Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Home Insurance. Who do you use please as ours has been cancelled

Our Insurance company have just issued us with a notice to cancel our house and contents insurance as they don't cover for over 6 children (this was one of the many, seemingly irrelevent questions they asked me during our last claim). When we took out the insurance they didn't mention this, depsite knowing I was a CM (although I had few children then as I was just back after mat leave). We are fuming but as it's cancelled from Monday we urgently need cover. Can you tell me who you use please and, if possible, what you pay.

Many thanks

Susie

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use direct line but I am limited to 6 children by planning laws. They know I am a minder but have not asked how many I look after. Morton Michel & Pacey Bluefin are supposed to be tailored for childminders

Post Thanks / Like

I use Pacey Bluefin and would recommend I don't pay a huge amount more than my last provider but the cover is very comprehensive and tailored to childminders.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tiredandemotional View Post

Our Insurance company have just issued us with a notice to cancel our house and contents insurance as they don't cover for over 6 children (this was one of the many, seemingly irrelevent questions they asked me during our last claim). When we took out the insurance they didn't mention this, depsite knowing I was a CM (although I had few children then as I was just back after mat leave). We are fuming but as it's cancelled from Monday we urgently need cover. Can you tell me who you use please and, if possible, what you pay.

Many thanks

Susie
    Have you checked if your insurance can cancel your cover at such short notice?
    it seems a drastic step to take without a period of notice if your cover is at the moment 'current' and they did renew the policy knowing you are a cm?
    I would check and also report it to your representing association....I think this will happen more and more and was predicted when the govt changed the ratios.

I too am with Bluefin and yes I would recommend them too.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Morton Michel- would recommend them. I am a Pacey member but I found MM home insurance had the best price for us, good service (a real person picks up the phone!) and when I made a claim it all went through well.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with legal and general, not sue on limits as I work on my own so could only have 6 at one time anyway but very good price and maybe worth a call

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Churchill. Have also used Direct Line.

8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    I'm with legal and general, not sue on limits as I work on my own so could only have 6 at one time anyway but very good price and maybe worth a call
    What about if you have 8+yr olds then you could go over 6 as that only applies to under 8yrs.

OP, I am through MM too, they also cover me for accidental damage whilst working which many others don't.

xx

Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Churchill too...they don't charge any extra for being a childminder.

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

AliceK 6 is more than enough for me! ;-) only have a lower school I collect from so know I wont have any demand for over 8s so wouldnt have paid attention to limit on numbers as I know I wouldn't have more than 6...xx

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiredandemotional View Post

Many thanks

Susie
    Who are you with? Do they only cover you for 6 in total or 6 under 8's?
    I've had no problems with Tesco or Privilege and I have 9 mindees most days. (4 are over 8yrs) Can't remember who I'm with atm.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Another one with Churchill here. I've also got car insurance with them so get a discount.

15. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Morton Michel (contents only because I rent).

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Who are you with? Do they only cover you for 6 in total or 6 under 8's?
    I've had no problems with Tesco or Privilege and I have 9 mindees most days. (4 are over 8yrs) Can't remember who I'm with atm.
    I'm with Covea and tbh they are appalling. They've just turned down our claim for water damage from.our shower-claiming it's wear and tear! We've appealed so I can't help thinking this cancellation is 'revenge'! I'm just waiting to hear back from them as from tomorrow we won't be covered. They saidI can only hace 6 in total, tthey take no notice of ofsted ratios (as of my 7/8 1 or 2 are obviously 8+) it makes me wonder if lots of cms are oblivious to this rule as the broker said all their insurance companies stick to that rule. Xx

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am with MM - last time I looked to try and change to get a cheaper price but when I did price comparisons it looked ok but I always phoned but the terms and conditions were always restrictive so I went back to Morton Michel.....they are a bit more expensive but at least they cover everything.....

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you got cover.

For those of you using Blu Fin just so you are aware they are actually nothing to do with Pacey they are just an Insurance Broker like Morton Michel who search for the best insurance company to suit our individual needs.

Those of you who have more than 6 children of any age in your house you need to check with your local Planning Dept that they don't need you to get Planning Permission.

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Those of you who have more than 6 children of any age in your house you need to check with your local Planning Dept that they don't need you to get Planning Permission.
    Sorry to hijack your thread tiredandemotional, but can I ask rickysmiths: Does this include your own children or just mindees?

I currently have 3 EY mindees, and my own 3 children (aged 8yrs +), but I'd like to know in case I take on any schoolies in future.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I believe it does for Insurance if they say a max of six children especially if any of yours are under 8. You need to contact your local Authority Planning Dept for numbers but again my understanding is it is a total number when you are childminding irrespective of age. The thing is I think is that 6 and under is not considered a business.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I believe it does for Insurance if they say a max of six children especially if any of yours are under 8. You need to contact your local Authority Planning Dept for numbers but again my understanding is it is a total number when you are childminding irrespective of age. The thing is I think is that 6 and under is not considered a business.
    I agree Rickysmith, it's not something I had realised before but I am now considering reoraganising and restricting my mindees to keep it below the 6 threshold. x

Simona Guest

I hope you got cover.

For those of you using Blu Fin just so you are aware they are actually nothing to do with Pacey they are just an Insurance Broker like Morton Michel who search for the best insurance company to suit our individual needs.

I have been with Bluefin for 14 years...I think you are mistaken RS...they were called something else before and I can't remember the name now.

They are linked to Pacey and it is a discussion I have had with them very recently....as I need to speak to them today I will ask again.
    If I remember correctly their link to Pacey is in the advertising stuff...if you google it will clearly say Bluefin work in partnership with pacey. The good thing is that you do not have to be pacey member to get insurance from them

It is good for CMs to know what number of children are covered under our policy...my concern is to do with the OP: the policy was cancelled immediately...that would worry me if an insurer can do so without notice?
    also 'accidental damage ' is now standard in most household insurances.

There are many insurers out there but far too many of them are reluctant to insure CMs...I could name a few well known names.
    MM is certainly good but they are very expensive...yes they are brokers like Bluefin but not that competitive...is their cover better than others? I don't think so but as said it is what suits each Cm...always read the small print though!

With regards to the LAs restrictions on numbers we can look after it is worth checking because the govt has removed many of the obstacles about 'planning' restrictions.
    Last edited by Simona; 28-04-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast