Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scratch scratch scratch....the dreaded headlice

Can anyone recommend Headlice Treatment that actuall works first time and is effective

Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAWI View Post
    Can anyone recommend Headlice Treatment that actuall works first time and is effective Many thanks
    I'm not sure about headlice treatment, but I swear by the Vosene nit repellent kids shampoo.

We have used this on my DD4 throughout nursery and reception and it's great (it doesn't smell nice tho) - I recommend this to all my friends. It's usually about £2 in Asda x

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is a quick fix coz the shampoos only kill the live ones, not the eggs. Hence you have to repeat the treatment a week later to catch any lil whatsits that have hatched since the first treatment. Here speaks the voice of experience after being complacent n not bothering to repeat when we had little visitors last year. I also recommend a good quality comb like the nitty gritty as it picks out eggs too. Bleurgh!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't ever use chemical treatments if my children got them, but would definitely recommend using the conditioner method with a Nitty Gritty comb. They cost about £10, but are well worth it.

The only other thing I used was tea tree oil. I'd mix some with water & put it in a spray bottle. I'd spray their hair at night & wash it out the next morning. It did stink, but seemed to work.

5. Likes AliceK, Rickers83, tulip0803, ziggy liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I didn't ever use chemical treatments if my children got them, but would definitely recommend using the conditioner method with a Nitty Gritty comb. They cost about £10, but are well worth it.

The only other thing I used was tea tree oil. I'd mix some with water & put it in a spray bottle. I'd spray their hair at night & wash it out the next morning. It did stink, but seemed to work.

This is what I do as a preventative measure. I spray it on wet hair after washing and then dry it. I do this almost every time and also use it myself. So far (fingers crossed) my DS (10) and DD (6) have not yet had any. I also sometimes use tea tree shampoo if I can get hold of some.

xxx

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thnaks for all your replies. Think I will use a combination of the treatment and conditioner treatment. Going to buy a Nitty Gritty comb. My DD is 12, so been a long time since she had them( in Nursery). Im convinced it's all the selfies girls take these days!! And have their heads so close together. Thanks.

pre reg
    Non childminder member
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

we use conditioner and nit comb. luckily it was half term so was able to check my daughters hair 3 times a day! x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAWI View Post
    Im convinced it's all the selfies girls take these days!! And have their heads so close together. Thanks.
    I think that could well be true.

When my children were younger (infant/junior school) they'd get them at times when a new craze hit the playground - pogs, pokemon cards etc. It was no wonder when you saw them all crowded together, heads in, looking at the latest thing.

Post Thanks / Like

We had it a couple of years back and the only thing that worked was full marks none of the others did

Post Thanks / Like

We call them lodgers in our house! My granddaughter has beautiful thick hair so the little b****rs would scuttle and hide within the hair we'd already combed! We've always preferred to use conditioner and nit comb drawing it as close as we can to the scalp the treatments you buy like people have said kill the live ones and the eggs hatch. I'd quite happily spend a good hour continually combing x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Arggh the dreaded Head Lice!

I remember as a kid, when you would go to the doc's to pick up a glass bottle of lotion. Then spend the next 12hours with this stuff on your head, stinking the house out and feeling sick. Only for a while later to get the flaming things again! Those were the days.. NOT! lol

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hedrin Once. Leave on for maximum time. Wash out, then nitty gritty to be sure.

The bar stewards went round and round in KS1. When DD had her last bout in June last year we just left them until the summer holidays (We were treating every few weeks at that point
    Treated as above the afternoon she finished Year 2 and not had since.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anyone else got an itchy head reading this? Lol