Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pick up time help

What do others do regarding pick ups? Had all the kids in the back garden today after school. After an incident last week when a parent came to collect and I couldn't hear door I decided to unlock the door today. Another parent comes in the house through to the garden and says oh your door was open so I said yes I know and explained about the previous week. All the kids were with me and I haven't got a door bell and the house is quite big. What do others do?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well luckily one of my back gates is next to the front door so it's not a problem. My old childminder had a HUGE garden and if they were out there she couldn't hear the doorbell in the house so she had one of the battery ones which she used. Either that or get a big dog who will bark if anyone comes to the door lol.

xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Call your mobile x

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a sign saying we are in the garden. Or You could use a bit of paper as a note on the door. Then my parents just walk to the back gate alongside the house where they have to shout or bang the gate( as gate is locked ) and I open it and let them in. That way, the children are not inconvenineced and I have not left them alone to answer the door. We all then go indoors, close doors behind us and say goodbye to whoever is leaving. The children dont have a choice in this and it is something I enforce, they are told we can go back outdoors but I think it's good practice to make sure the young ones are with you at all times. Also makes a swift goodbye to the child departing as the kids are wanting to go back outdoors. Works for me anyway. I would never leave the door open for all and sundry to walk in. What if it was an Intruder or worse an Oftsed Insoector, lol. I think it would a safeguarding issue to let your door unlocked and people are able to just walk in and you cannot see who it is.
    Last edited by MAWI; 14-05-2014 at 07:09 PM.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a battery operated wireless doorbell from amazon. I take it with me out into garden so can always hear the parents ringing. Has about 30 ring tones and drives me nuts but does the job!!!!

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Note on door says we are in the garden.
    All children's things are also in the garden with us in preparation of going home, parents bang/ shout over side gate I let them in and they leave via side gate too so no one needs to come in from garden.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a battery operated bell in my previous pre-school, it was great and had a long range

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both a wireless doorbell and a note saying we are in the garden. My gate is level with the front of the house and the driveway goes half way down my back garden so they join us on the patio. All LO's know they dont go on the drive unless they are with me or their grown up. This works for me as they are within sight and hearing of me at all times. Even if I go into my kitchen to freshen up a drink I can see the gate so know everything is safe while i am there.

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Doorbell ordered!