Keeping childs confidential info
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping childs confidential info

Can anyone just clarify that as long as the information we keep about a child is kept securely and out of sight that it doesn't need to be locked?
    Anyone know wHats acceptable?

Registered Childminder since
    july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure it does not need to be locked away.
    Just make sure it is not around for just anyone to pick up and browse through.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it had to be in a lockable filing cabinet? Not sure now if you say that but I think it's obviously important not to leave information laying around for people to see xx

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Can anyone just clarify that as long as the information we keep about a child is kept securely and out of sight that it doesn't need to be locked?
    Anyone know wHats acceptable?
    EYFS p 29 sections 3.68 3.69 and 3.70 give guidance on how records must be accessible and available to those who have right to access or professional need to see them.
    They have to be securely stored so no member of the public can access them nor your family. Keep then out of reach of your children.

Lots of records are now online and those are protected by Data Protection and ICO membership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    EYFS p 29 sections 3.68 3.69 and 3.70 give guidance on how records must be accessible and available to those who have right to access or professional need to see them.
    They have to be securely stored so no member of the public can access them nor your family. Keep then out of reach of your children.

Lots of records are now online and those are protected by Data Protection and ICO membership.
    Thanks Simona, this is where I am unsure though because if I held them upstairs in our study (not used for minding) then my partner could *in theory* access him (not that he would or would want to!) so therefore the only way i can really claim they are safe is if i lock them away but that just seems really OTT?!

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lockable filing cabinet for all mine x eBay often have them cheap an cheerful

7. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Thanks Simona, this is where I am unsure though because if I held them upstairs in our study (not used for minding) then my partner could *in theory* access him (not that he would or would want to!) so therefore the only way i can really claim they are safe is if i lock them away but that just seems really OTT?!
    Rubybubbles' suggestion of a lockable box is really good...make sure you can have it at hand for inspection as you may need some records as evidence on the day.

In your SEF, where you cover the Records welfare requirement, state you keep them in your office so out of reach of the public.

Post Thanks / Like

Ikea have lockable files