How fiercely do you hang onto your day off?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How fiercely do you hang onto your day off?!

So I have finally managed to wangle a day off (Friday) after cutting down gradually the last few months. Now it works as I have one Lo Monday to Wednesday, one Monday to Thursday and one tues to thurs with a Lo ad hoc on days I can fit her in. Mum of mon to wed Lo came to me last week and asked if I would have a Thursday space in Jan which I will . Yesterday she came and said what was my day off as she wants to apply for a job which will be tues to Friday! I ended up saying sure go for it and we will see what we can work out (forgot the mantra of I will think about it and get back to you!) she is a social worker and there will be a panel so I am guessing if she gets the job it might not come up for a while.
    Mum of the mon to thurs one will probably have to go back to five days in Jan so was hoping to maintain my day off at least that long, and I won't take on anyone who needs a Friday unless I need to do it for one of my existing parents

I know she may not get it but I am a bit put out don't really want to lose my day off! There is a possibility that the mon to thurs mum might be able to switch her day off so I can have Mondays off which would be ok too (not as good as Friday but a start!) so I am not going to get in a knot about it but it got me thinking how do you protect your day off?! I don't want to lose the child whose mum is applying for new job as he was very unsettled and has just now settled in beautifully (and mum says she wouldn't move him but of course she would if I couldn't do the days she needs!) plus he is one of my two main earners. Area is busy so prob could fill the space though . Sigh

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave up my Friday off towards the end of last year and have really regretted it. You don't realise how many odds and ends get fitted into that day until you don't have it to play with. I am getting it back from September after some juggling and won't be offering it again (well maybe the odd ad hoc day for a big favour but certainly not regularly). I wouldn't be too bothered about swapping my day off for a Monday though. It really depends what you want to do with the time, but in my case it's mainly catching up with housework and shopping, so it doesn't make much difference. In fact if you do want to go out, there's something to be said for going out on a Monday when the traffic and shops etc are quieter.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have managed to get Wednesday off for July and August and I will protect it with my life lol one mum used to send her child Mon Tues wed gradually went to Thurs Instead of wed. Another mum I'd Tues and Friday sometimes Thurs. One lo is Fri only. Then I had a lady ask me to keep her kids that I was only meant to have for 5 weeks. I thought about and said I would agree if she got her mum who used to mind them to keep them on a wed in July and August at 5 full days during the summer was very tough going and as I was not meant to have her kids in long term I was planning having wed off for my own kids and she agreed
    Tess1981

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wanted Fridays off ... But first mindees ended up needing a Friday so I have Mondays off!
    I don't give up my Monday for anything! I might do the odd Monday as a favour or interviews or settling, but I couldn't go back to 5 days a week. Parents who want to come to me work round it and find other care if needed for a Monday.
    Good luck x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I think if there's the opportunity to switch days off that's not too bad. I technically never get a day off but I manage to get 6 hrs during school days and I too have 6 hrs off this Friday and have planned to drop the schoolies off and not return home until I've picked them back up again

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.. If I can wangle the Mondays instead that would be ok, other mum who has Fridays off at mo (only little one who does Mondays apart from one with mum looking at new job) said maybe she could change it but she isn't too keen.. I guess if I said I couldn't do Mondays she would have to, or she might leave. I don't mind really which day it is my girls have swimming on Mondays but we could change that,, I mostly catch up on myself and maybe meet someone for coffee and then I might arrange play dates for my girls so swimming is no good but that's not in stone. Thanks for the views.. Kinda hope she doesn't get the job!! (Mean I know!)

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to hang onto your Friday off, the only thing to do is to call mum asap and tell her you've had 2nd thoughts. Better done sooner rather than later before she goes too far down the job application road. You're acting entirely reasonably in any case.

I find my whole routine and working pattern changes quite often. I used to have all day Wednesdays off. Now it's Tuesday mornings, but even that is now succumbing to a string of settling in visits. That'll change again in September with the new school year (and what appears to be a mini-baby-boom: I've 3 of them lined up ) and then we see how we fit in with toddler groups, library activities, CM group meetings, etc. It's "all change" all the time. It would probably help if I knew what day it was at any one time. I pick up from preschool every day at the moment: a different combination of lo's every day. I thought of attaching a list to the pushchair, but found the simplest way is to let all other the parents get theirs first and then I take home whoever is left if they look at all familiar.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wish I had a day off

xxx

11. Likes rickysmiths, VeggieSausage liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had Fridays off for a couple of years now and wouldn't take anyone on who wanted a Friday. I advertise my working hours as Monday-Thursday, so it's quite clear.

I did have one mum wanted to come to me, but needed a Friday. I said no, so she went back to her boss and said she couldn't work a Friday...her boss let her work Mon-Thur instead, so it worked out well. I find that if you stand your ground, parents can usually work something out.

Although I won't take anyone on for a Friday, I will work the odd Friday for current families. It doesn't happen very often, but if granny is away, for example, I will work the Friday. Families are very aware though that Friday is housework day and that their child will either have to play quietly while I get on with my jobs, or help

13. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Fridays off and I won't give that up for anyone. I make it quite clear from the start that I don't do Fridays and if parents need Fridays then it's obvious I'm not the childminder for them.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Fridays off. It used to be Mondays and before that was a Wednesday. Messes up appointments for dentist though when parents keep changing their work days. This time I'm sticking with Fridays! I'll even turn away new work and tell existing parents that I cannot do it!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have most Tuesdays and I need it, doing paperwork (between coffee breaks lol) I worked last tues as a favour and really missed having my day off xx
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have Wednesday mornings off, with Monday and Tuesdays being easy days.
    Both my Monday and Tuesday children are term time only and they both finish next month due to starting big school in September, so of course I'm actively seeking work from September.

I will be protecting a half day vehemently, but I'm not worrying about which day as such, so long as I get it somewhere.

I shade in a timetable for spaces filled and my Wed morning, no names. That way when I get an enquiry, parents can see at a glance the unhighlighted areas are the times I'm available.
    They've never queried it as they don't know why I'm not available, just that I'm not.
    (I also avoid letting parents know that's my paperwork day)

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My full timer has just given me notice. Was upset and worried as they are most of my income and had the wee one since I started but now I have had time to think about it I realise I am shattered working 5 days so my plan is to now go for it and have a Friday off - just need to find a new wee one who will fit in with this! Xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scottishlass View Post
    My full timer has just given me notice. Was upset and worried as they are most of my income and had the wee one since I started but now I have had time to think about it I realise I am shattered working 5 days so my plan is to now go for it and have a Friday off - just need to find a new wee one who will fit in with this! Xx
    Best of luck, hope you can sort it..
    It makes a huge difference xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    I have Wednesday mornings off, with Monday and Tuesdays being easy days.
    Both my Monday and Tuesday children are term time only and they both finish next month due to starting big school in September, so of course I'm actively seeking work from September.

I will be protecting a half day vehemently, but I'm not worrying about which day as such, so long as I get it somewhere.

I shade in a timetable for spaces filled and my Wed morning, no names. That way when I get an enquiry, parents can see at a glance the unhighlighted areas are the times I'm available.
    They've never queried it as they don't know why I'm not available, just that I'm not.
    (I also avoid letting parents know that's my paperwork day)
    ...I don't actively say I don't work Mondays ... Just that I am not available ;-)

21. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    Best of luck, hope you can sort it.. It makes a huge difference xx
    thanks fingers crossed - going to try my very best!! Xx

Post Thanks / Like

Well mum has just rang and said she has
    Been practically given the job! Bless her she has said she won't take it if I can't change days because she is so happy with me and he is so happy (lol this is the one who screamed and dad wanted the id .. Only just got everyone settled

It will mean having him tues to Friday which is extra day, prob not Til sept which is good but losing my day off unless other mum can / will
    Change her day off.. I do like Fridays though cos my girls have no homework and can have play dates

Don't know what to do.. Ask other mum to change or tell her I won't do Mondays anymore, risk losing other mindee?!! Tell this mum I won't and she doesn't take job and resents me or does and moves him to another minder?!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a chance she could find someone else, just for the Friday?

I would be wary of risking losing the other child by taking this on & dropping a Monday. Parents can be very fickle and you bend over backwards for them, only for them to leave soon after anyway!

I had another mum wanted a Friday. I told her I couldn't do it, so she sent her son to nursery one day a week. It worked well...and meant she could book himin for extra nursery sessions when I had any time off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Is there a chance she could find someone else, just for the Friday? I would be wary of risking losing the other child by taking this on & dropping a Monday. Parents can be very fickle and you bend over backwards for them, only for them to leave soon after anyway! I had another mum wanted a Friday. I told her I couldn't do it, so she sent her son to nursery one day a week. It worked well...and meant she could book himin for extra nursery sessions when I had any time off.
    You are so right about fickle parents!!! Have had this happen before where I asked a parent to change days so I could accommodate an ad hoc child on to a regular contract when mum found a job , they refused and left about four months later.. Sigh

I have asked the other mum if she is able and or willing to change days off but also if she will need five days a week in January., cos if she does we are only talking maybe 16 weeks and I would have to do 5 days anyway ., maybe I could just take some more time off in meantime .. Part of my problem is I am not good at taking holidays so my day off with my own kids is precious but I have only just managed to wangle that the last few werks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast