ratio problem
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: ratio problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default ratio problem

Hi all - just trying to combat a problem I will have in sept (i have previously posted about this but have since been toying with a few ideas). My local school i do pickups/drops offs for offer full day pre school (ie 2.5 days instead of 5 half days) so many of my parents (as they are part time) have opted for this which means the children i look after will be classed as an under 5 but i will only caring for them 2.5 hrs a day! (Unfortunately being fairly new to this i didn't know a lot of childminders charge while the child is in pre school and don't feel i cant go back on this but this will mean a significant drop in earnings and just 1 lo to care for in the day . The 2 options i have considered are:
    a) looking into supported daycare where I would take on a lo through the council but only for the times between the school run and term time only. The only downside to this is this only runs for 12 weeks at a time I've been told so i know this is not a reliable income.
    b) hiring someone to care for my 2 children (in my house) for a few hrs after school.

Does anyone know how viable these options are or have any other suggestions ? thanks
    Last edited by 2lovelygirls; 13-11-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Option 3 - tell parents you're sorry but the hours don't work for you.

Just because you've been asked to do wrap around care it doesn't mean you have to.

Personally, I would try to find a children to fit in with the nursery hours (so term time only, between school hours), but if I couldn't get anything I would give parents the option of either paying for a full day, or seeking alternative care as I would want to take on a child who needed daytime care.