Holiday in Fuerteventura
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Not CM related but i wonder if any of you have ever had a family holiday in the above destination? (Think it's in Gran Caneria) My husband and i are thinking of taking a weeks holiday there next May in half term,with our 7 year old and young teenage son. Just wanted to know if it is a good place to go and things to do, best places to stay etc. we would be looking for a hotel/apartment rather than a villa. Somewhere that is reasonably priced. I like all inclusive places to give me a break from cooking! Although self catering isn't too bad i guess.Thanks
    Last edited by Snowwhite; 13-10-2014 at 01:40 PM.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuertenventura is a separate island to Gran Canaria but is one of the Canary Islands - we had a fantastic holiday there about 4 or 5 years ago - we stayed at the Barcelo hotel in Costa Caleta - don't normally bother with evening entertainment but the entertainment team when we were there were fantastic - extracts of different west end show each night, we saw Grease, Starlight Express, Les mis, lion king - think there were kids clubs and kids discos too but our kids were older teenagers, the day time activities were good for older children too - my husband and kids did archery and rifle shooting, mini golf, I did aqua aerobics and other fitness classes.

Food was very good - we got stuck there during Ash Cloud fiasco and some people from a more expensive hotel up the road got moved to our hotel and they said our choice and quality of food was much better than theirs had been and they only had a chap playing piano in the evening.

We went on a trip to wildlife park and there was a free transfer bus and we went on another free trip round the island you just had to go to a 30 min presentation to see PAL beds - got free bucks fizz and it wasn't a hard sell.

We went with friends, our friends daughter went back last year with her boyfriend and said it was still just as good.

First Choice Holidays - Hotel Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa in Costa Caleta

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info hectors house. x

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered the South of Tenerife at all? I've been twice and love it so much, There's lots to do! There are lovely beaches, a monkey park where you can feed lots of different types of monkeys and they climb on your shoulders!! Siam is the water park which is also really good! Suitable for little ones and teens/adults! There's a small zoo with animal shows! There's also another water park and amazing zoo to the north of the island (free bus available) but it's 2 hrs away. Food is pretty cheap and good quality too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we prefer Tenerife ... Gran Canaria is a bit hilly and Fuerteventura is windy but Tenerife is perfect

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to Fuerteventura, Caleta de Fuste, around 4 years ago. We stayed in a villa recommended by the Co-op Travel Agents, but ended up getting broken into and lots of our things stolen Thomas Cook were fab and moved us to one of their Hotels around the corner, Broncemar Beach Hotel, which was very nice - and after that experience, we've always stayed in Hotel/Apartments and gone All Inclusive.
    Caleta De Fuste was pretty quiet, there was only really one local bar with entertainment called Pierro's.
    I would defo recommend the day trip to the zoo, I think it's called Oasis Park, it's lovely
    The Hotel that Hectors House recommended, Barcelo, they have a chain of hotels across the Canary Islands, and we've stayed in the one in Lanzarote, and I can honestly say it's the nicest hotel we've ever stayed in, so I'm sure the one in Fuerteventura will be just as nice.
    Let us know where you decide xx

7. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed in the Barcelo at Lanzarote too. Very nice but it was only for the day after we had to check out of our villa! This year we stayed in Playa Blanca and that resort was lovely, so many restaurants and all on a promenade that lead to the harbour. Really enjoyed the place and would defo go back. Again we stayed in a villa so can't recommend a hotel but the princess yaiza one looked nice. Fab location and right next to beach and minutes from restaurants if you didn't go AI. Next year we have booked Tenerife. Going back to the Mediterranean palace. We always go to canaries over spring bank as the weather is usually good. We were a bit unlucky this year but never mind! Sure whatever you decide will be fab

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. We went to South Tenerife a few years back and did enjoy it but fancy somewhere else this time. It may be a while until we decide on exact location but will let you know and with all your help it should make it a bit easier to decide! x

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki5531 View Post
    I've been to Fuerteventura, Caleta de Fuste, around 4 years ago. We stayed in a villa recommended by the Co-op Travel Agents, but ended up getting broken into and lots of our things stolen Thomas Cook were fab and moved us to one of their Hotels around the corner, Broncemar Beach Hotel, which was very nice - and after that experience, we've always stayed in Hotel/Apartments and gone All Inclusive. Caleta De Fuste was pretty quiet, there was only really one local bar with entertainment called Pierro's. I would defo recommend the day trip to the zoo, I think it's called Oasis Park, it's lovely The Hotel that Hectors House recommended, Barcelo, they have a chain of hotels across the Canary Islands, and we've stayed in the one in Lanzarote, and I can honestly say it's the nicest hotel we've ever stayed in, so I'm sure the one in Fuerteventura will be just as nice. Let us know where you decide xx
    That's awful that your villa was broken into and things stolen. Glad you got moved and it didn't spoil the rest of your holiday

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki5531 View Post
    I've been to Fuerteventura, Caleta de Fuste, around 4 years ago. We stayed in a villa recommended by the Co-op Travel Agents, but ended up getting broken into and lots of our things stolen Thomas Cook were fab and moved us to one of their Hotels around the corner, Broncemar Beach Hotel, which was very nice - and after that experience, we've always stayed in Hotel/Apartments and gone All Inclusive.
    Caleta De Fuste was pretty quiet, there was only really one local bar with entertainment called Pierro's.
    I would defo recommend the day trip to the zoo, I think it's called Oasis Park, it's lovely
    The Hotel that Hectors House recommended, Barcelo, they have a chain of hotels across the Canary Islands, and we've stayed in the one in Lanzarote, and I can honestly say it's the nicest hotel we've ever stayed in, so I'm sure the one in Fuerteventura will be just as nice.
    Let us know where you decide xx
    Caleta de Fuste is same place as Costa Caleta - think the locals still call it Caleta de Fuste but travel agents and tourists call it Costa Caleta.

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have just come back and had a lovely time. We stayed at the Barceló thalasso spa hotel right on the seafront. We went all inclusive. Hotel was fab and food great etc, would def return BUT not a great deal to do right where we were so you'd have to factor in days out which mounted up. Lovely place though, ive been twice now!

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Fuertenventura is a separate island to Gran Canaria but is one of the Canary Islands - we had a fantastic holiday there about 4 or 5 years ago - we stayed at the Barcelo hotel in Costa Caleta - don't normally bother with evening entertainment but the entertainment team when we were there were fantastic - extracts of different west end show each night, we saw Grease, Starlight Express, Les mis, lion king - think there were kids clubs and kids discos too but our kids were older teenagers, the day time activities were good for older children too - my husband and kids did archery and rifle shooting, mini golf, I did aqua aerobics and other fitness classes.

Food was very good - we got stuck there during Ash Cloud fiasco and some people from a more expensive hotel up the road got moved to our hotel and they said our choice and quality of food was much better than theirs had been and they only had a chap playing piano in the evening.

We went on a trip to wildlife park and there was a free transfer bus and we went on another free trip round the island you just had to go to a 30 min presentation to see PAL beds - got free bucks fizz and it wasn't a hard sell.

We went with friends, our friends daughter went back last year with her boyfriend and said it was still just as good.

First Choice Holidays - Hotel Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa in Costa Caleta
    Ha didn't see this reply! this is where we've just returned from, lovely place!

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm just back from Caletta de Fuste for the 8th time!! Absolutely love Fuerteventura - always stay at Broncemar Beach Aparthotel. I have heard however that Thomas Cook have not made a decision as to whether they will have their entertainment team in there next year I believe this is due to most people booking independently and not through Thomas Cook. If this is the case, I think it'll have a big impact on the hotel. The resort itself is great, always lots to do, but very laid back and quiet at the same time
    If you do decide to go, don't book transfers from the airport, Caletta is only 10 mins and €12 away in a taxi! Xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Baby View Post
    Ha didn't see this reply! this is where we've just returned from, lovely place!
    Are Victor & Billy still in the entertainment team? - my friends and my teenage daughters turned into groupies and even went to watch them rehearse in the afternoons.

Reading this thread is making me think about booking a beach holiday for February instead of ski-ing, not sure that DH will agree though!

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the way that we have transported ourselves onto a lovely topic dreaming about holidays/remembering them and not have to have a moan about Childminding!

17. Likes Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been lovely to think back about that holiday so thank you for jogging my memory. Hope you enjoy wherever you book.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been to Fuerta Ventura for the last two years and are going back again next Summer. We love it. We stay in Corralejo (sp?). It's nice and clean and not full of stag and hen parties. We go in early July. Do check the weather for your time of year as Sarah said it can be windy. It's perfect in July as the breeze stops you from getting exhausted but you still know that you're on holiday and we always come back with a great tan! Lovely sand dunes. As well as the zoo there is a waterpark - we haven't been there yet as DD,5, was a bit too young for all the slides and so we're hoping to go there next time. x

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Am in the process of checking out hotels/apartments going on what everyone has said

21. Likes Maza liked this post