What can I do about the 15 minutes?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What can I do about the 15 minutes?!

I look after a child from 1pm to 6pm and have had an enquiry for a child to come from 8am to 1.15pm - is there anything I can do about the extra 15 minutes?! It would be so good to be able to fill the rest of the day! My daughter takes up the 3rd spot!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Can the 1pm child come at 1.30pm instead?. Or the new child to go at 12.45 instead? Seems silly but the 15 mins would be a problem as it's new business.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

It's insane ... even if I could get the new child to collect at 1pm, what if one was early or one was late, there would have to be a gap wouldn't there?!

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

... and the existing child is likely changing their hours in September anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

How annoying! Although you only mention 3 children altogether, is there another?

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

What would happen if (and I'm just throwing out there lol) the 1.15pm child was meant to go home at 12 and other child was due at 1pm but the weather was so bad and the 12pm mummy was stuck know in snow and broke down and was really late to collect and arrive at 1.30pm... my point is if you ask 1.15 mum to collect a little early she could be late no matter what time it is iyswim... so I can't see why you can't have her collect at 1 and other child arrive at 1
    Tess1981

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had something similar to this - I asked the father of the arriving child to arrive at 3.15 and said he would need to stay until the collecting parent had arrived (anytime between 3.15 - 3.30) luckily his job was flexible enough to allow him to do this. In my case it was only one day a week on a 6 week short term contract but think that after a while I may have adjusted it to have an overlap and put it down as continuity of care, if it was causing the parent to be late for work.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would work around it tbh. I would do a 8am-1pm contract and a 1pm-6pm contract. Ask parents to pick up at contracted times but if they are late a few minutes/early then a couple of mins wouldn't matter surely. If the parent really wants the space then maybe they can come 15mins later?

Can you only have 2 under 5's?

Personally, I wouldn't be turning down a mindee and potential wage with bills to pay for a matter of a few minutes. But then I suppose that's not good advice as we have to stick to the 'rules'.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    I look after a child from 1pm to 6pm and have had an enquiry for a child to come from 8am to 1.15pm - is there anything I can do about the extra 15 minutes?! It would be so good to be able to fill the rest of the day! My daughter takes up the 3rd spot!
    Ah...that is a question about overlap for cms...Truss intended to deal with it but somehow forgot and then got moved to somewhere I now forget!!

if I were in your shoes I would ring Ofsted...then give the DfE a call too...I would ask the parents to make the call too as they often moan we are 'not flexible' enough.

This is about 'flexibility' but the inflexibility to adapt to small requests...a very interesting thread running in this forum elsewhere.

10. Likes hectors house, loocyloo liked this post
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes sorry, there is another child - so my daughter and one other all day, an existing child in the afternoon and a potential child in the morning. I will call Ofsted for advice, thank you! I do have an Assistant I could bring in for an hour over lunch if I must.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes sorry, there is another child - so my daughter and one other all day, an existing child in the afternoon and a potential child in the morning. I will call Ofsted for advice, thank you! I do have an Assistant I could bring in for an hour over lunch if I must.
    Good luck with getting any kind of answer out of Ofsted. I had a situation and I wanted to know if it can be classed as continuity of care. All they ever did was quote the EYFS at me. Great lot of help that was, I CAN read, I just interpret it differently depending on quite HOW I am reading it. They wont give you a straight yes or no answer IMO.

xxx

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I daren't phone them now while the children are sleeping because I'm waiting for the recovery truck to arrive for my car which is broken down on the drive way - Monday is hitting me hard!

How would it be if mum signed up from 7.30 until 1 but was consistently arriving a little late to collect - could I then suggest she revises the hours of her contract and not worry about the 15 minute overlap because it's continuity of care. To me the message is so blurry, as to whether we are capable of looking after 3 or 4 children, that it should depend on how well you already know the child!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

According to the EYFS and information received from DfE, there are no circumstances whereby you should increase ratios for new business, even 15 minutes. Of course with anything you decide to do, you would need to explain your actions to an inspector.

There is a PDF further down the thread on this link (post 17) with follow up questions to DfE which states clearly that we should not increase ratios for new business.

IMPORTANT INFO FROM OFSTED AND DfE

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Rick, I'll read it.

Simona Guest

I daren't phone them now while the children are sleeping because I'm waiting for the recovery truck to arrive for my car which is broken down on the drive way - Monday is hitting me hard!

How would it be if mum signed up from 7.30 until 1 but was consistently arriving a little late to collect - could I then suggest she revises the hours of her contract and not worry about the 15 minute overlap because it's continuity of care. To me the message is so blurry, as to whether we are capable of looking after 3 or 4 children, that it should depend on how well you already know the child!
    If you call Ofsted or DfE explain clearly this a is an 'overlap' by 15 minutes....you are not asking for an increase in numbers....I think it is worth a try?
    I agree it is very blurred and after 3 years neither depts have made an effort to clarify and make everyone's life easier.
    They keep talking about flexibility...this is a prime example.

I will flag it up again at OBC.

Good luck

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I have gone back to the family asking if they have any flexibility to collect the child earlier on the days with the overlap. After that I will ask my existing child whether they have any flexibility to drop off a little later and then will ask my Assistant if she would consider coming in over the lunch periods on those days.

The other child I have all day is about to switch his days so I will have a space for all day (apart from the 15 minutes!) - and I have a potential family coming tomorrow! So I guess this is only an issue at the moment if the family tomorrow want the days.

Blimey, it's so complicated!

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Simona, I'll add it to the list of potential solutions!

Simona Guest

Thank you Simona, I'll add it to the list of potential solutions!
    I have just tweeted a question on overlap to Sam Gyimah...let's hope he replies...wishful thinking I know
    Failing that I will tweet Ofsted...we desperately need to get a reply on this ...sick of blurred lines
    If anyone quotes the EYFS to me I will scream!

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to Ofsted and they said, unsurprisingly, it is my decision! He said I would need to evaluate and risk assess to demonstrate to carers and inspectors that I'm meeting the needs of the children and the EYFS. He also suggested that I speak with my Family Information Service and/or Local Authority advisor for their opinion. Thoughts?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted don't give a monkeys....and their helpdesk seem to be run by them

Personally I feel that if you are able to show that for the 15mins you can care for 4 children (how hard can it be) then you should be allowed that overlap. Someone can have 4 under 5's all day so I'm sure we should be allowed to do this for 15mins.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

22. Likes hectors house liked this post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast