This may sound confusing but...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This may sound confusing but...

I have a full time LO who will be 3 next month. Parent has said that in sept she may get LO into nursery/pre sch for one day a week, just to allow her to benefit from a larger setting as well as my small one (presumably using funded hours). She said whichever day that is, if she does go ahead with it, she'd still like to use me as a kindof "after school club" of the early years variety on that day. Given what her working hours are, I'm assuming she'll also need me to do thr drop off too, although she didn't mention it (but it was only a brief pre-conversation, no details til nearer the time). Now if she goes to the pre sch, hours there will be 8.30-3.30, and then come to mine for an hour-ish. If it's the local nursery, hours there will be either just morning or just afternoon, with the rest of the day at my house. I think she's also going to need me all day in the hols too. How would you go about charging? I'm very concerned that if she's at pre sch all day, I'm losing a lot of the money I currently get that day from her, but I'm unlikely to be able to fill those specific hours with another under-5 (especially a term time only one). Help! !

Post Thanks / Like

I know many childminders would still charge in this instance as you are keeping the space for LO especially during the hols. I actually have a LO 4 after a full day at school nursery 3:10 - 5:30 and I just charge my after school fee, I'm ok with this as he will be a full time schoolie in Sep anyway. He is TTO so a little different to your situation. You have to do what is right for you as I don't think that either way is right or wrong :-)

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are going to be dropping off, and collecting, LO is expected to be with you if the preschool is closed (bad weather, burst pipes, inset day, polling day etc), and you're covering school holidays too, then many minders continue to charge normal fees.

4. Likes QualityCare liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree: I don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way. The only way is to find something that both you and the client are content with.

Personally, I don't charge whilst a lo is at another setting, just like I wouldn't charge for a schoolie being at school but still affecting my under-8's total across the day as a whole. But I also make it absolutely clear there's no guarantee I can have them if that other setting has an unexpected closure. I do find that CM friends who do charge can have some awful problems from parents who expect the CM to collect a sick child from nursery/preschool, as if the CM's policy doesn't apply quite the same as the nursery's does.

It's sometimes possible to fill those supposedly 'unfillable' hours if we look hard enough, though the holiday arrangements would likely be a problem in this case. I have a CM friend who looks after the children of 2 cleaners whilst some of her other mindees are at nursery/preschool. She was rather embarrassed when she realised she was still charging those hours to parents on the basis that "I can't possibly fill them" . (Of course, the real scandal is that a cleaner can afford to pay a CM and still make it worth their while working: which suggests we are seriously under-charging for our services, but that's another debate. )

In fact, I'm currently handling an early-stage enquiry from a prospective client who'd happily take a few hours here and there just to give the grandparents a little relief. We're trying to see if we can slot this in between preschool runs in such a way as to not limit the activities with other mindees.

Just a thought. Have you discussed with mum whether she actually needs the lo to go to nursery? Could she be persuaded that you could fulfil the child's need for a group environment by attending local toddler groups with them?

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. I actually think it would really benefit this particular lo to have a session or 2 a week at a larger setting- she can exhibit some rather challenging behaviour, but seems not to when she has others to influence her, and really enjoys the company of peers. Plus, in all honesty, it will be a bit of a 'break' for me, as much as I really do love her to bits! It's just that I'm concerned about losing that much money and not being able to fill the slot. I can only take 4 mindees full stop under the age of 14, otherwise I have to apply for planning permission (it's a stupid local council thing, there's no getting round it), so every one of my spaces is precious. Still undecided, but you've given me food for thought, thank you!

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to charge 50% whilst at preschool as I was holding the place open and could not do anything with it. Parent then paid full if they used the space on snow days or Pre school closure days.

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAWI View Post
    I used to charge 50% whilst at preschool as I was holding the place open and could not do anything with it. Parent then paid full if they used the space on snow days or Pre school closure days.
    This is what I do if they're with me before and after nursery as it guarantees their holiday space etc