Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you think they may cancel?

Had a lovely family visit last Wednesday. Looking for one days care for a 14mth old and 3 1/2 year old. Meeting went well except baby slept for most of the meeting. Mum happy and wanted to come back next day, just with baby to see if he was comfortable.

Return visit I was put under the spotlight a bit more. Mum went round my setting advising me of all the things her baby DS would climb on, drag off, go through and pull apart! This annoyed me slightly.

She also said that her husband would want to visit at the weekend and asked if she could have a chat or email some current or ex parents by way of a reference. This I didn't mind.

So I contacted my parents and sent her details of a couple of families. I have had no response to this yet. Not even a "Thanks for that". Also they made no attempt to contact me to arrange for her husband to visit.

They were due to come back tomorrow morning to sign paperwork as she wanted to start the children on Thursday.

Have a feeling they won't be back :-(

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does sound like they may not be back But also like it may be for the best for you in the long run: A 13mth old only coming 1 day per week, with parents who may not form the most supportive relationship with you, may well be challenging for everyone concerned, not least the 13mth old x

3. Likes funemnx liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked with your families to find out if she has been in touch with them? It might be they have decided to defer the start date for now. Ask your current families (the ones you gave the contact details of) and see what they say.

If they haven't called the families, then don't beat yourself up! One day a week? Great if your other 4 days are full - rubbish if they're only going to block that space should another family need 5 days a week.

Sounds to me like they were trying to find reasons to convince good old Granny to step in for that day "as there are just too many risks for little Johnny at a Childminder's, and we should know, we've looked at loads!!!".

The right family will be along soon - wait and see.

Plus, I've found in the past that even if the family doesn't join your setting, sometimes they actually sing your praises to friends and some of them contact you instead.

All the best,

L
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 06-05-2015 at 07:22 AM.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mum hasn't followed up references yet. It's a bit frustrating as I don't know whether to expect them or not. Don't have a mobile number for them yet and I know they have swimming lessons this morning so can't even ring to check if they are still on for later.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    Mum hasn't followed up references yet. It's a bit frustrating as I don't know whether to expect them or not. Don't have a mobile number for them yet and I know they have swimming lessons this morning so can't even ring to check if they are still on for later.
    I would assume they're not coming. I wouldn't even wait in for them, to be honest. This is just rude behaviour and not the kind of treatment you want from parents. I'd lay odds that they've got a family member lined up to step in.

Chalk this one down and move on.

All the best,

L

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    I would assume they're not coming. I wouldn't even wait in for them, to be honest. This is just rude behaviour and not the kind of treatment you want from parents. I'd lay odds that they've got a family member lined up to step in.

Chalk this one down and move on.

All the best,

L
    I must admit I would do the same. They haven't had the courtesy to get back to you about last weekend or anything else so I wouldn't put myself out waiting for them. Re-advertise the space and get someone who can at least show you a little bit of respect / good manners.

xxx

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it strange how this happens. At first she was really happy then more critical on 2nd visit. She could have easily let you know either way, I do think that is inconsiderate.
    I had a family I had got to know socially at football club. She spoke to me informally saying 'would really like my lo to come to you' Sge wasn't even that bothered about visiting, I asked her to anyway to complete paperwork and have a look around.
    She came and was so critical of my house, looked through all my paperwork, want references and asked to come again with hubby. Got these to her then she took 3 weeks to decide to sign or not!
    Finally signed but they haven't been the easiest to work with. Usually don't pay on time. I have older sibling after school who is very disruptive and upsets the other children. The little one is lovely actually

That first meeting in hindsight was very insightful and wish I'd gone with my instinct as knew something wasn't right

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did they come?

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they did! Came with all paperwork signed, cash for the deposit. Her husband had been a bit poorly so wasn't up for coming and she just hadn't got round to references. We had a bit of a discussion over a extended period of leave she was after but apart from that all fine.

Her daughter had a right strop about leaving to go to nursery but we managed her between us. So fingers crossed. My gut instinct appeared to be wrong on this one. Hopefully it will stay that way. (just seem to be getting "odd" people phoning or coming through me door, at the moment)

11. Likes lollipop kid, Maza liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Glad I'm not a Bookie! Called that one wrong.

Hope it goes well for you.

Fingers crossed.

L

13. Likes Maza liked this post