Registered Childminder since
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Been given notice for hard to feed baby

I had a feeling it was coming. But they had all weekend to send it. Did it at 1am this morning. Telling me that they were 'alarmed' that I had no time to feed their baby first thing in the morning (she comes in at the start of the school runs, I have two to do) and because of this they are terminating the contract. They don't ask for a refund (still have four days left this month), but they are making 'no further payments'.
    So what am I supposed to make of that last bit?

'We now feel that the original contract is void due to the fact we do not think that you have the time to fulfill your duty of care for X, your services will no longer be required and we will be making no further payment as we are exercising our right to cancel the contract'

How would you respond?

I'm sad about it, but at the same time a bit relieved.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just digest the notice for now - don't do anything until you feel calm, unoffended and ready to respond with a clear mind.

But when the time is right I would probably just accept the notice graciously, wish them all the best and move on. I have read your previous post and it will be like pushing water up hill trying to help any further. It's bound to make you feel cr ap , your not alone and try and talk it through with someone to help make sense of the situation i'm sure you will have lots of support on here too, many of us have been in similar situations I am sure. I'm waiting for notice from a rather over indulged 2yr old that comes with cake for breakfast to pacify her because mum can't say NO! and I do so lo is having trouble dealing with that and in turn it is upsetting mum. It's not always the children we care for that have issues/problems it's generally their big people and they have even more trouble addressing the issues.

Try and think positive 1am notice maybe mum is having a sleepless/stressful time and your getting the flack, as is usually the case. Take care.

3. Likes Ripeberry, bunyip liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

My notice period is 4 weeks, but as there are two weeks left (term-time only), can I use that as notice period? I can't refund them directly as it's paid via computershare vouchers.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just keep the 2 weeks (4 days they have already paid for), not ask them for the remaining 2 weeks and start advertising now for some reasonable, sensible parents - and make sure you interview them better this time!

Lets hope they don't contact Ofsted - like Koala says I think I would not make a fuss about the notice period, but I think I would challenge in a letter their comments "We now feel that the original contract is void due to the fact we do not think that you have the time to fulfill your duty of care for X" and explain that you do have other children to get to school and that the timings just don't work out right. I have children starting at 8 am every morning, they all arrive washed, dressed and fed, your parents are expecting you to do things in the morning that they clearly have failed in their responsibility as parents to achieve.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree, take some time to digest what's been said before you respond, and respond you must to challenge their comments.
    They must have been aware that you have school runs then outings prior to signing, so as HH pointed out, they are also failing in their parental duties if they do not have time to feed their child prior to dropping off - although I wouldn't necessarily use that wording as it could then go into a tit for tat situation which invariably means you'll come off worse due to parents inability to accept any wrongdoing on their part, ever!

I would accept the 2 weeks, and move on, but, please think about taking a 4 week deposit to prevent any losses for the future

7. Likes Koala, hectors house liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Wait until you are calm and clear minded before responding and keep your response professional.
    If it was me, I would ask for the 4 weeks notice/payment (I'm stubborn) but for you, it's probably best just to accept the two weeks.
    However I would not just wish them luck in future, I would challenge their comments and put in a clear explanation as they have accused you of not fulfilling your duty of care which is unacceptable IMO.
    Good luck! x

9. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    My notice period is 4 weeks, but as there are two weeks left (term-time only), can I use that as notice period? I can't refund them directly as it's paid via computershare vouchers.
    If you hold a 4 weeks deposit then you should be able to sort it all out and take that as your notice

With regards to the C/vouchers...do contact the company
    No need to give confidential details but ask whether they expect the money back as this is a Govt and Inland Revenue tax saving scheme and any outstanding sum goes back to them ...who will put in it in the parents account....no money should go back to the parents directly.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is within the settling in period I would just refund the remaining money to the voucher company - however- I would wait until the end of the month following termination and make parents aware of this and make and state this as your standard procedure. Don't be too hasty about doing anything though - leave it until next week until you reply as parents may well not be thinking straight at the moment, tempers and battle lines will be drawn, it's amazing how a few nights sleeping on an issue can make things clearer all round.
    If it isn't within the settling in period I would take legal advice from your insurance company address this as a failure to pay and let them deal with it, you have the evidence of refusal to pay.
    Just keep everything matter of FACT

Simona Guest

We differ in approach but in the end it is up to you
    I agree that you may want to wait until you respond and act according to the terms of your contract
    I personally would acknowledge their notice immediately and reassure them you will confirm the rest in writing

Good luck...not aware of what was going on before but any termination can be taken the same and parents are saying you 'are not able to fulfil your duty of care'...keep a record of anything said and done ...just in case!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Only last Tuesday she was telling me how great I was with X and that the grannies were not doing things right. She basically marched into my home on the Thursday saying that she had been through the diary and noticed that I had not been giving food until after 10am. The baby would come to me with the mum telling me that she just had a full bottle of milk (will only take this from mum).
    The more I think about this, the more angry I'm getting about the way she has treated me. I bent over backwards for her the last few months and she is too cowardly to even face me. The husband wrote the notice letter (he is on the contract) and last Thursday she sent him to collect.
    I want to write a letter along the line of 'I won't be spoken to like that in my own home' and 'you had the diary each day, why did you not query it before?' I still think it was the grannies ganging up on me.

Good luck to whoever has taken this family on. I just feel sorry for X

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, I'd acknowledge the notice asap, but give yourself some thinking time before making a full response. You need the reply to be a thought-out response. not an emotional reaction.

Payment for notice. This will depend on what's in the contract; whether you are in a settling period; and, ultimately, what you feel is going to make you most content. Some people will insist on payment in lieu of notice, however much time, admin, fighting and grief it takes to get that satisfaction. Others prefer to let it go for the sake of a quiet life. Only you can decide. I can only say how I feel, but it's a very personal thing, so I'd never advise a CM to take one particular route.

I recently accepted notice from a family. To cut a long story short, I had 2 choices:-
    1. Waive the notice period/payment, so the parents would have enough money (and the new nursery be in time to claim funding) so the lo could go asap with a 'clean break'.
    or: 2. Insist on the full notice period, in which case the child would not be able to start nursery before Christmas, thus leaving me with the dilemma of either leaving them with no childcare after a month, or keeping the child and the 'atmosphere', unhappily until New Year.

I chose to waive the notice and let them go, at the cost of just under £1k in fees and refunded funding. I wouldn't blame any CM who made the opposite decision, but for me, it was worth it to 'have the clouds lifted'.
    Last edited by bunyip; 14-10-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bunyip, lots of good advise from others as well, but I was holding out to see what you would say. The baby only came two days a week anyway (18 hrs) so I think I can allow them to have the refund in lieu of notice. Been onto the voucher company this morning, still can't get through to them as they are so busy. I just want to write a line under all of this. Not taking another first time parent on again that's for sure!

16. Likes hectors house liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bunyip, lots of good advise from others as well, but I was holding out to see what you would say. The baby only came two days a week anyway (18 hrs) so I think I can allow them to have the refund in lieu of notice. Been onto the voucher company this morning, still can't get through to them as they are so busy. I just want to write a line under all of this. Not taking another first time parent on again that's for sure!
    Not sure about the first time parent part - but be wary of those who take notice of "Granny"!

18. Likes Ripeberry, Kiddleywinks, Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If mum WAS happy, and now notice has been given via Dad/Grannies input, I would maybe think Mum's being 'browbeaten' - it could be that Dad has 'taken control' not that she's too cowardly to face you by sending Dad.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not a criticism; it's a word from someone who has c0ck3d things up himself.

When I started looking after children, I was staggered by how long everything takes. A simple task such as eating breakfast and getting out the door to school takes forever with the tiddlypeeps.

By the time I started CMing I was semi-prepared, and insisted all children (schoolies and toddlers at the time) had either broken their fast at home before arrival or were here by 0800 latest if I was to provide breakfast. We then have a good 40 minutes to complete the ritual of hair-brushing (don't mums do that any longer?), toilet & teeth, coats & shoes, finding schoolbags, finding the other shoe for that child who's standing on the drive like a pillock in just the one, someone wanting the toilet again (usually whilst the others decide it's all taking so long they might as well take their coats back off ) and a walk that, for no accountable reason, takes twice as long to do with a fresh, fit child than it takes an unfit old lard-4rse like me to do on my asthmatic own.

I've subsequently discovered that it takes even longer to get ready if you throw (not literally) a baby into the mix. It's not just that I'm completely tied down whilst spoon-feeding: it's the whole business of removing their weetabix plasterwork from every conceivable surface and, naturally they have to fill a dirty nappy at the most inopportune moment (mum's paying me to do the nasty stuff so I'm not surprised she's trained baby to hold onto #2s until the little darling gets to Bunyip Towers.)

I now find myself insisting babies are pre-breakfasted or arrive here by 0745 if we're going to stand a chance of reaching school on time.

So you can imagine my delight when one of my new clients dropped off her baby at 0815, instead of the appointed 0730 last week with a pathetic apologetic smile and, "oh we didn't have time to give her breakfast, if you wouldn't mind seeing to it."

21. Likes Ripeberry, hectors house liked this post
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip I agree! Op if it were me I have to say I am stubborn and would pursue what is owed. Did these parents know what time you left the house on a morning and wouldn't be able to give breakfast after a certain time? Thats the bit I'm unsure on tbh. I always say to potential parents that their child must be here before 8 (and preferably 7.45 for babies!) if they need breakfast. I can kind of see their point if they were unaware of this. If they did know however and are just being awkward now then you have to do what will be easier for you in the long run and that's a personal choice.

23. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

She always arrived just as we were heading out of the door! So impossible to feed. I've had the baby since she was 3 months old and it was only for a couple of hours a week at first, so that mum could go to the gym. I used to have her on my day off, so of course could fully indulge her. But since September she started full time hours (9hrs) and this involved other children in my care. Never mind, it's her loss, but one of my other mindees loved having the baby, she's going to be very upset

Simona Guest

She always arrived just as we were heading out of the door! So impossible to feed. I've had the baby since she was 3 months old and it was only for a couple of hours a week at first, so that mum could go to the gym. I used to have her on my day off, so of course could fully indulge her. But since September she started full time hours (9hrs) and this involved other children in my care. Never mind, it's her loss, but one of my other mindees loved having the baby, she's going to be very upset
    I hope you feel a lot better when this is over ...lesson learnt and start again!

As 'notice in lieu' has been mentioned a few times I feel it may be worth ringing the legal team of any PLI and ask for advice on this
    I had to in the past and was surprised at what they suggested and the changes made to the 'termination of contract' made it very clear to parents how and when it would apply on 'either side'

We must remember that our PLI will have an element of this in our premium ...as non payment is a recurrent dispute and not just for cms....we should not let parents get away with it for the sake of our sustainability.

Simona Guest

Ripeberry...so sorry to come back on this but something has been bothering me...I did ask but got no reply
    I assume this family had not paid you a deposit?

I have heard that cms are often recommended not to take a deposit as parents cannot afford it?...
    My view is that cms also cannot afford to lose the amount of money they often report they do when non payment or sudden notice is given

In my view that is not the right advice to give ....deposits are a very good prevention against parents leaving without following the appropriate procedures for termination of contract and CMs waiving the notice or applying the 'in lieu of notice' rule

We as cms are unique and definitely do things 'differently' but we are in danger of doing things in 46,000 ways....a bit like the 152 LAs who do things according to their own gospel...and look at the confusion that has caused over the years

What I am trying to say is that....at times...we must not variate and apply the exceptional circumstances rule when it is a matter of sustainability and in the instance of 'termination of notice' we should be very clear and not so generous to those who ignore our contracts?

Hope I did not muddle things by saying this but I think we need to reflect on this

Bunyip....for the last many many years I have made it very clear in my contract 'I do not offer breakfast' and follow it up with clear explanations to parents....one of them being the time children 'need' to take over a meal and not constantly being hurried up because 'we are going to be late for school'.

I see you apply the same rule
    I also think parents can find the time in the morning to feed their own children...the vast majority do....it cannot take more than 15 mins and what an opportunity to sit down together and share a meal?
    Silly idea I suppose ....and that is why schools offer free breakfast because some parents do not have the time?...or because there is a convenient alternative?

Just my views of course

27. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Ripeberry...so sorry to come back on this but something has been bothering me...I did ask but got no reply I assume this family had not paid you a deposit? I have heard that cms are often recommended not to take a deposit as parents cannot afford it?... My view is that cms also cannot afford to lose the amount of money they often report they do when non payment or sudden notice is given In my view that is not the right advice to give ....deposits are a very good prevention against parents leaving without following the appropriate procedures for termination of contract and CMs waiving the notice or applying the 'in lieu of notice' rule We as cms are unique and definitely do things 'differently' but we are in danger of doing things in 46,000 ways....a bit like the 152 LAs who do things according to their own gospel...and look at the confusion that has caused over the years What I am trying to say is that....at times...we must not variate and apply the exceptional circumstances rule when it is a matter of sustainability and in the instance of 'termination of notice' we should be very clear and not so generous to those who ignore our contracts? Hope I did not muddle things by saying this but I think we need to reflect on this Bunyip....for the last many many years I have made it very clear in my contract 'I do not offer breakfast' and follow it up with clear explanations to parents....one of them being the time children 'need' to take over a meal and not constantly being hurried up because 'we are going to be late for school'. I see you apply the same rule I also think parents can find the time in the morning to feed their own children...the vast majority do....it cannot take more than 15 mins and what an opportunity to sit down together and share a meal? Silly idea I suppose ....and that is why schools offer free breakfast because some parents do not have the time?...or because there is a convenient alternative? Just my views of course
    I hAve
    This problem also.. Mum contracted
    From 830, but now works nearer so it is often 9/905 before they arrive and always,. He is only out of bed.. He apparently bounces around Til late at night and so likes to sleep late! He only has an hour nap here (2.5 years) and mum says makes no difference whether he naps or not as to whether he goes to bed at a proper time but I think she lets him stay awake too late and then he gets overtired and can't settle! We are here now at 922 and he is still munching his toast. Generally it's ok as we aren't usually rushing (most days have someone arriving at 915) but still., it grates me she doesn't bother!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast