Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ad hoc care

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ad hoc care

Hi all, do I absolutely have to have a contract for an ex-mindee who is now coming once in a blue moon? I've never bothered before when mindees' siblings have come once in a blue moon. I'm having the child in question for half a day next weds, and I'll be taking his sister to school too, will I need a separate contract for her too? She'll be coming even less frequently than him. Thanks x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Contracts are not an EYFS requirement so Ofsted are not interested.

Contracts are a way to agree how/when/how much we will be paid and what happens if you can't open, if child is sick on that odd day she was due to come, how much notice you need for an ad-hoc day's care etc etc.

If you have a way to agree that other than a contract then that is fine. You might just both sign a letter or print of an email. Payment in advance would be wise.

You also need all the other info which would often be on a contract like contact details, parental responsibility, emergency contacts, GP details etc. But that could be on a form other than a contract.

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks, I might just do a letter of some kind then. It sounds bad, but it kind of seems like a waste of one of my pacey contracts, just for ad hoc!

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm not sure what to ask for with regards to notice- I guess I don't want it booked too far in advance, in case I get a request for a permanent child, and then I'd have a day I can't fulfil their needs, due to the ad hoc child being booked in?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redtiger21 View Post
    Although I'm not sure what to ask for with regards to notice- I guess I don't want it booked too far in advance, in case I get a request for a permanent child, and then I'd have a day I can't fulfil their needs, due to the ad hoc child being booked in?
    That's the challenge of ad-hoc!

I have done it in the past for a limited time and we did it week by week and only possible if I agreed to it (if I had space and if it fitted my plans for the day).

Think carefully about cancellation fee too- if they say they will come next Tues and you plan for that, then they say on Monday evening 'sorry changed our minds'- what will you do?

There is no perfect way of doing it- it is just up to you and how flexible you want to be for this family.

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.... Well I trust this person completely, and I feel like, because I take money in advance, I'm unlikely to ever need to take them to court for any fees. My only issue would be the scenario you described below- but I guess it would only happen once, then I'd learn my lesson and refuse care the next time. Maybe if I insist on money (non-refundable) a certain number of days beforehand. So much to think about, just for half a day's work, but I don't want to say no as they literally have no other option that day!

Post Thanks / Like

I would do an ad hoc contract - it doesn't have to be your pacey one - I just write my own up.
    I am probably wrong but this way could you get away with it being continuity of care?

Simona Guest

If you do not want to do a contract do make sure the agreement ...in whichever form ...has been signed and agreed by 'all parties' for PLI .

AD hoc contracts can vary...it will depend who they are for and the age of the child
    For the over 8 a CM is likely to have a space at all times as those children are not included in our ratio....this does not apply for 0-8

Some ad hoc attendance is pre booked and therefore contracted which means CMs have to block that place ...don't lose out and check all the details.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, do I absolutely have to have a contract for an ex-mindee who is now coming once in a blue moon? I've never bothered before when mindees' siblings have come once in a blue moon. I'm having the child in question for half a day next weds, and I'll be taking his sister to school too, will I need a separate contract for her too? She'll be coming even less frequently than him. Thanks x
    Quick and easy answer..................

.............only if you really want to get paid.

Simona Guest

I meant to ask what does your insurer say you need? do they recommend a contract ?

Bunyip says you need it only if you 'want to get paid' but I thought we needed a contract as we are registered rather than the new army of unregistered providers who will now call themselves CMs.

Would be interesting to know what the different insurers come up with...personally I would not look after any child without a contract whether it is for one hour, one day or one year if the care is in my setting

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an ad-hoc contract and I also make sure I have the relevant forms filled out, and they are filled away in my 'Ad-Hoc' folder. Here is a copy of my agreement, feel free to copy and amend as you see fit
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    I have an ad-hoc contract and I also make sure I have the relevant forms filled out, and they are filled away in my 'Ad-Hoc' folder. Here is a copy of my agreement, feel free to copy and amend as you see fit
    I actually only just saw that you had attached something here Emma- my sincere apologies for not thanking you a long time ago, unfortunately I don't get notifications when someone replies to anything on this forum, so I thought I'd read all of the replies!

Thank you!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually only just saw that you had attached something here Emma- my sincere apologies for not thanking you a long time ago, unfortunately I don't get notifications when someone replies to anything on this forum, so I thought I'd read all of the replies!

Thank you!
    LOL! That's okay. You're more than welcome x