Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can i separate room?

I have a long living room which is basically 2 rooms knocked through with a large archway in the middle. A few of my older children have been complaining lately saying the younger children/babies are "ruining" their games for example when they are building with blocks they are getting knocked over or playing with figure sets, large floor puzzles etc. I have a small table that I have suggested using but some of the younger ones can pull themselves up. I am thinking about getting a long baby gate for the archway so that when the older children want to play with these sets or other sets that include small parts they can close the gate and go into the other side of the room. Do you think Ofsted would be ok with that though as I don't want it seen as I'm dividing the children. I work with an assistant so we could each be on a side of the room. Thanks all

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that will be fine. I already do a similar sort of thing, it is so frustrating for older children when playing/setting up something and the small children keep breaking/knocking it down, makes everyone bad tempered.Go for it.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chezzagriff View Post
    I have a long living room which is basically 2 rooms knocked through with a large archway in the middle. A few of my older children have been complaining lately saying the younger children/babies are "ruining" their games for example when they are building with blocks they are getting knocked over or playing with figure sets, large floor puzzles etc. I have a small table that I have suggested using but some of the younger ones can pull themselves up. I am thinking about getting a long baby gate for the archway so that when the older children want to play with these sets or other sets that include small parts they can close the gate and go into the other side of the room. Do you think Ofsted would be ok with that though as I don't want it seen as I'm dividing the children. I work with an assistant so we could each be on a side of the room. Thanks all
    Don't think of it as what Ofsted wants but what you think is best for your children.

Doing what you are proposing means you are giving children the chance to follow their interests without them being frustrated or interrupted ...you can separate the children for certain activities at certain times while allowing all ages to be together for other opportunities.

It sounds like you are giving them the chance to initiate their play and get involved and you both leading ...what can Ofsted find wrong with that?

4. Likes QualityCare liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If I have mixed ages here I let the older children play in another room, so that the younger ones don't ruin their games. They have plenty of time when they play together, so I don't see anything wrong with allowing them their own space for some of the time.

6. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have put a gate on my kitchen so older children can enjoy games without the younger ones wrecking everything. Why should the older children miss out? It's not fair on them
    Tess1981

8. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    may 84
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I separate my sittingroom when I have older children so they can set up rail track etc. It's also safer when there are little bits involved.

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, I will be going to Argos tonight then! As you have all said it is safer with the little bits and also giving the older children a chance to explore their interests as well and we do have a lot of together time also so everyone's a winner. Thanks again wish I had of done this sooner!!!

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chezzagriff View Post
    Thanks all, I will be going to Argos tonight then! As you have all said it is safer with the little bits and also giving the older children a chance to explore their interests as well and we do have a lot of together time also so everyone's a winner. Thanks again wish I had of done this sooner!!!
    You won't regret getting one, my room is divided by a babydan gate it means the older children have more choice over age appropriate resources instead of all toddler toys so can play with fashion dolls & accessories or Marble run, k'nex ect while still being able to keep the babies safe from choking hazards

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My older children either play with small toys like lego or magnetix up to the dining room table (they have all the small bits on big trays so they don't roll on the floor) or they play with them in the afternoon when younger children are having a nap.

I would think it's fine to separate the room, Nurseries often have dividers between the different age groups - maybe they get away with it because they call the different areas names "silver room" for younger children "gold room for older ones"!

Just make sure that by separating the room all children can access drinking water at all times and toilets and hand washing facilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    My older children either play with small toys like lego or magnetix up to the dining room table (they have all the small bits on big trays so they don't roll on the floor) or they play with them in the afternoon when younger children are having a nap. I would think it's fine to separate the room, Nurseries often have dividers between the different age groups - maybe they get away with it because they call the different areas names "silver room" for younger children "gold room for older ones"! Just make sure that by separating the room all children can access drinking water at all times and toilets and hand washing facilities.
    What kind of trays do you use hector? Just normal tea ones? I don't let my girls play with that stuff when the little ones are up, poor kids I went through them for a short cut a couple of weeks ago when we couldn't locate a googly eye and I thought the baby might have eaten it! Maybe if they had trays they could

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and we found eye stuck to a piece of paper up safe on the side board lol!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    What kind of trays do you use hector? Just normal tea ones? I don't let my girls play with that stuff when the little ones are up, poor kids I went through them for a short cut a couple of weeks ago when we couldn't locate a googly eye and I thought the baby might have eaten it! Maybe if they had trays they could
    Just plastic tea trays I got several years ago in the outdoor section at Asda - that go with the plastic beakers, picnic crockery etc - bought it all for a big BBQ for daughters 18th birthday - now just got it all for role play, mud kitchen etc!