Any experience of molloscum?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any experience of molloscum?

Parent has just messaged me, her 2 year old started coming out in spots last thurs, took to Dr that day and they say they didn't have the usual yellow/white pus of chicken pox so he's said its molloscum and to carry on as usual.
    Spots are scabbjng over and stopped appearing today.
    My worry is it is chicken pox as she says he's pretty covered, and I can't find anything online about molloscum scabbjng over in a matter of days, it's more like 6-18 months!! Obviously I can't exclude for molloscum if it's going to go on that long, even though internet says it's highly contagious.
    What should I do? I'm thinking ask her to keep him off until all the spots that are on areas that can touch others ie arms and legs are scanned over, does that sound reasonable?
    Hard if the Dr has said one thing yet the symptoms she's describing don't seem to match.
    I don't want everyone else getting chicken pox! Or molloscum for that matter but seems there's not a lot I can do about that one.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like you say if it's molluscum it will be there for months and while it's contagious you can't exclude you just have to keep hand washing, toy cleaning etc.

If it's chicken pox the worst time for transmitting it is before the spots come out. However, we don't normally have children back until scabbed over as you say.

I think mum needs to take lo back to the doctor x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

From my experience of Molluscum, they are flesh coloured pimples that come and go on their own. They are contagious but can last for years. They are wart/verruca family.

I haven't had any experience of them scabbing over so cant really comment. I didn't think they did.
    I would just try and keep them covered and be vigilant with the touching of them. lots of hand washing etc.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

4. Likes lollipop kid, loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

My son had them, they lasted best part of a year! Doctors wouldn't/couldn't do anything for them but they drove me mad so I went to a herbalist and within weeks they had gone.

Yes they say they are contagious but none of us in the family caught them. With your normal hygiene things in place I don't think it would be a problem.

Oh..I also don't know about them scabbing over as my sons didn't..unless of course they have been scratching them?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has had them on and off for years and none of us have ever caught them. They last for ages and ages. They only scab if they are scratched, but you really have to go to town on them to get them to "break" The description really doesn't sound very Molluscum. Especially as they are all over too.
    Many years ago I did have a minded child who had them and again none of the others ever caught them. They were on his legs. They are quite distinctive as they tend to be more flesh like than chicken pox and have a dimply look to the centre rather then the raised centres of chicken pox.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has had them on and off for years and none of us have ever caught them. They last for ages and ages. They only scab if they are scratched, but you really have to go to town on them to get them to "break" The description really doesn't sound very Molluscum. Especially as they are all over too.
    Many years ago I did have a minded child who had them and again none of the others ever caught them. They were on his legs. They are quite distinctive as they tend to be more flesh like than chicken pox and have a dimply look to the centre rather then the raised centres of chicken pox.
    comparrison shot
    http://images.medicinenet.com/images...infections.jpg

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know several children who have had molluscom for several years ... eventually they vanish!
    But I've know never known any to scab over unless they've been scratched.

Post Thanks / Like

I had molluscom as a child they never scabbed over and I had to have them frozen off in the end. No one in the house caught them off me.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

They are strange looking things, the ones I saw looked like little bubbles or mushrooms raised from the skin.

It was this time of year, and the child's eczema had flared up on legs, back of knees and inside elbows. In the centre of every patch of red inflames eczema was a molluscum. He was infecting himself in a new place every time he scratched.

I think that as the eczema cleared , so did the molluscum said.

If the parent is insistent that they are molluscums , and not chicken pox, I would be popping into the chemist after the school run, and accidentally bumping into the pharmacist.

11. Likes Cavegirl liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Well he's here and I'm fairly sure it's chicken pox...there's a new blister on his foot, the others are all big scabs, he's got it mildly but the blister on his foot is exactly like my sons were, he's got socks on and is in long sleeves and trousers, just scabbed ones on back and tummy, keeping close eye, any more blisters appear and he's off home!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

From what you are describing it does sound like chicken pox

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    Parent has just messaged me, her 2 year old started coming out in spots last thurs, took to Dr that day and they say they didn't have the usual yellow/white pus of chicken pox so he's said its molloscum and to carry on as usual.
    Spots are scabbjng over and stopped appearing today.
    My worry is it is chicken pox as she says he's pretty covered, and I can't find anything online about molloscum scabbjng over in a matter of days, it's more like 6-18 months!! Obviously I can't exclude for molloscum if it's going to go on that long, even though internet says it's highly contagious.
    What should I do? I'm thinking ask her to keep him off until all the spots that are on areas that can touch others ie arms and legs are scanned over, does that sound reasonable?
    Hard if the Dr has said one thing yet the symptoms she's describing don't seem to match.
    I don't want everyone else getting chicken pox! Or molloscum for that matter but seems there's not a lot I can do about that one.
    Molluscum is listed on page 5 in Public Health England (PHE) guidance for schools and childcare settings
    It is not chicken pox

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ls_11_Sept.pdf

More info on NHS Choices

Molluscum contagiosum - NHS Choices
    Last edited by Simona; 06-07-2015 at 11:31 AM.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I saw today it's definitely not molluscum, he's covered in lots of big red scabs and many of the original crusted spots are coming off already just 5 days on...plus the new big blisters on his hand and 3 on his foot, and his older sister told me he had lots more spots and has been having special cream on the spots at bedtime to stop them itching and medicine at bedtime...
    Pleased I sent him home, mum sort of agreed it could be chicken pox... I bet nursery won't take him tomorrow and Wed, wish I'd not taken him this morning as I am not convinced he's had no new spots since Sat if 4 appeared just this morning!
    Lesson learned will be firmer next time!

Simona Guest

From what I saw today it's definitely not molluscum, he's covered in lots of big red scabs and many of the original crusted spots are coming off already just 5 days on...plus the new big blisters on his hand and 3 on his foot, and his older sister told me he had lots more spots and has been having special cream on the spots at bedtime to stop them itching and medicine at bedtime...
    Pleased I sent him home, mum sort of agreed it could be chicken pox... I bet nursery won't take him tomorrow and Wed, wish I'd not taken him this morning as I am not convinced he's had no new spots since Sat if 4 appeared just this morning!
    Why don't you say to mum that you are concerned the GP has the diagnosis wrong and you think it is not molluscum?
    If the child has special cream has the parent not informed you?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not mollescum. Glad you sent him home.

I don't know how a GP can get mixed up with Mollescum and Chicken pox...they are very different. I'm wondering if Mum had an urgent day at work and needed to go in. I would wonder if she had told me the truth about what the dr. said (but that's just me )
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Well according to his sister he's not gone to nursery today as he's getting more spots...mum took him thurs morn so when there were just a couple of spots that hadn't scabbed so maybe at that early stage it looked like molluscum, I suggested they go back.
    No mention of special cream or being on medication, although mum did ask yesterday of his temp had gone up, which again makes me slightly suspicious he wasn't as well in himself all weekend as she first led me to believe.
    Yes maybe a day at work she couldn't miss although she'll be at home the rest of the week now I expect!