Painting playroom , insperation needed !
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  48
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Painting playroom , insperation needed !

Right I have decided to paint the playroom this bank holiday weekend ( exciting I know :-/ ) at the moment it's a lime green colour , I'm toying with the idea of something neutral and calming . If you are lucky enough to have a playroom what colours have you gone for ? Neutral and calming or bright and bold ? :-)

Registered Childminder since
    AUG 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I went with cream and an alphabet wall!
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Likes Dragonfly, funemnx liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Neutral and calming every time for me (if I had a playroom, that is!). The toys and resources make it look busy anyway and so you don't need sensory overload with busy, 'loud' walls and curtains. I'm quite sensitive when it comes to décor and find bold, bright colours just too much. You can always accessorize with different colour schemes if you get bored. x

5. Likes FloraDora, funemnx liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Maza, my whole house is boring magnolia throughout. It means I can change cushions and everything else freely without having wall colour to take into consideration.

That suits me as it is my mission to have 1 of every colour of kallax box available in my playroom

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I agree with Maza, my whole house is boring magnolia throughout. It means I can change cushions and everything else freely without having wall colour to take into consideration.

That suits me as it is my mission to have 1 of every colour of kallax box available in my playroom
    I've got two brothers who are painters and decorators, so the mere mention of "magnolia" brings me out in hives, as they once painted every wall in my parents' house with this colour, and I remember it making me feel physically sick, as it was also a little house where everyone smoked! (Shudder)

I discovered "Buttermilk" many years ago. It is an alternative to "magnolia". Rather than being on the peach spectrum, it is on the yellow spectrum. It is a colour that, as well as being calming, also makes me feel really happy.

Here it is with my alphabet monkeys. (A wacky resource, but the children love it - especially when we sing "five little monkeys jumping on the bed", or when they're learning the initial letter of their names. Each letter is attached with velcro so comes off easily.)

L
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 02-04-2015 at 11:09 AM.

9. Likes Maza, lynncjt, Dragonfly, funemnx liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    I've got two brothers who are painters and decorators, so the mere mention of "magnolia" brings me out in hives, as they once painted every wall in my parents' house with this colour, and I remember it making me feel physically sick, as it was also a little house where everyone smoked! (Shudder)

I discovered "Buttermilk" many years ago. It is an alternative to "magnolia". Rather than being on the peach spectrum, it is on the yellow spectrum. It is a colour that, as well as being calming, also makes me feel really happy.

Here it is with my alphabet monkeys. (A wacky resource, but the children love it - especially when we sing "five little monkeys jumping on the bed", or when they're learning the initial letter of their names. Each letter is attached with velcro so comes off easily.)

L
    I agree magnolia is a colour you either love or hate lol. Bit like marmite ( and as told by a boos previously me too ). oops should read boss but its funny so i will leave it there

Im in a rented house so its one im kinda stick with but luckily im in the love group
    Last edited by shortstuff; 02-04-2015 at 11:13 AM.

11. Likes lollipop kid, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just repainted mine from bright colours to a very pale grey and white. I like it!

13. Likes Maza, Dragonfly, funemnx liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My playroom walls are white, as is most of the furniture. It's only a small room, so white makes it seem bigger.

I would go for neutral colours every time. I often see photos posted on FB where playrooms are so busy with such bright colours that I think "nooo...that would be so distracting!" But each to their own...my plain white and pale colours probably seem very boring to some people.

15. Likes Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is a pale green - not that you can see much of it as has 2 doors and window and wall to ceiling storage. I just bought it because it was reduced to clear at Homebase!

I have seen recently on the facebook page where people have put down really bright jigsaw design vinyl flooring and most people have thought it was fantastic but I prefer neutral and it was too busy for me.

17. Likes lollipop kid, Mouse, Maza liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is magnolia, but I'm in RAF housing so everywhere is haha!

I have seen a gorgeous willow green which is calming yet still neutral. But my playroom boxes are red, black and cream so would need a change there too haha!

Nice to hear everyone so far likes it neutral and calming, I get a head ache looking at some play room pictures on fb haha
    Which ever you go for let us see pictures of end result :-)

19. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Elizabeth Jarman has some interesting ideas around neutral being best for the learning environment. She has a Facebook and web page.

21. Likes lollipop kid, hectors house liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Elizabeth Jarman has some interesting ideas around neutral being best for the learning environment. She has a Facebook and web page.
    Steiner and Reggio too.

23. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our playroom/computer room.other living room is now recently repainted to grey and black and I LOVE it.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine is buttermilk :-) with an oak laminate floor, white smooth cupboards and small table. White storage unit with clear plastic boxes.
    I do have a darkish blue rug and a light blue blind. I have light blue notice boards but they usually have things on them.

I used to have the same colours in my old playroom but with lino road map flooring! I loved it, but wouldn't have it again!

26. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a colour called rice cake. It is the exact shade of baby puke so by the end of the day I am colour coordinated with my walls

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My playroom is a conservatory and only really has one big wall.Before childminding I painted it white, then stenciled a wisteria plant all over it. Although it has shelves covering some of it now, we use it to add pictures of insects, leaves etc to match seasons so it has a purpose.

29. Likes lollipop kid, Maza, funemnx liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Have been quoting her today in my coursework task "communication friendly spaces"

31. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your input . I decided to go with Ivory , I'm liking already .. Only another day of painting to look forward to :-/

33. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *daisychain* View Post
    Thank you all for your input . I decided to go with Ivory , I'm liking already .. Only another day of painting to look forward to :-/
    Did the forum bully you into going neutral? I bet you would be too scared to tell us if you've really decided on 70s style floral orange and purples... x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha maza , you got me ! I've gone all out ... Even got me some lava lamps and beaded curtains for the doors :-)

36. Likes FloraDora, Maza, funemnx, Dragonfly liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast