Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fitrix View Post
    Think I'm getting old and cranky!!!
    I'm already there!

Sexism alert ! I do feel that, as a man, I have the advantage. I'm capable of totally ignoring any 'phone. I know of very few females who can do that.

But I do understand what you mean about having to keep the 'phone switched on when you might be needed for emergency. I had the same when my father-in-law was in his last few years and mother-in-law might need us at any time to deal with a fall, etc. Some people will take advantage of that 'availability', and it's not nice.

In those circumstances, I'd be sorely tempted to reply about 0530 the next morning.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    Don't understand why you don't have work phones separate from your personal ones if this is a problem and as said before give specific hours for contact availability x
    Because it's hard enough remembering 1 one haha! Oh and cost - I know you can put it through 100% if a work phone, but I'm not running 2 phones for sure x

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Eeee, when I wor a lad we didn't have 2 'phones each. We had 1 'phone between 2 families and thought ourselves lucky.

Anybody else remember having a party line and considering themselves well off?

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Eeee, when I wor a lad we didn't have 2 'phones each. We had 1 'phone between 2 families and thought ourselves lucky.

I remember thinking I was doing well if there were still window panes in the red phone box (and no puddle of wee-wee and a working phone were distinct bonuses!)

L

6. Likes bunyip, Maza, mama2three liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the "not knowing the number of the person who might call" point - if you have an I phone you can set up 'repeated calls' as part of the do not disturb function, so that if the same person rings you twice within 3 minutes it will override the do not disturb. I have that, as well as the allow calls from favourites on my do not disturb so I know that in an emergency someone could still get through (but I don't get woken up by every email or text!)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    I remember thinking I was doing well if there were still window panes in the red phone box (and no puddle of wee-wee and a working phone were distinct bonuses!)

L
    Ooooooh yes. When you accidentally dropped your 2p coin on the floor and just left it there rather than risk catching something.

9. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

I remember we had a home phone. But it was one with a dial n mum put a lock on it. She had the only key :-(

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I remember we had a home phone. But it was one with a dial n mum put a lock on it. She had the only key :-(
    Oh, we're way off-topic now, but what fun.

Before we got a party-line (when I was 16) we had to use a neighbour's 'phone for those important calls that deserved better than the urine-stinking call box up the street. Lots of people let neighbours use their 'phone and they all had a not-entirely-discreet little money box on the telephone table by way of a hint: usually emblazoned with "A present from Scarborough" or similar.

12. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My mum put a lock on ours too! I used to hate it when she started getting itemised bills and could see what I had been up to! We were one of the first people to get a phone on our street (God knows why, we were usually a decade behind on things like a colour tv) and everyone used to come and use our phone. It started to annoy my mum because they would leave a 10p coin even though they had clearly used more than 10ps worth.

Before we had a phone I remember going to the phone box with my mum while she made all her calls. She would wait until she had a list of calls to make before going. I then used to sit on the pavement outside waiting for what seemed like an eternity. Do you remember doing 'reverse charges'. Also, looking up people's phone numbers in the big books which got delivered with the Yellow Pages. I remember when we were getting our first phone we had a family discussion on whether it should be red, green or cream. We also had to buy a 'telephone stand' and it doubled up as a coat rack. When I got a bit older and had boyfriends or needed private conversations with my friends I used to go mad if people needed the loo and had to get past me on the stairs where we used to sit whilst on the phone - no locking yourself away in bedrooms in those days!

14. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Even further off topic.

Goodness knows how my mum afforded a phone. Everything else seemed to require money to work. Like the electric n gas meters n even the tv! We used to get sent round the neighbours asking if they had 50p's in change lol

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Annoying!!!!

I set my mobile to silent until I'm ready in the morning. If anything is urgent we've land line or husbo phone.
    I try not to reply to texts or emails later than 8, ad think this creates an expectation with parents. So when I reply I say sorry didn't reply sooner, I don't check my phone after work hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12