Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Do baby rooms in nurseries hinder development? NWorld

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 99
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realise they did that at nurseries. Sounds like a good plan to keep same keyworker until 3yrs old.

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree totally with the article l would have thought it should have been changed years ago how on earth have they got away with it with ofsted when there is no continuity of care or key worker.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think in some Nurseries the key worker does move up with the child but surely it can only work if all children move up at the same time eg: Sept - but then some children could potentially be in the baby room for an extra year?

Simona Guest

I think it is a good idea for this to be reviewed by nurseries
    their system is at times very complicated when it comes to the key person approach
    When it became the buzz word few mentioned that cms had been doing this for years and years

I have worked and still work in group settings and it is undoubtedly not the same as cms simply because of their environment which is basically rooms children move on to according to age and also due to staff deployment and qualifications

It is sad that the article does not mention cms ...we have the real key person approach and the continuity we offer from babyhood to 11 years is not comparable to any other setting when you consider attachments

personally I think babies are best in our care...but that is a biased view!

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this too. I worked in baby rooms for years and it was unsettling for the vast majority of children when they moved rooms. Very rarely were key workers moved up with the children. Usually because staff who wanted to work with babies were hard to find! A lot of parents too were anxious when their lo's moved although there were always some who wanted it asap as they thought it meant the child would be 'cleverer' when they moved up.

7. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

It is sad that the article does not mention cms ...we have the real key person approach and the continuity we offer from babyhood to 11 years is not comparable to any other setting when you consider attachments

It did mention childminders - quote from article

"Family groupings where there are no rooms and a key person is free to move about the space with her/his group of children, much as a childminder would at home."

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    It did mention childminders - quote from article

"Family groupings where there are no rooms and a key person is free to move about the space with her/his group of children, much as a childminder would at home."
    Yes it did in just a few words...I meant it from the point of length of time we are and remain key person in a child's life

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    their system is at times very complicated when it comes to the key person approach
    When it became the buzz word few mentioned that cms had been doing this for years and years

I have worked and still work in group settings and it is undoubtedly not the same as cms simply because of their environment which is basically rooms children move on to according to age and also due to staff deployment and qualifications

Simona you should read the thread on ***** on this topic. Many of the people on their see the segregation of children into age rooms a very positive. They also like the way the children don't forma an attachment to one Key Worker because the changes all the time prepare children for school where they won't have the same Teacher all the time. I was so shocked I couldn't even reply! The only cm who did was shot down in flames.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

flippin flop Rickysmiths it's starred out, what thread is this on I would like to read it also.
    Thanks

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Simona you should read the thread on ***** on this topic. Many of the people on their see the segregation of children into age rooms a very positive. They also like the way the children don't forma an attachment to one Key Worker because the changes all the time prepare children for school where they won't have the same Teacher all the time. I was so shocked I couldn't even reply! The only cm who did was shot down in flames.
    RS...Would you be able to email the link to me?...I do have yours do you still have mine?

Yes I am unfortunately aware of how the rest of the sector view the key person approach or its meaning...sad they have not read about Bowlby or Peter Elfer