9 hour ofsted inspection
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 9 hour ofsted inspection

Hi, we are new to the forum and to childminding but we are not new to the EYFS as we have been managers of preschool and teaching assistants. We recently had an inspection and we received Inadequate because of our own stupidity from nerves and forgetting as we never do ratio. Having had many ofsted inspections, the fear never changes and we hold our hands up. My partner quickly took the children to school in the car, so we would be ready. I was left with 4 children, although my partners son was upstairs. Ofsted arrived early! We then had to endure 9hrs with an inspector who was aged between 23-25. Her attitude towards us from the beginning was unhelpful and and uncomfortable. Questions about safeguarding and development were asked at the end of the day and by this time we were blithering idiots who had difficulty knowing what we were doing. Our feedback was at5.55 and because of ratio inadequate for all outcomes. My partner received one action for safeguarding. How can that be? We both should have received an action.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness nine hours!!!
    What on earth was she doing all that time. Did she do both inspections separately so one after another 4.5 hours each?
    I take it the four children did not count as continuity of care then?

Definelty wine o clock, poor you

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry you have had such a terrible experience, you must be feeling very overwhelmed. Agree with the comment below, it may be that she was inspecting you separately (although I have never heard of this), but nine hours seems very extreme! The only thing I could think of regarding why your partner received a action and not you, was because he was the one that left the premises, this really is a guess though.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear about this. Nine hours! I'd be a quivering wreck by the end of that. That was my greatest fear when I was inspected: that because of nerves, I would forget to do something I should or get something wrong.

Take a deep breath now, look at the things the Inspector has said and focus on the next inspection.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodness I had a 6 hour inspection and thought that was long enough. Poor you.

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness a 9 hour inspection?! Mine was 2 1/2 that was bad enough big hugs! Xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

How are you feeling today Shylady?

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry this has happened to you. Must have been awful, mistakes happen so try not to beat yourself up too much. What did ofsted say would happen next? Will they reinspect after a while and regrade you? Do you have to stop minding until then? Im guessing the action will stay on file for 5 years? I hope your parents can be understanding with it all. Sorry for all my questions just not sure how the inadequate grading works.
    Anyhow I'm sure you will work through whatever happens next and although it cant feel like it at the moment you will get through it. Take care x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to my previous comment, if you feel the inspector was inappropriate by the length of inspection or anything else you can raise a complaint with OFSTED. x

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow 9 hours, I really think that is unacceptable. My first inspection was 5 hours long, we ended up arguing, I asked her to leave my home, which she did. My last one was much better only 2.5 hours, even after that I was shattered with all the questions. Poor you.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post
    Wow 9 hours, I really think that is unacceptable. My first inspection was 5 hours long, we ended up arguing, I asked her to leave my home, which she did. My last one was much better only 2.5 hours, even after that I was shattered with all the questions. Poor you.
    Wow u argues with inspector can I ask why
    Tess1981

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shylady View Post
    Hi, we are new to the forum and to childminding but we are not new to the EYFS as we have been managers of preschool and teaching assistants. We recently had an inspection and we received Inadequate because of our own stupidity from nerves and forgetting as we never do ratio. Having had many ofsted inspections, the fear never changes and we hold our hands up. My partner quickly took the children to school in the car, so we would be ready. I was left with 4 children, although my partners son was upstairs. Ofsted arrived early! We then had to endure 9hrs with an inspector who was aged between 23-25. Her attitude towards us from the beginning was unhelpful and and uncomfortable. Questions about safeguarding and development were asked at the end of the day and by this time we were blithering idiots who had difficulty knowing what we were doing. Our feedback was at5.55 and because of ratio inadequate for all outcomes. My partner received one action for safeguarding. How can that be? We both should have received an action.
    CMs inspection usually last 3 hours...what is the reason yours went beyond that?
    Was the inspector new in your view and therefore taking longer than necessary?

I believe many settings are having inspections over the expected length...CMs and settings alike...
    If the inspector has a SEF she will know well in advance all details about the setting...if no SEF (it is not compulsory) then she will need to ask lots of questions

Did the inspector follow the inspection schedule?
    what worried you from the start?...and if you were made to feel uncomfortable the inspector should have been made aware of that ...they do have a Code of Conduct at inspection which they must follow

I understand from your OP that your partner's child was upstairs...the child was part of the ratio maybe the inspector picked on the fact he was in a part of the setting not for childminding? was he alone?
    You say you were given an action because of your ratio and he was given one on safeguarding...were you judged on your teaching and how children get to outcomes?

When you receive your report you can appeal if you feel the inspector did not follow the expected inspection format and arrived at the wrong judgement
    It is worth reporting these events as Ofsted appear to be listening and engaging in discussion with providers via the OBC and other channels

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    Wow u argues with inspector can I ask why
    We had already argued on the phone before she even got to my house, crazy, I know but after having months of cancellations I could not take the stress anymore. This went on for 3 months, each time her calling at the end of the week to say "sorry emergencies". Apart from the week she totally forgot she was supposed to come and see me. I even asked for someone else but she said "no". It was my first inspection, should have called Ofsted to complain at the time but a little green. The morning she came, she actually called to cancel yet again, I told her no way, she had to come. Well she did come with a big chip and attitude, I knew it was going to be hell lol. She was the most incompetent person I ever met. Asking me how to spell words( for her) asking me, what had we just been talking about, she had forgot and needed reminding Asking if the baby was speaking Italian, when he was babbling away, it was laughable! After 5 hours I had had enough! She was an idiot. I think she had lots of complaints against her, someone from Ofsted wanted to come and talk with me regarding the visit. Funny thing was, Ofsted was not at all annoyed with me for asking her to leave! Anyway my second Inspection was much, much better as inspections go!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post

We had already argued on the phone before she even got to my house, crazy, I know but after having months of cancellations I could not take the stress anymore. This went on for 3 months, each time her calling at the end of the week to say "sorry emergencies". Apart from the week she totally forgot she was supposed to come and see me. I even asked for someone else but she said "no". It was my first inspection, should have called Ofsted to complain at the time but a little green. The morning she came, she actually called to cancel yet again, I told her no way, she had to come. Well she did come with a big chip and attitude, I knew it was going to be hell lol. She was the most incompetent person I ever met. Asking me how to spell words( for her) asking me, what had we just been talking about, she had forgot and needed reminding Asking if the baby was speaking Italian, when he was babbling away, it was laughable! After 5 hours I had had enough! She was an idiot. I think she had lots of complaints against her, someone from Ofsted wanted to come and talk with me regarding the visit. Funny thing was, Ofsted was not at all annoyed with me for asking her to leave! Anyway my second Inspection was much, much better as inspections go!
    Goodfor you, we all need to learn from you. Well done for standing up for yourself.