start of the 'terrible twos'?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default start of the 'terrible twos'?

I have had an lo since the beginning of June, and until this week, he has been polite and lovely - listening to what I say when we are out and generally being well behaved. This week, he has taken a complete u turn, and has pretty much staryes to ignore everything either I or his parents say to him - even for simple questions like are you hungry, nap time? Etc. He was 2 in April and eondering if this is the start if him getting frustrated that he can't tell us what he wants -speech is on our radar and development plan. Any tips?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Elkie Mawdsley View Post
    I have had an lo since the beginning of June, and until this week, he has been polite and lovely - listening to what I say when we are out and generally being well behaved. This week, he has taken a complete u turn, and has pretty much staryes to ignore everything either I or his parents say to him - even for simple questions like are you hungry, nap time? Etc. He was 2 in April and eondering if this is the start if him getting frustrated that he can't tell us what he wants -speech is on our radar and development plan. Any tips?

A few tips here
    Tantrums, Terrible twos, Toddler tantrums, Parenting advice | Bounty

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the link simona my little girl is 18months but terrible 2s seem to have come early and tantrums are huge!

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Check for a hidden issue such as ear ache, if the change is sudden it may be pain related?
    If speech is an issue, use visual clues where possible that the lo can point to, I.e. If offering a choice between two pieces of fruit hold them up, keep choices simple and decide for the child if they can't / won't but tell them "I'm sorry you are not choosing, so I chose the apple for you today"

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kidston View Post
    Thank you for the link simona my little girl is 18months but terrible 2s seem to have come early and tantrums are huge!
    How right you are...those tantrums can start well before age 2....I am sure we have all come across very determined 18 months' old toddlers...that is when any action should be in place

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brill advice so far

I always feel sorry for children from this age. Their bodies are going through some massive changes, their brains are working overtime, and then some, processing the massive overload of information they're getting, as they learn not just about themselves but about the world around them.
    Their head is saying they can do far more than they are physically able to do. Not only do they not understand why they can't do stuff they think they can, they don't have the maturity to understand explanations......
    Lack of speech only serves to fuel the frustrations.

I'd hate to be this age again

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Choices are not really working as he just looks at me blankly like 'what are you talking about'. Not sure he has been allowed to choose anything before. Will perserve with them tho.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Elkie Mawdsley View Post
    Thanks everyone. Choices are not really working as he just looks at me blankly like 'what are you talking about'. Not sure he has been allowed to choose anything before. Will perserve with them tho.

Try upping the boundaries for the child and when he responds lots of praise while also ignoring the tantrum
    Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Iv recently tried introducing snacks more often/mor substantial as found grumpy child was hungry.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a 2yr old who became very uncommunicative and grumpy ... I fed him almost as soon as he arrived and 'encouraged' a sleep and he definitely improved!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My almost 2 year old son is being similarly terrible, his behaviour is by far the worst out of all my mindees, dreading my ofsted inspection next week as he creates such chaos and can scream sooo loud!
    He's pushing all the boundaries and waiting to see my reaction, I'm being as firm and consistent as I can with 3 under 3s, the other 2 that go and visit him on time out doesnt help!
    Hope it improves when his speech does and he can tell me what he wants/needs