useful for helping kids to develop co ordination and spatial awareness (i.e. keeping the ****** things upright, folding them away, etc), on the other hand, if we're going anywhere with a lot of people then they're more harm than they're worth!

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad it isn't just me then lol. I will have 7 children to walk home after school today and no-one will be using an umbrella, especially not a 2yr old.
    If he were the only LO I had then I wouldn't mind but not today I'm afraid.

xxx

12. Likes shortstuff, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    I'm glad it isn't just me then lol. I will have 7 children to walk home after school today and no-one will be using an umbrella, especially not a 2yr old. If he were the only LO I had then I wouldn't mind but not today I'm afraid. xxx
    7 children? Oh my god how Dyou manage that?!! I'm in awe!! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else if it was a short walk with 1/2 children fine, but on the school run NO, NO, NO!!!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm pushing a buggy and therefore can't have an umbrella then no one else is allowed either - one wet, all wet here!

16. Likes shortstuff, AliceK liked this post