Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bacterial tonsillitis, exclusion?

Schoolie was not at all well this afternoon, & hasn't been right fir a couple of days.
    He laid on sofa, high temp, sleepy....

Mum collected at usual time despite a text.

She took him to docs & he has bacterial tonsillitis, nhs website says it highly contagious & he should not mix with other for 48-72 hours from antibiotics.

Ive told mum & shes saying the doctor said its viral that's contagious?!

Ive reiterated that i checked nhs & hpa website & they state streptococcus tonsillitis is infectious

Shes not very happy, but I'm not putting my kids at risk as they are all home tomorrow because of the strike, plus hes already been here all week like it.

Am i wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

No everyone knows that they dont give anti biotics for a viral infection anyway so if hes got anti biotics its because its bacterial and wont go away alone. If you have checked and are happy with your conclusion that it is infectious and to exclude then exclude. Like you say you have to think of the other children too. Some parents baffle me, at home with parents is where poorly children should be IMO.

3. Likes Koala, bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a baby here all week with that- and hives! Wish I excluded as I wash everything he touches. He is super grizzly too- making me short!

But mum wasn't bothered and then once I had him one day I felt I couldn't say no the rest! Stay strong x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rickers83 View Post
    Schoolie was not at all well this afternoon, & hasn't been right fir a couple of days.
    He laid on sofa, high temp, sleepy....

Mum collected at usual time despite a text.

She took him to docs & he has bacterial tonsillitis, nhs website says it highly contagious & he should not mix with other for 48-72 hours from antibiotics.

Ive told mum & shes saying the doctor said its viral that's contagious?!

Ive reiterated that i checked nhs & hpa website & they state streptococcus tonsillitis is infectious

Shes not very happy, but I'm not putting my kids at risk as they are all home tomorrow because of the strike, plus hes already been here all week like it.

Am i wrong?
    Your duty is to prevent the spread of infection in your setting and that is what the parent should understand and signed in agreement in your contract
    Other parents may not be happy their child could catch it...tonsillitis requires exclusion and neither nurseries nor preschools would look after the child so you should not do so either

The child is not well, has a temperature and that would upset your routine and most of all it is not fair on him

The parent will have to understand so stand by your policy

6. Likes Rickers83 liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no way a child with that is well enough to attend your setting. My DD had it last week, she was so ill bless her, it is sooo painful and really knocks you for six. she lived on ice cream, ice pops and warm tea for 2 days, it hurt to even swallow her own spit. Poor child needs to be at home. Stand your ground

xxx

8. Likes Koala, Rickers83 liked this post
    Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default update

Mum text last night to say she had made other arrangements for lo, but younger one would still be coming.

They were due to arrive 20 mins ago, & are NEVER late....

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth I think you are right to exclude.

If it was my lo I would probably stay at home and look after lo myself and probably keep both children with me, but I wouldn't like to judge others for not doing so!

Any way it just reminds me that my policy of 48hrs exclusion for antibiotics/penicillin is a good tactic itnot only safeguards against having the upset of dealing with a reaction but also helps to avoid arguments about whether children are infectious, ill or not. Generally after a couple of days on the dreaded stuff kids have perked up anyway.

I hope things sort themselves out with your family.

11. Likes Rickers83 liked this post
    Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Lo arrived just after I posted this morning, theyd had a bad night and overslept

Lo went home half hour ago as he was running a temp of 38.5 & shivering, so looks like hes going down with it too now, hope none of the other get it!

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rickers83 View Post
    Thanks

Lo arrived just after I posted this morning, theyd had a bad night and overslept

Lo went home half hour ago as he was running a temp of 38.5 & shivering, so looks like hes going down with it too now, hope none of the other get it!
    I thought mum said it wasn't contagious famous last words eh! poor little mite.

14. Likes Rickers83 liked this post