Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LOST VOICE!

Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default LOST VOICE!

I do not have a cough or cold but my voice was a little croaky yesterday and got worse as the day went on, it's my day off today and I can't talk at all, have read advice on NHS direct on laryngitis and trying to follow it eg: drink plenty of fluid, rest voice - don't even try to whisper and I'm doing all that as well as eating menthol strong throat sweets but really worried about working tomorrow as I had intended to take 4 children to the Bath & West Show - don't know whether to take them and just make sure they have high viz tops on that have my name and mobile number on, and have little ones on reins anyway attached to buggy as I can't call them back if they wander off - but wondering if it's worth taking them at all if I can't talk to them and tell them things - have tried getting my teenage daughter to come but she has got an extra shift at work, should I cancel the trip and just have day in garden as weather supposed to be improving?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You poor thing.

I think I would probably cancel the trip out tomorrow and have a quiet day at home (very quiet if you can't talk!) When I lost my voice I found it surprisingly tiring having to communicate while hardly being able to talk. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be out & about.

Fingers crossed it gets better soon xx

3. Likes Koala liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Mouse have decided to cancel the Show, too worried someone would get swallowed up in a crowd and I wouldn't be able to call them back and not fair to have the mindees trampled on being on reins getting in everyone's way. Bought a longleat Annual pass on Wednesday going to take them there instead go through the Safari park before it gets busy - they used to give you a CD to listen to, so I won't have to do any talking just pointing and then find a quiet place to have a picnic as I have already bought all the food.

Really wishing I had got further with teaching the children signing - would have come in useful!

5. Likes Koala liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure they'll enjoy the safari park just as much and it'll be a lot easier for you if you can get the CD!

7. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I lovelongleat im sure you will have a fab time there. They still give out the cds too x

Btw hope your voice comes back real soon x

9. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Argh...nightmare!
    I had laryngitis not so long ago and it took almost a week to get my voice back!
    All the kids were whispering to me...

Also, if it hangs on for very long it may be worth seeing the doc as I had an underlying chest infection too and was prescribed antibiotics

Feel better soon xx

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

11. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I do not have a cough or cold but my voice was a little croaky yesterday and got worse as the day went on, it's my day off today and I can't talk at all, have read advice on NHS direct on laryngitis and trying to follow it eg: drink plenty of fluid, rest voice - don't even try to whisper and I'm doing all that as well as eating menthol strong throat sweets but really worried about working tomorrow as I had intended to take 4 children to the Bath & West Show - don't know whether to take them and just make sure they have high viz tops on that have my name and mobile number on, and have little ones on reins anyway attached to buggy as I can't call them back if they wander off - but wondering if it's worth taking them at all if I can't talk to them and tell them things - have tried getting my teenage daughter to come but she has got an extra shift at work, should I cancel the trip and just have day in garden as weather supposed to be improving?
    Deary me...you need to rest that voice for a while so quiet activities for a few days will do...the children will understand and don't try to strain it....use your hands and face for instructions

Laryngitis is something we can get if we do not use our voice properly...or according to my GP...using the wrong muscles when speaking especially in the teaching profession...those from the tummy and those in our throat
    I used to get it regularly when I first started in childcare and GP offered me Speech lessons so I could use my voice properly and use the right muscles

Read this and you will see why

Laryngitis - Prevention - NHS Choices

Hope you get better soon ...silence is golden...or at least it will be for a few days!

13. Likes hectors house, FloraDora liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Beez View Post
    Argh...nightmare!
    I had laryngitis not so long ago and it took almost a week to get my voice back!
    All the kids were whispering to me...

Also, if it hangs on for very long it may be worth seeing the doc as I had an underlying chest infection too and was prescribed antibiotics

Feel better soon xx

Sarah x
    Voice comes and goes - can say certain sounds and other sounds just don't come out, so trying not to talk and strain it further - have found a whistle so I can get children's attention, I have played whispering picture lotto with a couple of mindees who have speech pronunciation problems so they at least are used to watching my mouth!

We went to Jersey last weekend on husbands motorbike, got soaking wet riding down to Poole to catch ferry and then had to sit in wet clothes for 4 hours - so think that and my laryngitis are connected.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

We went to Jersey last weekend on husbands motorbike, got soaking wet riding down to Poole to catch ferry and then had to sit in wet clothes for 4 hours - so think that and my laryngitis are connected.
    But did you have a good time? Cause if you did then I would embrace the voice n remember the fun xx

16. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like Simona, I have suffered with voice, my vocal chords became damaged when I had sore throat and continued on working because I was being filmed by channel 4 for a children's Science programme - just actions with some children - not scripted. But because I didn't rest them I eventually had to have an operation and 3 months of singing type / learn to use your voice again before I could think about returning to the classroom!
    So my advice is always rest as soon as now .....you don't realise the damage you can do long term by straining through.

18. Likes hectors house, N/A liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh I've just had a devilish thought!!! Could you pass it on to mindees? peace at last

20. Likes shortstuff liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Like Simona, I have suffered with voice, my vocal chords became damaged when I had sore throat and continued on working because I was being filmed by channel 4 for a children's Science programme - just actions with some children - not scripted. But because I didn't rest them I eventually had to have an operation and 3 months of singing type / learn to use your voice again before I could think about returning to the classroom!
    So my advice is always rest as soon as now .....you don't realise the damage you can do long term by straining through.
    I think everyone who has ever heard me sing would love for me to a) lose my voice permanently or b) have singing lessons!

Only joking - an operation doesn't sound good at all, so will try to follow everyone's advice and rest my voice - it does seem a little better today, I have been rubbing my throat with a Deep Heat type product, as menthol is supposed to be really good for the throat - so eating Halls extra strong menthol throat sweets for the inside and stinking of Deep heat menthol on the outside.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think everyone who has ever heard me sing would love for me to a) lose my voice permanently or b) have singing lessons!

Only joking - an operation doesn't sound good at all, so will try to follow everyone's advice and rest my voice - it does seem a little better today, I have been rubbing my throat with a Deep Heat type product, as menthol is supposed to be really good for the throat - so eating Halls extra strong menthol throat sweets for the inside and stinking of Deep heat menthol on the outside.
    Try an olbas oil in hot water old fashioned steam. I have a cup with a mask attachment which I put it in and then breathe in, really good at relieving soreness. Used a bowl with a towel over my head before betterwear came up with the mug. I use it now at the first sign of a sore throat.