Toying with the idea of moving.  Any Cumbrian Childminders here?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Toying with the idea of moving. Any Cumbrian Childminders here?

It's an idea we've been toying with, but this weekend it's been a much bigger discussion, and is definitely heading to the possibility of doing so.
    DS has to finish high school first, so college could be up there, DD's looking at going to Uni up there next year so will be well settled in already.

We've spent time in Whitehaven, Broughton, Cockermouth, Carlisle and my brothers recently bought a house in Dalston so will be spending time there now too, so we know what's available to do pretty much all along the A595

What we don't know about so much, is whether there's enough work for another childminder.
    Childcare.co.uk only have 103 childminders listed which surprised me.
    Rates seem to be about £4 an hour, which is what I'm already charging, so no major change there.

I'm sure there will be more questions, but if anyone can answer these I'd be very grateful:
    Is there an area that currently needs childminders?
    How well supported are you guys?
    Are there enough groups that welcome childminders where you are?
    Is there enough training on offer?

Thanks in advance

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

43 lookers, and no answers :-(

If you would prefer to pm me, so you don't disclose your location, I'd be happy with that

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not in Cumbria I'm afraid but I didn't want to just read and run. Hope someone comes along soon to answer your questions x

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you go oh their fis. If there is one to contact a local cm.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know my sister in laws sister lives in North cumbria and couldn't find child care when her children were little.
    I am sure there is/was a minder from Cumbria on the forum. When we were considering moving I did contact a childminder via childcare.co.uk to ask about viability etc.
    Good luck, it's a lovely part of the world.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but im on the south coast x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an idea to gauge people looking for childcare. Go on to childcare.co.uk and type in a postcode near where you are looking to move. You can see how many people are looking for childcare within that area.

I go on the website regularly to see people looking for childcare. I counted 9 pages of parents looking for childcare had logged on in one day within 5 miles from my postcode one day. I then typed in a postcode near Cockermouth and no one had logged on for a month so parents seeking childcare is scarce.

Good luck.
    littletreasures xx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

One area I have not been too!!

Sorry

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littletreasures View Post
    Just an idea to gauge people looking for childcare. Go on to childcare.co.uk and type in a postcode near where you are looking to move. You can see how many people are looking for childcare within that area.

I go on the website regularly to see people looking for childcare. I counted 9 pages of parents looking for childcare had logged on in one day within 5 miles from my postcode one day. I then typed in a postcode near Cockermouth and no one had logged on for a month so parents seeking childcare is scarce.

Good luck.
    People rarely use childcare.co.uk in my area ... or if they do ... Don't register and then find contact details elsewhere! We are rural ... similar to Cumbria and so naturally there are less people, so less people looking for care.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm from Carlisle! We are hoping to set up childminding soon as I have just bought a new house!

Jen x

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It won't be for a while yet, don't want to disrupt DS's education with a change of area/school as I think he would struggle at his age with such a major change - autistic spectrum, although low end.

I have been checking out CC and the areas I've looked at haven't got anyone listed, although I'm aware that doesn't mean there aren't any - there are primary schools nearby

I might give the FIS a call though, that may help me narrow down my search

It's such a major decision, and at my age, a little scary lol, but I'm up for the challenge, and the people are so friendly and happy, you can't help but be absorbed by the atmosphere.
    Being the only breadwinner though means I have to be certain I can get back to work fairly quickly and starting all over again from scratch scares the pants off me

Quote Originally Posted by Jenjen2014 View Post
    Hi, I'm from Carlisle! We are hoping to set up childminding soon as I have just bought a new house!

Jen x
    Hello Jen, from Carlisle
    You'll have to let me know how you get on
    Are you actually in Carlisle itself or in one of the villages? Are you from Cumbria or moving there from elsewhere?
    I may very well end up pecking your head for info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    It won't be for a while yet, don't want to disrupt DS's education with a change of area/school as I think he would struggle at his age with such a major change - autistic spectrum, although low end. I have been checking out CC and the areas I've looked at haven't got anyone listed, although I'm aware that doesn't mean there aren't any - there are primary schools nearby I might give the FIS a call though, that may help me narrow down my search It's such a major decision, and at my age, a little scary lol, but I'm up for the challenge, and the people are so friendly and happy, you can't help but be absorbed by the atmosphere. Being the only breadwinner though means I have to be certain I can get back to work fairly quickly and starting all over again from scratch scares the pants off me Hello Jen, from Carlisle You'll have to let me know how you get on Are you actually in Carlisle itself or in one of the villages? Are you from Cumbria or moving there from elsewhere? I may very well end up pecking your head for info
    Yes we are from Carlisle and just moving down the road! Any questions about the area just ask!

Xx