new eyfs
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: new eyfs

Post Thanks / Like

Default new eyfs

Hi - I know it sounds like I've been living in a cave or something but what exactly do I need to do / get in regards to the new EYFS?

I am a fairly new childminder (started minding in may) and I knew there was a new eyfs but that's about it. I ve just got chatting to another cm who said how am I finding it with all the changes !

help!!

thanks

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2lovelygirls View Post
    Hi - I know it sounds like I've been living in a cave or something but what exactly do I need to do / get in regards to the new EYFS?

I am a fairly new childminder (started minding in may) and I knew there was a new eyfs but that's about it. I ve just got chatting to another cm who said how am I finding it with all the changes !

help!!

thanks
    The EYFS 2014 is now implemented and we had a period of notice to get the changes imbedded in our practice
    There are a few but nothing too grand

In addition to this OFSTED have also updated several of their documents which will reflect the EYFS and require a few tweaks to be made to your policies especially the SEN, procedures and info sharing with parents as well as some changes to inspection

The Ofsted updates are here
    Ofsted | Search results: Resources

The Foundation Years website is also a good source of info
    Foundation Years | From pregnancy to children aged 5

Your LA should also have informed you of changes

3. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is lots of guidance here in Free Downloads.

Free Downloads

Read through and make sure you are aware of the changes, make any necessary changes to your documentation and inform parents there has been a change. The Childcare Register has been updated and the SEND code of practice has come into effect from 1st Sept

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    The EYFS 2014 is now implemented and we had a period of notice to get the changes imbedded in our practice
    There are a few but nothing too grand

In addition to this OFSTED have also updated several of their documents which will reflect the EYFS and require a few tweaks to be made to your policies especially the SEN, procedures and info sharing with parents as well as some changes to inspection

The Ofsted updates are here
    Ofsted | Search results: Resources

The Foundation Years website is also a good source of info
    Foundation Years | From pregnancy to children aged 5

Your LA should also have informed you of changes
    Simona my LA informed me of the changes in an email on Friday 29/08/14. Good job I have you lovely people on here and I keep up with Ofsted updates by email or I would be stuffed

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There is lots of guidance here in Free Downloads.

Free Downloads

Read through and make sure you are aware of the changes, make any necessary changes to your documentation and inform parents there has been a change. The Childcare Register has been updated and the SEND code of practice has come into effect from 1st Sept
    Just a quickie on the SEND Rick, do we need a policy on it or is it Equal ops and I can change heading?

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to be informed by my la but then they said nothing about the last set of changes so I'm not holding out for them

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    Simona my LA informed me of the changes in an email on Friday 29/08/14. Good job I have you lovely people on here and I keep up with Ofsted updates by email or I would be stuffed
    My LA run a forum for preschools and nurseries when they went through the EYFS changes...this was before the summer...July to be precise...however...no such meeting or opportunity was given to cms

Last week we all received an email telling us of various things but no mention of the recent Ofsted updates...so I have asked them if they will make everyone aware of these...no reply as yet

They did...though...inform us of the changes to SEND ...arranged info meetings and have put on training for that as well
    Once again the frustration is caused by the different ways LAs act which is none too helpful but...somehow...cms are able to go around and relying on peer support in different ways...that is independence I suppose?

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

My LA run a forum for preschools and nurseries when they went through the EYFS changes...this was before the summer...July to be precise...however...no such meeting or opportunity was given to cms

Last week we all received an email telling us of various things but no mention of the recent Ofsted updates...so I have asked them if they will make everyone aware of these...no reply as yet

They did...though...inform us of the changes to SEND ...arranged info meetings and have put on training for that as well
    Once again the frustration is caused by the different ways LAs act which is none too helpful but...somehow...cms are able to go around and relying on peer support in different ways...that is independence I suppose?
    Yes it is independence Simona but they are supposed to support us and get paid to do that, mine seem too busy with nurseries and preschools at the minute.

They get away with it I think because we have You and the other forum members to help us and I think they know this. Imagine the complaints made about them if this forum didn't exist. My Ofsted pre reg lady was peeved that I had no support yet had requested it and only had 2 visits in all that time, when she looked at my sheet what we covered she just sighed and typed something on her laptop.

again for all your support and advice

Post Thanks / Like

fantastic guys! thank you

I have just been so busy with my SEF and getting paperwork up to date lately. I've got 9 children in total (different days) and as I've only just started they've all started around the same time so I'm paperwork crazy at the moment.

I have just left a vm for my support worker and ordered the new documentation

I will read through all these links tonight and will get updating!

thank you again x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2lovelygirls View Post
    fantastic guys! thank you

I have just been so busy with my SEF and getting paperwork up to date lately. I've got 9 children in total (different days) and as I've only just started they've all started around the same time so I'm paperwork crazy at the moment.

I have just left a vm for my support worker and ordered the new documentation

I will read through all these links tonight and will get updating!

thank you again x
    There are booklets of the EYFS available ...PLA sell one...but I would just print it from the DfE website or foundation Years
    I am not sure why but I think it may be tweaked again...so save money and work on that

Mum67
    the LAs have a duty to provide enough childcare ...this is a bit problematic at the moment and they are under scrutiny for lack of 2 year old places and wraparound care....and to support RI/Inadequate providers...some do support others with higher grades but it is different in every LA

Also annoyingly some LAs may turn into agencies

It is also confusing as the govt have reduced their money and role but some still seem very active in what they want from us or in adding conditions
    Not ideal but you have found good support and most important look for anything at local level with other cms where you can tap in your community

12. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    Just a quickie on the SEND Rick, do we need a policy on it or is it Equal ops and I can change heading?
    Some people are finding it easier to do a new policy rather than try and amend other ones. It's up to you really how you do it so long as it's clear

14. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Rick I think I will do a new one as I tend to retain things better if I have read through something and then had to type something up in my own words. IYSWIM

16. Likes Rick liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

There are booklets of the EYFS available ...PLA sell one...but I would just print it from the DfE website or foundation Years
    I am not sure why but I think it may be tweaked again...so save money and work on that

Mum67
    the LAs have a duty to provide enough childcare ...this is a bit problematic at the moment and they are under scrutiny for lack of 2 year old places and wraparound care....and to support RI/Inadequate providers...some do support others with higher grades but it is different in every LA

Also annoyingly some LAs may turn into agencies

It is also confusing as the govt have reduced their money and role but some still seem very active in what they want from us or in adding conditions
    Not ideal but you have found good support and most important look for anything at local level with other cms where you can tap in your community
    Yes thanks Simona I will take your advice on this.