How do you mention other visits to parents?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you mention other visits to parents?

Sorry can't quite phrase the title right! I think I posted about this in the past but I have searched and can't see it. I have a lady coming to see me about a space on Tuesday and have also had contact via email from another lady who also
    Wants to come. Both have looked for spaces a couple of times in the past when I didn't have one but I haven't met them

Thinking I should see them both obviously makes sense , second lady I can drop into email reply that I have someone else coming but first one the visit is arranged and I won't talk to her now Til she comes.. So when and how do you tell parents you have other interested parties? I never quite know the moment or how to phrase it ! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm always upfront, most parents ask anyway. I would say that you do have other interest and that your not applying pressure on them to sign. Try to set up your other meeting soon after the first this will allow you to decide which client you want to offer the space to. I've just been through this myself both families were lovely one family wanted 3 days a week all year and the other family wanted 5 days a week term time only. I chose the second family as their child fitted in well with the other children and we just clicked. The first family were comparing their daughter to mine their lo was 10mths and my lg is 7months and my daughter could do more than the other little girl and this was noted several times by the parents which made me feel uncomfortable although they were a lovely family. Just be honest and work out what suits you and your setting best x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I always ask parents if they have other cms to visit, so that would be a good point that mention that you also have other parents to see.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    Sorry can't quite phrase the title right! I think I posted about this in the past but I have searched and can't see it. I have a lady coming to see me about a space on Tuesday and have also had contact via email from another lady who also
    Wants to come. Both have looked for spaces a couple of times in the past when I didn't have one but I haven't met them

Thinking I should see them both obviously makes sense , second lady I can drop into email reply that I have someone else coming but first one the visit is arranged and I won't talk to her now Til she comes.. So when and how do you tell parents you have other interested parties? I never quite know the moment or how to phrase it ! Thanks!
    Make sure parents understand that you will be interviewing other families who have enquired about a space...just by simply saying you are allowing all the chance to come and visit your setting
    Like Mouse says it is also good to ask if they will be visiting other CMs...I even encourage them to visit nurseries

It is totally up to you but I would not close the door to all possibilities and I would see all interested parties...just in case the ones you are seeing first do not suit your needs?

good luck

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I also ask, when they have had a look around and a chat, when they would expect to be in a position to confirm whether they want a place, and if so, when they would be looking to start. Sometimes people do say they have already decided, and then I have to decide whether to take a deposit and cancel the other people. If they haven't got a deposit readily available, I would mention that the place is not booked until secured by a deposit and that I do have other interest or get quite a lot of enquiries, and I would probably see the second people too. I also try to see people more urgently if I think they are a good fit - but I can get that badly wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all that's great.. I have made apt with second lady to also come this pm.. I said to her i have another lady coming at 615 and would she like to come at 715, so she knows! Just have to drop it into conversation with the First Lady when she comes (lol that's put it in capitals like the presidents wife!)

What do u do if by some small miracle they both want you? Do u avoid calls and hope they leave a message so you have time to hear from other one lol?! Can't fit them both in

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Say you'll let them know tomorrow by xx time - gives you time to sleep on it before rushing to decide

Post Thanks / Like

Does it not then seem like I have wasted their time?

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not really, at the time you booked the first visit you weren't to know you were going to have another enquiry so quickly, and there are no guarantees that either party will want to use you so you have to keep advertising regardless.

In the case of having more than one parent to choose from I try and explain that there are multiple factors that help me decide between parents that I like equally
    - hours are the first priority - they have to work with the ones I'm already doing
    - the child's age is another - if I'm geared up for 3yrs and overs, a baby can throw our routines out due to naps and feeding, on the flip side of that, if I'm geared up for under 3's, a 4 yr old isn't necessarily going to 'fit in' as well
    Also, running with age, a 3 year old may only be with me for a year before heading off to school, whereas an 18mth old could be with me for much longer although I don't tell parents that, I wouldn't want them to think it is 'all about the money', as that isn't always the case, but it is a factor sometimes
    - the child's disposition (and yes, the parents too) has to be taken into account. I know my current children very well, and know how they are going to react to someone knew that's quiet, loud, shy, 'bouncy', etc.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    Thanks all that's great.. I have made apt with second lady to also come this pm.. I said to her i have another lady coming at 615 and would she like to come at 715, so she knows! Just have to drop it into conversation with the First Lady when she comes (lol that's put it in capitals like the presidents wife!)

What do u do if by some small miracle they both want you? Do u avoid calls and hope they leave a message so you have time to hear from other one lol?! Can't fit them both in
    This kind of situation happens often with CMs...One space and a few families who can take it...so what to do...who to choose?
    you have to reflect on which family you would like to work with, why, the long term commitment...what is it you like about them?

It is horrible having to say no to one but parents are aware that CMs only have limited spaces and they will understand...so you have not wasted their time...if you know any other CMs you could recommend one and one more thing to do ...for the future...is to have a waiting list and an admission policy to guide you

Good luck and let us know what happens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    This kind of situation happens often with CMs...One space and a few families who can take it...so what to do...who to choose? you have to reflect on which family you would like to work with, why, the long term commitment...what is it you like about them? It is horrible having to say no to one but parents are aware that CMs only have limited spaces and they will understand...so you have not wasted their time...if you know any other CMs you could recommend one and one more thing to do ...for the future...is to have a waiting list and an admission policy to guide you Good luck and let us know what happens
    Thank you Simona that is helpful.. I do have a sort of loose waiting list which is why these two came up but I don't have an admissions policy.. What kind of things would be in this?

Both sets of parents really lovely; dad came with baby one also and he was very nice but they are not sure they can make their commuting work for my times. I sort of felt we had done much of the interviewing on the phone and we had spoken in the past so a bit unsure if they want the space if they will expect to be given it.. Unfortunately of course that's the one thing I forgot to mention that I was seeing someone else. Even when they said they should know by Friday about the hours I never thought of it. I am so used to not pushing them too much that I usually don't say anything to that .. Duh!

Second lady was absolutely lovely, very sensible I think parents a lot like me and little fella was a pet (baby one adorable too!) dad didn't come but it doesn't sound like he will be doing much drop off and pick up as he runs the family stables .. Dd1 is pony mad and of course wants me to go with them lol!! She has a place booked in a nursery but not keen wants more of an active setting for him which I provide and has gone away to talk to hubby.

First Lady wants a start in about a month, second one mid October but I don't mind waiting for that as I have a parent wanting more hours until sept so we will see

So.. If one wants me and I choose them too, do I let other couple know or just wait for them to come back and say sorry it's gone?!

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

All sounds good then! If the 2nd person definitely wants the place then get them signed up and a deposit in place asap. If in the meantime the 1st couple get back to you I would stall them and say you have had further enquiries and are just working out your numbers etc before you can confirm anything.
    Then it may give you something to fall back on.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would let the other couple know as soon as the space was no longer available BUT I wouldn't do anything until I had a months money as a deposit from whoever wanted the place - it's easy for people to say yes they want the place but there is always the chance they might change their mind. I've found it less likely once they've parted with cash.

Good luck hope at least one of them wants the place.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

15. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok so had text off first set of parents this am to say they times wouldn't work for
    Them.. Duh! But sure why didn't they work that out before they wasted everyone's time?! So that's grand I really felt better about the second lady anyways. I have had two other enquiries in since so have just said to them I am
    Waiting to hear back from someone I already saw. I guess that's all I can do

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd see the new enquiries too! I figure once I've had the huge tidy up for one family, I might as well get some use out of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mummits View Post
    I'd see the new enquiries too! I figure once I've had the huge tidy up for one family, I might as well get some use out of it!
    Unfort only nov / dec starts and really need to fill the space first if I can

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't get
    Either of
    Them to sign in the end, first one the hours didn't suit her (might have worked it out before the visit!) and the second one had a family member offer now

Saw the dec lady tonight was lovely and hopefully the nov one tomorrow. Do have two others for quicker starts but one wants to see if she can sort things with her current minder (doesn't drive and can't pick up from playschool so wanted me to do a drop off service eh no! Have offered her chat re moving them to me) and other one not sure if financially viable to go back to work.

Only thing is if I can spin out the nov / dec ones a bit the immediate ones may have made up their mind fingers crossed

20. Likes AliceK liked this post