Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default An open letter ...by Sue Cowley

An Open Letter | Freeing the Angel

Those on twitter can follow Sue @Sue_Cowley

2. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Uhuh!!!...this is trending on twitter...a few well known names replying to this open letter...add your signature and comment

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Uhuh!!!...this is trending on twitter...a few well known names replying to this open letter...add your signature and comment
    Thanks for the link. I signed it yesterday

xx

Simona Guest

Sue's open letter is on the front of The Independent today
    Sue is delighted and keeps tweeting 'we are revolting'...I like the catchphrase

keep signing !

Simona Guest

Not only the letter has been in The Independent but all the names of those who have signed appear ...not just a few

It is ...apparently...doing the rounds on Facebook so you will come across it.

Letter: Stop putting so much pressure on our children - Letters - Voices - The Independent

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread, Simona. Thanks for drawing this to our attention.

I do wholeheartedly agree. It's just another part of trying to give children back some chance of a childhood, though even that tends to carry a variable meaning over time, rather than being the simple, absolute term I once thought it did. I'm currently reading Fran Abrams Songs of Innocence, which is also interesting.

But then you know much of my views on education and over-education for both children and those of us who work with them.

Incidentally, you and I need to find a hobby. It's Sunday and we're about the only people posting on here for the past three hours
    ....................and it isn't even raining.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Interesting thread, Simona. Thanks for drawing this to our attention.

I do wholeheartedly agree. It's just another part of trying to give children back some chance of a childhood, though even that tends to carry a variable meaning over time, rather than being the simple, absolute term I once thought it did. I'm currently reading Fran Abrams Songs of Innocence, which is also interesting.

But then you know much of my views on education and over-education for both children and those of us who work with them.

Incidentally, you and I need to find a hobby. It's Sunday and we're about the only people posting on here for the past three hours
    ....................and it isn't even raining.
    My feeling Bunyip is that ...although we are very verbal on this matter ...we argue, disagree, appeal to politicians, regret loss of childhood, say children are stressed.....and so on and so forth...no one is listening

I recall this matter being discussed ages ago...slowly slowly govts have done as they please because simply what we say and think is not enough...it needs action now!

I believe teachers at their last conference have proposed 'principled non-compliance' when it comes to testing 4 year olds....how many providers would be prepared to say the same about the whole system which is clearly in overload now and a bureaucratic nightmare with politicians and Ofsted constantly moving the goal posts?

I wonder how many other countries have had as many changes in education as we have had? how many would put up with it I wonder too?
    Polish mothers recently marched because their govt has proposed starting school at 6 and not 7 as it is now....can't somehow envisage that happening here to ask govt to stop meddling with education

We also need parents to stand their ground for their children...they should be the ones to refuse to get children in school at 3 or even 4...no point in saying it in the school playground...if they believe it then keep children back until 5 when school is compulsory ...it is allowed and clearly stated in DfE guidance...

so what is their reason apart from the fact that early schooling also means 'free childcare' which all parties push without any reference that it is actually 'subsidised' by a very badly paid EY workforce.

This letter is a very good one and the author genuine in her concerns ...lets hope millions sign it not just a few hundred