Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yummyripples View Post
    Definitely. I am in actually in awe of people who are organised enough to be structured!
    Out of interest, when you have set routines like the babies sleeping, do you manage to go for days out
    Yes, if we have a full day out the little ones tend to sleep in the pushchair or in the car when they're tired. But if they don't sleep at all, or are out of routine, for one day it doesn't really matter. I don't do many groups with the children, so our regular trips out are to the library, park, visiting other childminders etc.

Our routines aren't strict enough that we don't allow for spontaneity or variation from our plans. A child's needs and interests, wherever possible, will always come before routine.

Our structure tends to be around timescale, so play time, snack time, story time, sleep time etc. What goes on within each block of time is completely variable and random. For example, I might plan that during playtime we'll have the vets toys out, but the children's play takes them along a different path, so we would go with whatever they're doing. I wouldn't say "you're playing vets for the next half hour, so get on with it"!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Yes, if we have a full day out the little ones tend to sleep in the pushchair or in the car when they're tired. But if they don't sleep at all, or are out of routine, for one day it doesn't really matter. I don't do many groups with the children, so our regular trips out are to the library, park, visiting other childminders etc.

Our routines aren't strict enough that we don't allow for spontaneity or variation from our plans. A child's needs and interests, wherever possible, will always come before routine.

Our structure tends to be around timescale, so play time, snack time, story time, sleep time etc. What goes on within each block of time is completely variable and random. For example, I might plan that during playtime we'll have the vets toys out, but the children's play takes them along a different path, so we would go with whatever they're doing. I wouldn't say "you're playing vets for the next half hour, so get on with it"!
    Your structure sounds pretty relaxed. The cm I was talking to has a set singing time, set phonics time, set mark making time etc daily so that they can tick all the learning objectives.
    I think we all have rough routines but this childminder has her days set out like a school timetable. I think that's what I meant by structured.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yummyripples View Post
    Your structure sounds pretty relaxed. The cm I was talking to has a set singing time, set phonics time, set mark making time etc daily so that they can tick all the learning objectives.
    I think we all have rough routines but this childminder has her days set out like a school timetable. I think that's what I meant by structured.
    Yes, that would be a bit structured, even for me! I suppose the only time I come somewhere close to that is when the younger children sleep and I work on focused activities with the older children, particularly those going to school in September. We will sit down and do some number or writing work, but again, it's planned around their interests, so they just see it as another game

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12