Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    My friends 4yo granddaughter suffered a greenstick fracture of her leg bouncing on her cousin's trampoline - it had a net, there was only one child on it - It was the actual force of bouncing that caused the greenstick fracture, she is an average size 4yo, not heavy, not tall, not short, not skinny, it was purely that her skeletal development was not ready for a trampoline, doctors said is relatively common with children under 6 using trampolines.
    Something important to remember!

Post Thanks / Like

I never knew trampolines could be so dangerous! Just glad I've never had one!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

After deciding to get rid of the trampoline , Ive kept the frame ...it will soon be our new sound exploring area , the springs are great for hanging our makeshift instruments....
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Likes bunyip, FloraDora, Ripeberry, lisbet liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    After deciding to get rid of the trampoline , Ive kept the frame ...it will soon be our new sound exploring area , the springs are great for hanging our makeshift instruments....
    I know a CM who bought a 2nd hand trampoline net without the trampoline. She uses it around her bee hive. It forces the bees to climb into the air above head height before they fly off to seek the flowers, so the bees are dispersed around the area and don't all appear en masse in her/neighbour's gardens.

I wish I was that clever.

7. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I know a CM who bought a 2nd hand trampoline net without the trampoline. She uses it around her bee hive. It forces the bees to climb into the air above head height before they fly off to seek the flowers, so the bees are dispersed around the area and don't all appear en masse in her/neighbour's gardens. I wish I was that clever.
    I saw a lovely bee hive this morning in costco. £300.
    I also saw on the kids last week a clip about bees making funny coloured honey. It was in New York. One bee hive was making a red/purple honey - they think the bees were using the waste liquid from a cherry coke factory
    Green honey - run off from a sweet factory
    Blue honey - they thought that was make from antifreeze!

The moral was - don't eat funny coloured honey

9. Likes Ripeberry, bunyip liked this post
    dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting, I have a lo who is 3 and goes on my trampoline, supervised and only him, I have a parental permission form signed.
    I had my ofsted inspection last week and she said its fine, the parents have signed the form so there's not a problem, my trampoline is 10ft.
    You have to risk assess and I do and I deem it's safe for lo to go on my trampoline supervised, yes he could break his arm but he could do that tripping over a stone. X

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikki thomson View Post
    Very interesting, I have a lo who is 3 and goes on my trampoline, supervised and only him, I have a parental permission form signed.
    I had my ofsted inspection last week and she said its fine, the parents have signed the form so there's not a problem, my trampoline is 10ft.
    You have to risk assess and I do and I deem it's safe for lo to go on my trampoline supervised, yes he could break his arm but he could do that tripping over a stone. X
    except that if he tripped over a stone you would be covered from any 'falllout' by your insurer. If he was using large equipment against the manufacturers guidelines you would not. We are not limited companies , we could theoretically lose our homes if pursued for large sums in court. Im not willing to risk my families wellbeing for the sake of a trampoline!!

12. Likes FloraDora, tulip0803, Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Insurance matters notwithstanding, I'd say the stone has greater play value than the trampoline ..............every time.

14. Likes mama2three, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikki thomson View Post
    Unfortunately the inspector who said it was fine would be nowhere to be found if the child had an accident and you were sued by parents. It doesn't really matter what Ofsted say. It's your insurance company's approval you need

16. Likes tulip0803, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My son came back from his friend's house once and told me they'd been playing on the trampoline. They'd been climbing onto the shed roof and jumping off onto the trampoline!!

His friend's mum was a childminder as well! I don't think she'd heard of risk assessment, or basic safety!

Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I've now decided to stop my mindees using our trampoline....I'm not getting rid of it as my own older children use it so much. I only registered last year, on pre reg the inspector didn't even mention it. I have a policy and consent but the mindees I have are under 6, so obviously I won't be covered by insurance if anything happened.

To be honest I think it's a real shame as they love it so much, but I feel too 'open' knowing that I'm not covered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12