Labour manifesto ‘guarantees’ primary school childcare until 6pm
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Labour manifesto ‘guarantees’ primary school childcare until 6pm

I'm worried this policy will put me out of work caring for school children before and after school. Do you think schools will have to provide childcare on their premises or just be able to direct parents to childminders and other after school clubs?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

doG knows. Their last botched attempt at "extended services" was about as much use as a 1 legged man in an 4r5e-kicking contest, so why should this get any further?

Anyhow, given the amount of horse-trading that'll be going on come 8th May, I'd treat any "manifesto promise" as just so much waste paper.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Not all schools will want to run an after school club. They asked the parents at my local primary school (50 pupils) and NO-ONE wanted a club. But then, they don't seem to need CM care around here either.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HandD View Post
    I'm worried this policy will put me out of work caring for school children before and after school. Do you think schools will have to provide childcare on their premises or just be able to direct parents to childminders and other after school clubs?
    Many many schools already do that....the service is either run by the school staff themselves or others not connected with the school.
    The problem with this policy is that parents also need care during the holidays and the policy is not clear on that
    Also many nurseries are now taking and collecting children from school.
    This is all to do with expansion and the now so called 'childcare market' and competition.

A while back, Truss asked all parents 'demand' schools stay open 8-6pm and Gove was keen on them staying open in summer too.
    Truss also said Cms could run these sort of clubs with 30 children and whoever run them need no qualifications.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My school opens 7.50am until 6pm during term time but still a lot of parents use childminders. My AS rate for a schoolie who I have had since he was at nursery works out at the same £ as the after school club but with me he gets a hot meal after school.
    I don't advertise for school children so only look after the ones who I have had as pre-schoolers. My worry is if schools / nurseries have to offer 30hrs free childcare for 2/3 yr olds. I'm not sure how that will affect us as childminders. That doesn't leave us with many hours

xxx

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we could be squeezed out. But we may have to be a bit cleverer. If the school club runs from 7.45 until 6, when we can be open from 7.30 until 6.15. Even a small time difference can make a huge difference to parents.

I had a parent who said with a straight face that she chose me over the nursery she was using was that it didn't matter if she was late!!!!