help - how can I structure the day?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help - how can I structure the day?

Hi all

I have just completed the first of three settling in sessions with my first ever mindee who has just turned 2 - he was only here for an hour, but it has helped me to realise that I perhaps need to start thinking about a structure for his full days as he was just randomly going from one tpry to the next etc.

He will be here for 11 hours on his long days - how do I go about putting in some structure - should I limit the toys available during song time etc?

Really wont to do this job well and feeling a little out of my depth.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Look at what he needs are through the day ie food, drink, fresh air /outside play, mixing with others, rest and sleep times through consultation with parents then use this as a framework to structure your routine. It doesn't have to be a constant round of adult led activity but should be a good mix. I don't allow the children every activity all the time it would just be chaos, I tend to go with their interests, free play and adult led. Activities change or not as the child developed and their own learning style.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have your own school/nursery aged children?

I plan my day around these timings;

Before school
    School run
    Morning activity/group etc
    Nursery run?
    Lunch
    Nursery run.
    Afternoon activities/ sleep
    School run
    After school stuff

I like the way the school runs frame the time in the day, and break it up

Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both

I have my own little one but he is only 8 months so no school runs etc - have got a mindee before and after school in sept so that will change the routine at that point.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Might be worth planning ahead for the school run in September - getting LOs used to lunch then nap followed by a walk approx same length as to/from school. It does frame the day and everything else slots in round it. Are there groups (toddlers, singing, story time at library) you are planning to go to? They'll provide some structure too. Also, it's ok to try something and then change if it doesn't work/no longer suits. Just because you start doing something it isn't set in stone you have to continue it forever (learnt that one the hard way!)

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is like this

8-930 arrival, breakfasts, free play
    10/1030 toddler groups / walk / playground / soft play (try to get out most mornings )
    12 home and lunch
    1230 nap
    150 school run
    230 back from school run .. Activity , free play , etc
    415 snack, tidy up, diaries, pack for home , maybe tv

5-530 home

Mine are mostly toddlers age 2 but have a 10
    Month old who needs.nap before we go out too in the am

Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the info - its a good job I asked as had it in my head I needed an activity for every second of the day.

The mindee is 2 and my little one 8 months. The mindee starts officially Monday - but has had 3 settling in sessions now - he doesn't like to do the same thing for more than 10 mins - panic!

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Similar to murf!

Before schoolers free play most lo's arrive 9-9.30 so my day runs as follows:

9-9.30 free play
    9.30-11.30 group/ meet other minders at garden centre or cafe etc (inc travel time)
    11.30-12.30 free play around lunch and nappie changes
    12.30-1 all down for naps except older lo, I have my lunch whilst older lo free plays then I do something 1:1 with this child based around a theme.
    2-3 little ones wake and I tidy buggy sand cots away whilst they free play and parents collect some of them the rest do school run with me
    3-3.30 school run
    3.30-4 free play or activity generally for the older ones whilst I organise dinner
    4-4.30 snacks/ dinner
    4.30-6 collections every 15 mins to 30 mins apart so just free play

I put out a sensory table every week with different textures in this keeps the Los entertained, the older ones do craft activities mainly so nothing too stressful!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

When they are new they want to get every single thing put and investigate like mad, you will probably find he settles after coming to you for a while.
    I set put some things and keep some activities just I case on a high shelf and use them as fillers if need be. More often than not the children set the pace and their interests lead naturally onto other things.

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Blue Bear. The do tend to look at everything at first, just generally get everything out n play for 2 seconds, then gradually over a couple weeks maybe, you notice they dont do that so much and play for a little longer.

You will find your own routine along with what the child needs. I just put in place one activity in the morning and 1 in afternoon, depending on children, could be play doh and painting for example. At first I felt I should be entertaining them all the time, but then realised they dont want or need that anyway

Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone