Advice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice

Hi I am in need of some advice.

I started looking after 3 brothers 6,7,9 in November last year. since having them their behaviour has been challenging and when I have spoken to parents about this they have reprimanded them with no effect.

examples of this behaviour is swearing, rough fighting, shouting in peoples faces in public people they don't know. running away without coming back when I shouted after them.

I have two young children of my own who started copying the boys behaviour and have lost a mindee who had sen due to their behaviour in Feb.

NOW I haven't had the boys for 7 weeks due to mam being off work. I have still been getting paid and have offered to take the boys each time she informed me they wouldn't be attending for another 2 weeks. mam messaged me this am asking if it was ok she took the next week as holiday so it was half fee because she is off work. I allowed mam to take the second week as holidays 2 weeks ago as a good will gesture.

holiday payments are significant with this family as its 50 hours. I sat and worked it out that I cant afford to loose money with 2 days notice as this money Is for my 30th birthday holiday. mam has decided to bring the boys back this week, which is ok as I am still working with a baby I have started 2 weeks ago.

my issue is this on the last day I had the boys the eldest threatened to smack my daughter who is 3. I spoke to the child immediately and he just laughed at me. it was on that day mam went sick so I have not been able to chat to her about the incident.

I am wanting to give the family their notice as it has taken me 6 weeks to get my childrens behaviour back to normal as they were hitting and scratching copying the boys and also this threat of violence to my children is unacceptable.

what are my options? can I give 4 weeks notice whilst mam is on the sick or terminate immediately as now I have another baby in my care and do not want to loose her or put her in any harm.

the boys behaviour is such that I am unsure as to whether they just threat or would follow through with it. they also break toys and furniture.

this sounds so negative on this family and I feel awful but I cannot continue with this behaviour.

ty

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be difficult to give immediate notice now due to behavioural issues as you have been taking money for the last 7 weeks and have offered to have the boys. If you were using their behaviour as a reason for immediate termination I think it would be questioned why you didn't do it at the time and why you were still offering to have them.

If it were me I think I would speak to mum and try to come to a mutual agreement. I would give 4 weeks notice now, but suggest that if she wants to leave earlier you would let her go. I know you want the money, but I don't think you can expect mum to keep sending the children for the next 4 weeks when you have such concerns over their behaviour.

If in doubt about giving notice while mum is on sick leave, phone your PLI company (MM or PAcey) and ask what they think

3. Likes lashely, FussyElmo, alwaysright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your advice.

I think you are right about questions being raised which is fine I haven't been able to make a decision on what to do for best. i know their behaviour will be the same perhaps a little worse as they haven't been for 2 month so will give her notice on Monday.

do you have any suggestions on how to word the notice? i feel awful but need to put my family first and haven't given notice before.

Registered Childminder since
    nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

are you also or have you also been keeping a written record of behaviour issues, ie when they broke toys or threatened your daughter? just so if mum questions you you can say well this happened on this day and this day...i agree with mouse about terminating now as you have taken money with the expectation that they were coming back.