Washable mappies
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Washable mappies

Arrgggh I hate them!

This is just a venting thread for me hahaha I absolutely hate washable nappies, they retain such a horrid ammonia smell, and always leak! I have to change nappies hourly to avoid any leaks, and if the child falls asleep, you can guarantee an awful mess when they wake hmmmmmmmmf x

Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

What nappies are you using? I was thinking of using them with my baby but not sure

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I've had several children using them. I've found there is a big difference in how effective they are.

On little boy had to be changed hourly and I always thought he might as well not have a nappy on as it didn't actually absorb anything. He did really big wees and they literally soaked straight through. I bought a packet of disposables and if he was sleeping or if we were out and he was going to be in the pushchair for a while, I'd put a disposable over the top of the cloth nappy. When I had his baby sister she wore the same nappies and they were fine on her. She didn't wee as much and they held it all.

I do actually like them and haven't ever been bothered by the smell, but I do think parents sometimes have to try a few sorts to see which ones suit their child best.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not like them either, purely because its the thought of handling and looking at poop, with disposables I have a knack of wiping down and folding over so its, quick and little is seen of you know what but when I have used washables it's a whole different ball game - yuk, yuk, yuk.

I had a lo with bamboo nappies - they were REALLY good at absorption and I never had leaks and he was a 'very productive child' if you know what I mean but the nappy bucket, I kept it outside as it stank and in summer - it could gag a maggot - I have never moved so quick at lifting a lid, chucking nappy in and running and that's a sight - me running what I really didn't like was disposing of poop out of the nappy it reminded me of picking dog poop up Definitely not for me, thank god i've only ever had one and all the rest are disposables - another reason why I include nappies in my rates.

I don't think i'de be happy with leaky nappies - that's not fair - I trust it's a minded child and your not just torturing yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

No it's a minded child, I think the brand is Eco baby, but he is quite big and they don't seem to hold anything in.

I. Understand they are much more cost effective, but it's a nightmare if we. Want to go out for the day. I. Think I will have to ask mom if she minds also supplying a couple of disposable, or even if I buy them and keep them here! The other children always say he smells, and he does, especially at the end of the day, I feel like I have the smell of wee up my nose!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

We had these with a Mindee last year! They do tend to hum a bit though when together in a corded bag lol.

The parent gave us a proper bag for them which would go home with mum to wash them all. But when you opened that bag up...woahhhhh lol.
    They saved a ton of money using them. We were happy to oblige, it worked fine all round

Near the end when the child started potty training mum & dad asked if we were fine with pullups! so that era of washables ended.

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Washable nappies shouldn't smell. Sounds like they need strip washing (not your responsibility), but maybe if you could somehow mention it tactfully to the parents?!?!?!? Also that brand may not suit the child, maybe ask the parents if they use anything else at home that works better on him and explain why. They may be just sending that type for ease for you and use something else at home.
    Mum of three, 6,5 and 4. Now minding a few more too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    Washable nappies shouldn't smell. Sounds like they need strip washing (not your responsibility), but maybe if you could somehow mention it tactfully to the parents?!?!?!? Also that brand may not suit the child, maybe ask the parents if they use anything else at home that works better on him and explain why. They may be just sending that type for ease for you and use something else at home.
    Thanks christi, I didn't realise that, will definitely mention to mom, are there any brands you recommend?

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably showing my age now but my own three children all used terry nappies the squares that needed to be folded. I did different folds, kites most of the time but a clever extra thick central panel fold great for big wetters!
    I used to soak them in a bucket of cold water and wash them every other day, nothing like a lovely line of perfectly pegged nappies blowing in the wind.

I'm still good at folding napkins!

10. Likes rickysmiths, lisbet liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My ds uses reusable we have a selection. Tots bots bamboozles for night which are bamboo and soak up the world.
    Fuzzybunz, tots bots easy fits minky and some easy fit bamboo. The bamboo is best although drying time is rubbish.

The night nappies have a wrap going around the main nappy this keeps everything inside in use blueberry wraps. You could ask for just an extra wrap to go round the top. Some of my friends are using ds old wraps over their ds disposable at night to stop leaks.

They do get stinky after a while and I have found rocking green no more funk. The best stuff to get rid of the funk. fill your pants is a good place to buy from or Babi pur.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

My lo uses tots bots and bum genius. She is now 2 and they are still going well. She also uses washable liners. Parents use reusable wipes at home! (Not keen on those myself)

I must admit I do not send them home dirty. I give the contents a good flick down to loo, and hold the end of the liner and hold under water while it flushes. I have not dropped one yet!

I usually whizz them on a quick wash, which takes 50 minutes, an hour before collection time, or at a real push use a 20 minute wash. The 50 minute wash is brill, the 20 not so great. I then just stick them in a carrier, and parent takes them home wet.

They did say that biological powder must not be used, plus I do put a sprinkle of nappisan in.

The parents are really grateful, especially as when dad collects, mum does not usually get home till midnight.

I have never been asked to do it, but feel it does help the working parents.

Changing is usually needed more often than with disposables, plus I tend to change before and after nap time.

I do not find they smell.

I do actually quite like them!!!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say the best is 'Bum Genius' One family have been using the nappies for over 5 years for their boys and they have always been brilliant! They never leak and fit well. Never had an issue with smells either
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just smiling at all the strange names!
    Harringtons Gold Seal were super thick and I got two children out of my original 24 then they made great floor cloths

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info guys, I may gently suggest to mom that she looks for other brands! X

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used cloth nappies with my own children and agree that different types suit different children, and also that they shouldn't leak or smell. There's useful info in this article:

The Ultimate Cloth Diaper Care Resource Page | It's The Cloth That Counts.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Probably showing my age now but my own three children all used terry nappies the squares that needed to be folded. I did different folds, kites most of the time but a clever extra thick central panel fold great for big wetters!
    I used to soak them in a bucket of cold water and wash them every other day, nothing like a lovely line of perfectly pegged nappies blowing in the wind.

I'm still good at folding napkins!
    I used more modern cloth nappies with my first two children, but terry squares in the 'jo fold' suited my third child best and I ended up really liking them. They are now being put to good use as our tea towels, so I still get to see them blowing on the line.

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first nannied a few!!! Years ago I was good at folding the square terry nappies. We had fun showing each other ways to fold.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a parent who sends washable nappies and it drives me nuts because the poor child literally stinks of wee and she doesn't provide wipes to wipe him down afterwards even though I ask her weekly. I tend not to keep wipes in the house so when he's particularly smelly I have to steal wipes from another mindee. I can see how they're good for the environment but that's literally the only plus point I've found with them!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    I have a parent who sends washable nappies and it drives me nuts because the poor child literally stinks of wee and she doesn't provide wipes to wipe him down afterwards even though I ask her weekly. I tend not to keep wipes in the house so when he's particularly smelly I have to steal wipes from another mindee. I can see how they're good for the environment but that's literally the only plus point I've found with them!
    Kaybeaa, I would buy a pack of wipes for this child and add it to the next bill. I have this in my fees policy.

21. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    I had a mum who sent the washable nappies. She also sent a wash bag with small wet flannels in it instead of wipes. If the mum is doing it for environmental reasons maybe suggest those? She even had a special liquid they were wet with that smelled of menthol.

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast