Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: advice needed

Registered Childminder since
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default advice needed

Hello everyone

I've had an enquiry from a friend who is looking for before and after school care for her two older children, and care for her baby - who will be 9 months old when the care starts. The problem is, my own son will not turn 1 until the week after the care will start. It seems such a shame to have to turn her away for just a few days.

Is it allowed for me to care for the baby for free for the first week - thus not receiving financial reward?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Can the mum make alternative arrangements for that week? Ive just done the same with 1 of mine. The new lo can only attend after another 1's 1st birthday.

Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

She us going to see if she can start gack a week later or get her oh to take hol.

Thanks for the advice - I love this forum.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I would second short stuffs reply...if it is only a week then maybe family could rally round and make other arrangements.
    Hope it works out so you can take the family on x

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Post Thanks / Like

Would it just be your baby and her baby? If so then can you do a risk assessment and grant your own variation

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

i thought if it was your own baby under one year you can have another baby under one?

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysright View Post
    i thought if it was your own baby under one year you can have another baby under one?
    I thought (may be wrong) the scenario is if you already had a minded baby under one (somebody elses) and then you had a baby (your own) this is ok for 2 under one - continuity of care.

It's so tough that we are worrying about being over numbers (age wise) for the sake of one week when we all know - it make NO difference to the care at all (I know theres insurance and all that red tape blah de blah de blah) but where did all the common sense and practical capability go? sorry - moan, moan, moan.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    I thought (may be wrong) the scenario is if you already had a minded baby under one (somebody elses) and then you had a baby (your own) this is ok for 2 under one - continuity of care. It's so tough that we are worrying about being over numbers (age wise) for the sake of one week when we all know - it make NO difference to the care at all (I know theres insurance and all that red tape blah de blah de blah) but where did all the common sense and practical capability go? sorry - moan, moan, moan.
    I agree to some extent BUT we see so many posts here and on Facebook from cms bending the rules, thinking of ways to shoehorn another child in whilst paying lip service to the rules. We moan about parents being given an inch and taking a mile but some of us are the same in that respect. If we were given more leeway for discretion the majority of us would use it wisely, but some wouldn't.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

9. Likes Koala liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
    I agree to some extent BUT we see so many posts here and on Facebook from cms bending the rules, thinking of ways to shoehorn another child in whilst paying lip service to the rules. We moan about parents being given an inch and taking a mile but some of us are the same in that respect. If we were given more leeway for discretion the majority of us would use it wisely, but some wouldn't.
    Yes i agree, but those that wouldn't use it wisely would probably do it anyway.