lo not arrived :/
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lo not arrived :/

My mindee's contract is to start at 7, but hw usually arrices between 7:15 and 8. He still isn't here today and no word from his parents. Do you think it is reasonable for me to contact them?

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't contact them, it is there place to contact you, l would just go out so that if they do turn up they have to contact you and find you, you do not go back home to collect child.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would contact them. There could be a problem and I would want to know that the child is ok (safeguarding).

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would attempt to make contact, there could be something wrong.

If I was unable to, I would send a text confirming you have tried to contact them and are now heading to x, y or z, and if you haven't had a response by xx time will be contacting LADO for advise (it is a safeguarding concern, but yes, they could just have overslept)

I know of a parent, years ago now, that didn't turn up at the preschool to collect her LO.
    We attempted to make telephone contact after the obligatory 15 minutes, nothing.
    One of our playworkers knew the parent well, so before calling SS (as per our policy) and the fact that she was never late, off she went 5 minutes down the road to the house.
    She could hear the baby crying as she neared the house, and as she knocked on the door, a neighbour commented that the baby hadn't shut up all **** morning.
    Our playworker looked through the window, and mum was lay on the sofa.
    Police were called as despite all the banging, knocking and phoning, nothing was rousing mum

She had died of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome
    She was a single mum and left 4 children behind (the older two were at school), it was heartbreaking.
    Last edited by Kiddleywinks; 17-06-2014 at 08:47 AM.

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely contact them. There could be a problem (someone has been taken to hospital for example) and as a parent and childcare provider, I would think it very worrying if my childminder had not bothered to check where my little one was. Even if they've just slept in, I'd still be concerned if my childminder hadn't contacted me. And of course, potential safeguarding issues.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If any of my children have not arrived within half an hour of contracted/arranged start time without contact I phone to check everything is ok.
    Rarely happens and when it does usually someone has overslept or similar but better to check.

If no response and then still no contact I would phone emergency contact to see if they knew. I log all these calls in attendance book.

OP Hope your LO and family are ok.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this on collection one night mum was usually spot on time. No response when I tried to contact her so I rang Dad. He had no idea where she was or what had happened and couldn't get hold of her at first. He then found out she had been mugged on her way to the tube station and her bag had been taken.

I had a mum who used to arrive late in the morning, she couldn't get up in time and was often up to an hour late! In the end I went out one day, she was furious but she got to me in time after that.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Lo contracted til 4.30. Came 5pm one evening and I rang mother to see why no one turned up.. turns out she thought grandfather collecting and he thought mum collecting. I tell parents I will ring if they are late... same in the morning
    Tess1981

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be as simple as the parents mobile is pay as you go and they have no credit? I would call just to be safe.

I hope you have managed some form of contact by now. Please let us know.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I always contact parents after half an hour if they're late and if I haven't heard from them (most do contact me if they're running late). There's normally a simple reason - running late, an appointment & they thought they'd told me...an appointment and they had told me, but I'd forgotten! Actually, usually it's my error and when I check in my diary I see that they've already told me they're either not coming that day, or will be late If it's out of character I do think it's important that we try to find out what's going on, not only so we can get on with our day, but in case there is a serious reason behind it.

If it is something that happens regularly where children are persistently late & parents just don't bother letting us know, I carry on with my day, texting them if we're going out to say "we're off out at 10. Text me when you're coming & I'll let you know where we are for you to drop X off to me".

Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for the replies. I did try and call but was no answer so sent a text just to ask if everything was ok. Turned out my call had woken everyone from oversleeping and they were here within 40 minutes. Lo is absolutely fine and happily playing with the rice sensory tray and his toy digger

12. Likes ziggy, Logan, Maza, Kiddleywinks, hsav liked this post
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would always try and contact and I will shock as to why. I was providing respite care to a family of a. 9month old through LA. I used to pick up child from home. Mom had a history of depression. And one day I text moms mobile as usual as I was parked outside the house, had no answer, I went to the front do which I was not happy about as I had another child in the car which is why I sent message in first place. Was mugged by her two cats who were very hungry, no answer at door. I came home contacted dad on mobile he went home mom had cut her wrists as had pnd.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.