diarrhoea ? TEETHING
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default diarrhoea ? TEETHING

I LOOK AFTER A 11 MTH OLD BABY BOY. HE HAD DIARRHOEA YESTERDAY HIS MUM STILL SENDS SIZE 2 NAPPIES DESPITE ME ASKING FOR BIGGER. THIS MAKE IT SO MUCH WORSE. SPREADS EVERYWHERE. AS A PRECAUTION I REFUSED HIM TO ATTEND SETTING TODAY. HIS MUM HAS SAID THAT TODAY IT IS BACK TO NORMAL. HE HAD TWO MORE EPISODES AT HOME . BUT OW OK. SHE SAYS HE GETS THIS OFTEN IF TEETHING REALLY BAD....DID I DO THE RIGHT THING AND WHAT SHOULD I DO IN FUTURE EPISODES ? I DIDN'T THINK TEETHING COULD CAUSE SO MUCH DIARRHOEA IT WAS REALLY BAD AND FOUL SMELLING. INTERESTED TO HEAR WHAT U CALL THINK . THIS TIME I FOLLOWED MY POLICY AS PER STANDARDS.

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have kept him away for two days - no return until 48 hours after the last bout of sickness or diarrhoea. Teething does upset some children's tummies, but if you don't think it's that, it's your call. I'd also request properly sized nappies. I put things like that in the daily diary if verbal requests or hints are ignored. For some reason I find I have more success with written requests.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teething....

I'm so fed up with every ailment being described by parents as 'teething' (when there is clearly no drooling or chewing action going on), that I did some research on this. Here's what I found. Basically, to say that teething causes fevers and diarrhoea is a MYTH. The NHS site below may prove a useful reference to show parents.

All the best,

L

TEETHING:

"There is little evidence that fever (temperature) and mild diarrhoea are caused by teething. Teething should not cause your child to become unwell. If your baby or child has a high temperature (fever), diarrhoea or other symptoms and is unwell then you should see your doctor to check for another cause of their symptoms. (For example, an ear infection, chest infection or urinary infection.)"

Baby Teething. Age, Symptoms and Signs of Teething | Patient.co.uk

Teething symptoms - NHS advice

"Some teeth grow with no pain or discomfort at all. At other times you may notice that the gum is sore and red where the tooth is coming through, or that one cheek is flushed. Your baby may dribble, gnaw and chew a lot, or just be fretful. Read our tips on how to help your teething baby.

Some people attribute a wide range of symptoms to teething, such as diarrhoea and fever. However, there is no research to prove that these other symptoms are linked.

You know your baby best. If their behaviour seems unusual, or their symptoms are severe or causing you concern, then seek medical advice. You can call NHS 111 or contact your GP.

Read more about spotting the signs of serious illness."

Teething symptoms - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 11-02-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting because I have mainly found that teething babies have had looser poos and thought it was to do with them swallowing all the excess dribble? They always get really sore bums too. But excessive diarrhoea is nothing to do with teeth and I would exclude for 48 hrs!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe babies get diahorrea when teething and believe its a myth.They get dribble and sore gums and are generally a bit miserable.

6. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I don't believe babies get diahorrea when teething and believe its a myth.They get dribble and sore gums and are generally a bit miserable.
    Agree! They may get looser poos but there is a difference. Diahorrea has a smell too it that can't shift (blurgh) but it may be an intolerance stool which are very loose

I state Diahorrea is still a 48 hour exclusion regardless of reasons (unless medically confirmed condition) and sick is sick!!

It's hard to be tough but you need to protect yourself and others in the setting xx

8. Likes lollipop kid, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I don't think teething itself causes diahorrea, but as LOs put everything in mouth they can pick up random bugs plus excess dribble/snot etc can cause looser poo! But not actual diahorrea!
    My ds had a low pain threshold and used to get a temp with any pain!
    Plus I am a firm believer that you are more susceptible to bugs when under the weather for any reason, so a teething child may have bug too.

10. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a child who had diahrrea a couple of weeks ago. When I informed mum she said it was probably teething. I told her teething might cause the consistency to change a little but not the frequency - this child was going every hour. She was excluded. I get sick of parents blaming everything on teething

xx

12. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    I had a child who had diahrrea a couple of weeks ago. When I informed mum she said it was probably teething. I told her teething might cause the consistency to change a little but not the frequency - this child was going every hour. She was excluded. I get sick of parents blaming everything on teething

xx
    Me too. I also find it strange that, despite Parents putting everything down to 'teething', they still don't say in advance - "Oh, X is teething, so here's some teething gel, teething powder, etc.", oh "...and watch out for X's temperature, which is usually something off the chart due to Teething" - yeah - right!

L

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that teething can cause looser poo's. I think its due to the excess saliva produced and swallowed.
    But it doesn't cause Diahorrea which comes out like water.

Is it runnier or is it literally Diahorrea? If its watery and you've changed a lot then I would send home
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

Huge bug bear of mine too, my daughter is currently teething quite badly ( no proper sleep since Thursday last week 😢 ) so that equals looser stools but not liquid but with the added fact of her having a cough and cold she was sick this morning brought on by coughing. She's got the rosy cheeks and dribble and fingers in her mouth bless her she's going through the mill with these back teeth. Yet over the last 3 weeks I've been battling with some parents over this issue 1 lo I changed 4 times within an hour pure watery stools however mum argued the toss but I recommended taking lo to the Drs as it was clear to me he had some sort of intolerance and lo and behold the Dr agreed mum was grateful for my persistence and lo was much more settled and no more pooping upto his neck. Another parent tries to send lo when poorly but I always call and ask for them to collect. Stick to your guns x

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a big difference between loose teething poo (which I always thinks smells really acidic and distinctive) occurring on more or less their regular schedule and spreading out in a nappy as the baby wriggles around, and genuine diarrhoea which just flows everywhere and often happens much more often. (TMI prob, sorry! )

17. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiorjiina View Post
    There's a big difference between loose teething poo (which I always thinks smells really acidic and distinctive) occurring on more or less their regular schedule and spreading out in a nappy as the baby wriggles around, and genuine diarrhoea which just flows everywhere and often happens much more often. (TMI prob, sorry! )
    I agree. We are not stupid, we've changed enough nappies in our time to know what's right and what isn't so why do parents insist on thinking that we are stupid!!!!

xx

Post Thanks / Like

Default thx

thanks for brill response oh it was diarrhoea all right like water and nappys made it worse. their was no other symptoms apart from dribbling and baby was in fab form. I charge full pay for any sick days she paid me but her other wee boy was with me longer hours as his nursery was closed. she didnt pay me extra...hubbbie says its a business i need to hard up a bit

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Interesting wish id known his last week, think I'll add this to my illness policy's

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i had a lo last week who is 2y8m and I think she has all her teeth, but mum thinks she still needs to get another set of back teeth. She came last week and near the end of the day went on the potty saying a wee, but turned out to be something else runny! Mum turned up and I said what happened and she had apparently been like it at home and during the night had had to have her bed changed! Apparently teething as had the red cheeks etc! er ok....

next day, all ok apparently, and no more runny poos and was ok next day apart from being off food a bit. Friday night she was sick (only with me mon-weds) one of, so able to come back on Monday to me.......she wasn't really herself and didn't eat as much as normal. And then next day was off with diarrhoea again! and has been quite poorly last few days (at home with parents!) still brother coming as he's fine.. but mum now has it.....so looks like what could be teething - wasn't!

thankfully none of the others have had anything (yet!)

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTinker View Post
    i had a lo last week who is 2y8m and I think she has all her teeth, but mum thinks she still needs to get another set of back teeth. She came last week and near the end of the day went on the potty saying a wee, but turned out to be something else runny! Mum turned up and I said what happened and she had apparently been like it at home and during the night had had to have her bed changed! Apparently teething as had the red cheeks etc! er ok.... next day, all ok apparently, and no more runny poos and was ok next day apart from being off food a bit. Friday night she was sick (only with me mon-weds) one of, so able to come back on Monday to me.......she wasn't really herself and didn't eat as much as normal. And then next day was off with diarrhoea again! and has been quite poorly last few days (at home with parents!) still brother coming as he's fine.. but mum now has it.....so looks like what could be teething - wasn't! thankfully none of the others have had anything (yet!)

Grrr how frustrating

I love it when parents say- I've got a cold/illness/upset off baby... So I say imagine how the baby felt and can't understand! Then said parent take a day off with it, yet argued at me refusing baby.... Haha I do love my job really

23. Likes lollipop kid liked this post