Anyone in/around Manchester/Tameside?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone in/around Manchester/Tameside?

Just curious as to whether there's anyone from 'my neck 'o th'woods'?

Im in Tameside

xx

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Manchester (near Heaton Park) x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki5531 View Post
    I'm in Manchester (near Heaton Park) x
    Small world really! Lol!

xx

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was born and bred in Tameside! Lived in London since 97 though. Will be up there soon to visit the family over Summer. x

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Born in. St. Mary's Manchester

Brought up in gee cross hyde until 7

Moved to just outside of Chester when I was 7

Now live in Crewe

Aunt and uncle still live in hyde

Wibble xx

wobbling my way through life....
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 14
    Non childminder member
    Oct 2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JKL View Post
    Just curious as to whether there's anyone from 'my neck 'o th'woods'?

Im in Tameside

xx
    I'm in Bury not far from Heaton Park too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WibbleWobble View Post
    Born in. St. Mary's Manchester Brought up in gee cross hyde until 7 Moved to just outside of Chester when I was 7 Now live in Crewe Aunt and uncle still live in hyde Wibble xx wobbling my way through life....
    I'm in Hyde now but lived recently in Droylsden.

Born and bred Mossley girl though!

xxx

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

3 years ago this thread would have mean't nothing to me ...but my youngest has settled in Manchester after attending Uni there..and has lived in various places in the area.
    He currently works in Oldham and lives in Castlefield...but is looking at a more long term area to settle - northern quartercalls as he is a musician ( 2 time performance at Glastonbury) so we are looking at all areas - Hyde sounds lovely - but would it be attractive to a 23 year old??

I love the North west now ...biased opinion from tons of weekends away experience to visit... So am interested in who lives where..you never know we might end up one day living there!!
    Last edited by FloraDora; 02-07-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    3 years ago this thread would have mean't nothing to me ...but my youngest has settled in Manchester after attending Uni there..and has lived in various places in the area. He currently works in Oldham and lives in Castlefield...but is looking at a more long term area to settle - northern quartercalls as he is a musician ( 2 time performance at Glastonbury) so we are looking at all areas - Hyde sounds lovely - but would it be attractive to a 23 year old?? I love the North west now ...biased opinion from tons of weekends away experience to visit... So am interested in who lives where..you never know we might end up one day living there!!
    I actually really like Hyde which given its reputation years ago surprised me. and before anyone accuses me of being a snob, Hyde had a horrendous reputation when I was growing up but mainly because of Hattersley Estate and Harold Shipman! Lol!

I love Tameside though, I'm a Tameside girl through and through. I moved to Staffordshire for 4 years with my hubby but got pulled back and I'm soo very very glad!

If he's only 23, loves his nightlife and wants easy access to Manchester's music scene he may be better with somewhere like Droylsden. The area on the whole is quite nice but, like everywhere, there are a few less desirable areas. Droylsden is on the new metrolink route and gives easy access both in and out of Manchester for nights out. He may just find travelling to Oldham may be trickier.

If you want any info on areas etc just shout and I'll see if I can help!

xx

12. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you JKL -I have to admit that I am coming late to social media, but ..this is why it is so good!
    Contact with people in the local know is so important...I have just forwarded your thread to my 23 year old ...bearing in mind I love him unconditionally .....but your retired parents sometimes get lip service....to their thoughts.. He has looked at Droylsdon... And will investigate ...now you have recomended..

Be in touch!

Thankyou!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Thank you JKL -I have to admit that I am coming late to social media, but ..this is why it is so good! Contact with people in the local know is so important...I have just forwarded your thread to my 23 year old ...bearing in mind I love him unconditionally .....but your retired parents sometimes get lip service....to their thoughts.. He has looked at Droylsdon... And will investigate ...now you have recomended.. Be in touch! Thankyou! ...
    No problem at all. Like I said if you need any further help etc just shout. Bar the 4 years in Staffordshire I've been here my entire life in one area or another.

xxx

15. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A few of my family friends had Dr Shipman as their GP

My favourite part of Manchester is Didsbury. I lived there as a student. It's beautiful.

I grew up in Stalybridge. x

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Flixton which is in Trafford, Manchester. I'm 5 minutes by car from the Trafford Centre. Have lived here all my life but my mum and dad moved here from.Gorton when all the old terraces were being knocked down.( My mum went to school with Myra Hindley and my dad worked with her!!) My Auntie & Uncle relocated at the same time to Hattersley which was built especially at that time for the overspill. Years since I've been But I remember it being a mass of council houses. Every road looked the same. But the scenery was amazing. My aunties house was right up in the hills!!! Don't know what it's like now as it must be 30 years since I'be been. My Auncle then moved to Gee Cross and I had a great Aunt who lived in Glossop. That was a beautiful place.

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Stockport Cheshire two mins away - I agree to didsbury being a safe and fab nightlife xxx

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm Macclesfield Cheshire but grew up in didsbury and then moved to cheadle hulme.

My friend has just moved to flixton. 5 minutes from the Trafford centre is just too tempting for me! Haha

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Born and bred in Middleton, moved to Didsbury in my mid-late 20s for a few years now settled in Bramhall. I love it here x
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrstom View Post
    Born and bred in Middleton, moved to Didsbury in my mid-late 20s for a few years now settled in Bramhall. I love it here x
    Middleton is just down the road from me (I'm in Blackley) xx

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JKL View Post
    I actually really like Hyde which given its reputation years ago surprised me. and before anyone accuses me of being a snob, Hyde had a horrendous reputation when I was growing up but mainly because of Hattersley Estate and Harold Shipman! Lol! I love Tameside though, I'm a Tameside girl through and through. I moved to Staffordshire for 4 years with my hubby but got pulled back and I'm soo very very glad! If he's only 23, loves his nightlife and wants easy access to Manchester's music scene he may be better with somewhere like Droylsden. The area on the whole is quite nice but, like everywhere, there are a few less desirable areas. Droylsden is on the new metrolink route and gives easy access both in and out of Manchester for nights out. He may just find travelling to Oldham may be trickier. If you want any info on areas etc just shout and I'll see if I can help! xx
    According to my gran dr shipman had a lovely bedside manner! Ha ha ha ha

She was living Chartist house ( the high rise at the back of the market) at the time of Mrs Grundys death ( the one whose death set off all the investigation) I went to see gran and she told me the lady mayoress had died suddenly - she was doing teas only the day before. I had no idea who gran was talking about. Then years later it all came out. Gran had passed away by then ( not by the hand of Harold) but she would've loved all the intrigue.

Yes it's also famous for being the place where the moors murders came from. My mum remembers them being taken to hyde town hall. My uncle was a policeman and was involved in it all. He never got over not finding the little boy.

I loved living there as a child - I have find memories if the mills and the grime ( yes the grime) but it's 40 years since I lived there. It has changed.

We lived off Stockport road, as you drive up past the ring o bells pub there is turning on the right ( opposite what used to be zions church) we lived in the cul de sac at the end - Napier street. We had gowerhey wood at the back of us.

We moved to a village outside of Chester. I lost my mancunian accent ( went to private school and got it beaten out of me - I still hate Manchester tart) and got into the country life big style - riding horses etc. a total difference to my mancunian life.

I do love going back and as an adult I can see the beauty in those mill buildings but I am always sad to see them go ( flamin eck where did Norths go?)

Ah,,,, back in the olden days...

Wibble the old fart!

The bats have left the bell tower.....

23. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WibbleWobble View Post
    According to my gran dr shipman had a lovely bedside manner! Ha ha ha ha

She was living Chartist house ( the high rise at the back of the market) at the time of Mrs Grundys death ( the one whose death set off all the investigation) I went to see gran and she told me the lady mayoress had died suddenly - she was doing teas only the day before. I had no idea who gran was talking about. Then years later it all came out. Gran had passed away by then ( not by the hand of Harold) but she would've loved all the intrigue.

Yes it's also famous for being the place where the moors murders came from. My mum remembers them being taken to hyde town hall. My uncle was a policeman and was involved in it all. He never got over not finding the little boy.

I loved living there as a child - I have find memories if the mills and the grime ( yes the grime) but it's 40 years since I lived there. It has changed.

We lived off Stockport road, as you drive up past the ring o bells pub there is turning on the right ( opposite what used to be zions church) we lived in the cul de sac at the end - Napier street. We had gowerhey wood at the back of us.

We moved to a village outside of Chester. I lost my mancunian accent ( went to private school and got it beaten out of me - I still hate Manchester tart) and got into the country life big style - riding horses etc. a total difference to my mancunian life.

I do love going back and as an adult I can see the beauty in those mill buildings but I am always sad to see them go ( flamin eck where did Norths go?)

Ah,,,, back in the olden days...

Wibble the old fart!

I know what you mean about loving the 'grime'. Whenever I see Lowry's paintings (especially the one where they are all walking home after working at the mill) it makes me all nostalgic.

Yes, my Auntie (really mum's friend) said Shipman had a lovely bedside manner, she loved him!

Did you all used to visit the markets - Ashton, Stockport, Oldham, Bury...
    We also did the parks in the holidays - Lyme Park, Stamford Park, Cheethams Park, Heaton Park...
    And the Working Mens Clubs - they always had great Christmas Parties for kids when we were little!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, don't you just love that 'Yanks', starring Richard Gere was filmed around there? Everyone knows someone who was an 'extra' in that film! In fact, my mindees dad was an extra in it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast