Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Screaming thrashing temper tantrums

Terrible twos in full effect! Goodness never seen anything like it
    Last 2 days been tough with said little 2 yo
    Triggers are when there is something he wants and can't have it or something he us being asked to do but he doesn't want to.
    Today screaming shouting throwing himself on floor as there was painting and 2 other children were doing it first. I can only accommodate 2 at a time so he and twin sister have to wait. His sister also had tantrum but she settled after I spoke to her. He kept going for about 3 mins
    Then when time to get down from painting as was clean up time - another one
    Then when nappy change time
    Actually frightened the other children as he is so loud and screaming!
    At the moment I am just ignoring him, being firm and trying to make sure he doesn't hurt anyone or himself. Trying to be reassuring calm him down.
    Yesterday very similar. A few tantrums for same reasons

Anyone got any experience of this. Wow seems extreme never known this before, other children I have cared for have had some tantrums but after I ignored they stopped.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

i am in the middle of one at the moment (not me! but I might join in lol) 2 year old was asked to pick up his cup from the middle of the floor where he put it, ignored me so went to get him and asked him again. Took him to his cup and he turned round and picked up a car. Told him to pick up the cup and put it on the worktop - finally he did but then had a screaming fit. Started the 1 year old off so both crying, one with temper the other with very loud crying. This lasted for 15 mins! totally ignored them both and they now have stopped but temper tantrums don't get rewarded with cuddles. The doorbell is going to go in a minute and it will start again. Grrr!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a LO under 2 who gets incredibly cross even head banging and lashing out, my strategy has been to work with parents to offer a consistent approach which includes ignoring, a stern look and sometimes if they lash out at me pretending to cry as if they have hurt me so that they understand it is potentially hurtful. It has worked and they are much calmer I would also say it is worse when they are really tired.

The only other advice I would give is try distraction someone suggested making a buzzing noise to me, stopping and saying did you hear that - it does work but not all the time.

Good luck

S x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes a sudden "LOOK! A squirrel!!" (while dramatically pointing) works a treat and the reason for the tantrum is soon forgotten!

5. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I find with my own son and one 2 year old any kind of attention/reasoning/calming down just infuriates them even more!! So I just walk away and completely blank them, play with the other kids and give them a chance to get over it and calm down on their own, keep an eye on them to check ok but don't let them see me, then after 5 minutes the crying has usually changed/calmed and I tell them what we're playing with and if they want to come too, as if the tantrum never happened, often they're calm enough to get over it and come and join in by then!

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the responses

The tantrums seem to be following something he wants and can't have, sharing etc. don't think it's attention

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a fourteen month old who does it. This morning total melt down because the dustbin lorry drove away. Bless. I keep telling myself it's only a stage, it's only a stage.....

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, I had a lo throwing a belter in a shop, every now and then I'd ask if they had finished shed but otherwise I was browsing and talking to the staff. One of the staff commented on how well I dealt with my child's tantrums. My response was 'I look after this one, if it had been my daughter throwing one it would have lasted over 2 hours and she probably would have peed all over me' the poor woman behind the counter looked stunned!

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

this is not my normal way of dealing with tantrums (which usually is ignore ignore ignore) but one of my mindees was throwing a tantrum and it was so funny the way he was being that I couldn't help but laugh and i got down on the floor with him and started tickling him and laughing and almost instantly he went into laughter with me and it was all forgotten, tend to do that most of the time with him, don't know why, but it seems to be agreeable for both of us lol x

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh screeching tantrums! Happy days!!
    Trying a firm no, ignoring, not giving in (ie if he wants a toy someone else has got) until he calms down and being consistent.
    Bless I feel so sorry for him and just want to cuddle him but I fear this will make it worse