Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First parent visit

Hi all
    I'm newly registered and have had my first enquiry. Mum Andover kids and her interpreter are all coming Monday. I'm unbearably nervous. If anyone has any suggestions for a first timer please share. Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Before they come, make a list of all the info you need to ask - names of children and parents, ages of children, address, contact number, email address, have they used childcare before, what hours are needed, are there any specific requirements they have.

Add to the list all the things you need to tell them: how much it will cost, what sort of things you will do, what records you keep, what paperwork they will need to sign, that you have policies and that you will follow the EYFS (if they are in that age range).

Don't be afraid to refer to your list during your visit. Tell them it's so you make sure you don't miss anything out. Explain that you ask for an email address so that you can message them after the visit to confirm and clarify what has been discussed.

If they have an interpreter with them and communication is likely to be difficult on a day to day basis, you will need to address this. How is it best for you to communicate with them, will the children need any additional help with communication etc.

On the day, try to relax. Play with the children, ask them what sort of things they like doing etc. ask the parent if they have any questions for you (remember to note the replies so you can confirm it in your follow up email).

I don't bombard parents with too much info on a first visit. I tell them about the paperwork and policies, but dont go into any more detail until the next visit. If possible, have some info for them to take away with them, such as your contact info, a bit about you, an example of your day, a list of paperwork that will need completing, a list of policies you have and maybe a sample menu showing they type of food you will supply.

Good luck and let us know how it goes