Tapestry (or other online system) users....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tapestry (or other online system) users....

Hi all (sorry if this isn't in the right place), I'm looking at switching over to an online system but just wanted to ask others if they found it easy? There are so many systems it's crazy, but I'm liking the look of Tapestry. I only started working in September so don't have a massive amount, but would you start online at the start of term and from then on - or would you go back and basically copy everything over that's on paper? Hope that makes sense!

Has anyone switched to online then wished they hadn't? I'm mainly looking to do it as I hate writing and just think it would look nicer. The only drawback is I think some parents would like it on paper to keep - but I think it could be printed anyway?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a paid for online system and am very happy with it. Not everyone shares my view but i have nothing negative to say at all.

3. Likes NinkyNonk, FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I print mine every month so that if OFSTED did come and my system went down they could still look at it and see I was doing obs.

5. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Tapestry for a year and would never go back to paper journals. I didn't copy all the observations I just made the first observation called "statements achieved before Tapestry" (something like that), went through my paper tracker and ticked everything on tapestry that I had ticked off on trackers - it makes it easier when you want to use the Tapestry suggested next steps and next observations as it knows what age of development the child is working at.

7. Likes NinkyNonk, joannetalbot liked this post
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. That's a good idea about printing off every now and then.

I've got a free 2 week trial of Tapestry so I'm going to have a play around tonight. It does look really user friendly.

9. Likes joannetalbot liked this post
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I have been using Tapestry for a year and would never go back to paper journals. I didn't copy all the observations I just made the first observation called "statements achieved before Tapestry" (something like that), went through my paper tracker and ticked everything on tapestry that I had ticked off on trackers - it makes it easier when you want to use the Tapestry suggested next steps and next observations as it knows what age of development the child is working at.
    Can I just ask whereabouts on Tapestry you did this? Is there a tracker type section or is it within an observation? I do use trackers so it would be handy to do.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NinkyNonk View Post
    Can I just ask whereabouts on Tapestry you did this? Is there a tracker type section or is it within an observation? I do use trackers so it would be handy to do.
    You can't unfortunately see a whole view of all the statements you have "ticked" as Tapestry are adamant that it shouldn't be used as a "tick" list - you tick them within the observations - so on my first observation I opened all 7 areas of learning and all the sub sections and "ticked" the ones that had been achieved. It probably will make sense when you start your free trial - just pm me if you want to ask anymore questions or the Tapestry forum and tutorials are very useful.

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with HH I would never go back to paper journals now, they are so time consuming and expensive with the paper and ink costs.

tapestry makes it soooo easy to add observations and photos to children's learning journals; i normally sit at the end of every week and upload all of mine and it normally takes me about 20 mins! and that's it, job done! obs are linked into areas, next steps are in place and generally within a few hours or days parents have commented on them too so the cycle is complete!

tapestry is very handy for parents to use as most have smart phones nowadays so logging onto tapestry and posting a few comments against their child's obs is just like sending text messages so there really is no excuse for them to get involved.

hth

xxx

Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks everyone. Next steps is something I was going to ask about...can't see anything relating to it. Is there a section for these?

Tapestry certainly appears user friendly. Thanks for all of the advice. :-)

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks everyone. Next steps is something I was going to ask about...can't see anything relating to it. Is there a section for these?

Tapestry certainly appears user friendly. Thanks for all of the advice. :-)
    Tapestry will generate suggested next steps based on observations that you have made. they will suggest things you may like to try to move the child on.

As far as you writing your own next steps, Tapestry doesn't do this as yet.

What I'm doing is writing "next steps" on the bottom of my observations and then copy/pasting that onto a next steps word document for that child. I also use the next steps generated by tapestry too.

parents can also view these generated next steps through tapestry so that shows again how you are keeping them involved in their child's learning and development.

i'm still finding my feet tbh, HH has far more experience than me but i think once you start to use it you'll start to naturally ask questions and thats how you'll work out whether its the online package for you

15. Likes hectors house, NinkyNonk liked this post
    jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used Tapestry for 6 months now and can believe how much time it is saving me. Apart from that I also feel that each child is more thoroughly assessed via the observations that I put in and I don't need to spend ages working out next steps & where each child is as this is done automatically once obs are recorded. I just wish there was some extras on there like being able to record attendance, but I was looking for an inexpensive system that was simple to use and it certainly is. I have five parents and three engage with it, the two others have never even logged on despite reminders. Still I'll be sending a pdf on a disc with the learning journal on it when they leave in July so maybe they'll look then....

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just sung the praises of another online system on a LJ thread.

I love it, do all my paperwork with it: register and info, contracts Daily diary and photos, obs, progress, next steps, review, summaries, medical, accidents, policies and permissions, book keeping, communication and newsletters. I can see when parents access info, parents write their own obs and post own photos , fire drills and menus... Lots of info and ideas around planning too but I don't use this section.

Not allowed to say on here or even in a private message who it is though - Admin star it out, I think because it would be promoting something you pay for it and this company doesn't reciprocate with childcare. Co. UK but not completely sure.

Costs £9.99 per month - worth every penny - always up to date, no massive files of paperwork etc..

18. Likes NinkyNonk, joannetalbot liked this post
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant, thank you everyone. It certainly sounds like an online system is the way to go for me. I shall take all comments on board, thank you. :-)

20. Likes FloraDora, joannetalbot liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brilliant, thank you everyone. It certainly sounds like an online system is the way to go for me. I shall take all comments on board, thank you. :-)
    My ofsted inspector was happy to look at the online info..I even gave her a quick training on it, she said the same as you..that online, like the school's SIMS system is the way the world is going and she was attending training around this.

In this technological world paper unfortunately will eventually become dinosaur like - just as it has done in schools.

22. Likes joannetalbot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post

I love it, do all my paperwork with it: register and info, contracts Daily diary and photos, obs, progress, next steps, review, summaries, medical, accidents, policies and permissions, book keeping, communication and newsletters. I can see when parents access info, parents write their own obs and post own photos , fire drills and menus... Lots of info and ideas around planning too but I don't use this section.

Not allowed to say on here or even in a private message who it is though - Admin star it out, I think because it would be promoting something you pay for it and this company doesn't reciprocate with childcare. Co. UK but not completely sure.

Costs £9.99 per month - worth every penny - always up to date, no massive files of paperwork etc..
    Sounds great! wish I knew which one it is?!!!!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post

Sounds like the one i use. Its fab.

25. Likes FloraDora liked this post