2 year check, family told a nursery would be better!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this too, the HV told mum that the child would benefit from a nursery as I was not as well qualified and that I didn't understand the development matters etc. The brilliant nursery was able to achieve wonders with this child - his best achievement with them was - to eat his dinner without tomato sauce on it. So would someone tell me what qualifications are needed for this please? By the way I found out that I was more qualified than 80% of the staff employed by this nursery.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teacake2 View Post
    I had this too, the HV told mum that the child would benefit from a nursery as I was not as well qualified and that I didn't understand the development matters etc. The brilliant nursery was able to achieve wonders with this child - his best achievement with them was - to eat his dinner without tomato sauce on it. So would someone tell me what qualifications are needed for this please? By the way I found out that I was more qualified than 80% of the staff employed by this nursery.
    They all achieve this at Bunyip Towers. Had to point out to lo just last week, "no, you're not having @!$*ing tomato sauce on it!"

This drives me potty, and I seem to have had at least one fussy eater for most of the last 12 months. Typically, the parents do nothing at home but expect my 'healthy eating' policy to wave a magic wand and produce a healthy child with no support at home. My current fussy madam gets her own way at home over food and pretty much everything else as far as I can see. She refuses virtually everything unless it comes out of a tin or is bought at a manky fastfood establishment. Apparently, her gran even lets her put tomato sauce on the tinned ravioli-in-tomato-sauce.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    They all achieve this at Bunyip Towers. Had to point out to lo just last week, "no, you're not having @!$*ing tomato sauce on it!"

This drives me potty, and I seem to have had at least one fussy eater for most of the last 12 months. Typically, the parents do nothing at home but expect my 'healthy eating' policy to wave a magic wand and produce a healthy child with no support at home. My current fussy madam gets her own way at home over food and pretty much everything else as far as I can see. She refuses virtually everything unless it comes out of a tin or is bought at a manky fastfood establishment. Apparently, her gran even lets her put tomato sauce on the tinned ravioli-in-tomato-sauce.
    Drowning in tomato sauce...priceless!!
    Being from a mediterrenean country I always have home made tomato and basil sauce in my freezer...takes about 15 mins to make... which can be used for pasta or whatever takes the children's fancy.
    Maybe I should start a new business...bottled Italian sauce and sell it to EY providers.....shipping at a small charge!!
    There's a thought
    Last edited by Simona; 27-04-2014 at 05:04 PM.

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Off topic, but still on the ketchup theme ...

I 'run out of' tomato sauce! I don't like it myself, and so never think to offer it to mindees. If they ask; depending upon what the meal is, I might say yes, but most of the time I say I haven't got any and they rarely ask now!

years ago, a 7yr old boy ( and his mum ) came to tea with the 7 yr old boy I was nannying ... I had cooked roast chicken ... he asked for ketchup ... I said we don't have any. his mum offered to pop out to the shop ( about 10 mins drive away ) to get some! I said no, tea would be cold by the time she got back. she insisted and left ... when she returned child had eaten ALL of his tea, as nanny charge had told him that the gravy was even better than ketchup!!!

6. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

years ago, a 7yr old boy ( and his mum ) came to tea with the 7 yr old boy I was nannying ... I had cooked roast chicken ... he asked for ketchup ... I said we don't have any. his mum offered to pop out to the shop ( about 10 mins drive away ) to get some! I said no, tea would be cold by the time she got back. she insisted and left ... when she returned child had eaten ALL of his tea, as nanny charge had told him that the gravy was even better than ketchup!!!
    but ketchup on a roast?? ewwwwwwwww!

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have much faith in health visitors. When DD3 was born she lost weight and was so slow to gain it - the hv either phoned daily or came round to weigh her making me feel really bad that I wanted to continue breastfeeding. DD was finally diagnosed with tongue tie at 9 weeks but those 9 weeks were hell, being made to feel like a terrible mum with no support from them to get to the root of the problem.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I also had the tongue tie experience - 7 weeks of hell and 4 different hv's telling me there was nothing wrong, one visit to a feeding consultant and the tongue tie was cut x

Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I just ask.....what about the parents role in this? Surely it begins with them,and the blame shouldn't be laid with the CM.Fed up of us 'minders getting stick for things when ultimately the parents should be doing their bit at home.!!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lisa1968 View Post
    Can I just ask.....what about the parents role in this? Surely it begins with them,and the blame shouldn't be laid with the CM.Fed up of us 'minders getting stick for things when ultimately the parents should be doing their bit at home.!!
    You are right ...this is a triangle with cms, parents and HVs but it does not work like that does it?
    In addition the EYFS does not say MUST but SHOULD therefore anyone can do as they want and we are left taking the blame

The 2 year old check is a very useful tool for early intervention but it is not used wisely or effectively ...all we can do is flag up the concerns hoping someone takes notice...lets not forget that we are also supposed to support the 'home learning environment' but that's another matter...yes parents must also work with their children, many are too stressed or work long hours so all is not working properly
    Last edited by Simona; 28-04-2014 at 11:47 AM.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember the exact details now, but at a talk by Penny Tassoni a couple of months ago, she said that children at Nursery sometimes only have 10 minutes of quality one to one communication time and that children are better off in small groups with a childminder.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this is happening more and more imho!

We had it a few times now. HV's appear to think they are better but I keep asking myself what is it? What is the thing that drives this attitude or belief that a nursery is better?

Uniforms?
    Large groups in a purpose building?
    Logos outside the building?
    Sheer big headed attitude?
    Safeguarding?

I mean what is the point making a Childminder jump through every single hoop and over every single fence, to have another professional in some office who never leaves that room decide "No! not good enough, time to get serious and go to a real nursery!"

I keep saying this but this is why I am personally demoralised and feel sick for what the future holds! All what is going on. Even this morning the subject of 2yr olds in school came up again on the tv. Then you get all this stuff about children going to school at 5yrs old wearing nappies. The Daily Fail even suggests 15yr olds cannot use the tiolet lol!

So who's fault is that then? oh yes the parents are not at fault at all are they lol. It is always somebody else

14. Likes ChocolateChip liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayse74 View Post
    Well this is happening more and more imho!

We had it a few times now. HV's appear to think they are better but I keep asking myself what is it? What is the thing that drives this attitude or belief that a nursery is better?

Uniforms?
    Large groups in a purpose building?
    Logos outside the building?
    Sheer big headed attitude?
    Safeguarding?

I mean what is the point making a Childminder jump through every single hoop and over every single fence, to have another professional in some office who never leaves that room decide "No! not good enough, time to get serious and go to a real nursery!"

I keep saying this but this is why I am personally demoralised and feel sick for what the future holds! All what is going on. Even this morning the subject of 2yr olds in school came up again on the tv. Then you get all this stuff about children going to school at 5yrs old wearing nappies. The Daily Fail even suggests 15yr olds cannot use the tiolet lol!

So who's fault is that then? oh yes the parents are not at fault at all are they lol. It is always somebody else
    The problem I think is that people know what goes on in nursery, they know what children do at school... what they dont know is what a childminder does.... so many of my friends have been amazed that I have to do paperwork, that I have to adhere to the EYFS just as I did when I worked in the nursery. I think the common belief is that we are registered Babysitters, and until that changes situations like this will keep occurring

16. Likes lisbet, ChocolateChip liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well today they told me that he will be leaving to go to nursery in September, I told her that I didn't agree with the HV that he was better placed in a nursery to improve his communication. He lacks an ability to have a 2 way conversation is is completely silent most of the time he is the most gorgeous boy and I have loved looking after him, such a shame. Not sure if I mentioned in an earlier post that 2 of my mums were made redundant last week and one has already handed in notice, waiting for the other one - blimey you can go from full to having lots of space in a matter of a week!! my dh was made redundant and is now under my feet, sorry unemployed as well.....double humph

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    Well today they told me that he will be leaving to go to nursery in September, I told her that I didn't agree with the HV that he was better placed in a nursery to improve his communication. He lacks an ability to have a 2 way conversation is is completely silent most of the time he is the most gorgeous boy and I have loved looking after him, such a shame. Not sure if I mentioned in an earlier post that 2 of my mums were made redundant last week and one has already handed in notice, waiting for the other one - blimey you can go from full to having lots of space in a matter of a week!! my dh was made redundant and is now under my feet, sorry unemployed as well.....double humph
    *sending hugs* what a rubbish week you're having Hope things pick up again soon for you! xx

19. Likes Logan liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12