Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratio

Registered Childminder since
    Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I just point out that the op is new and looking for advice, any chance we can not scare them off with having yet another long debate on someone else's thread please

To the op, you have been given some good advice, and I, like others, would say that this is new business and not continuity of care and therefore should be avoided like the plague,

I remember when I started out a few years ago wanting to take every enquiry on because your new business is just starting and Uncertain but I ended up full with a waiting list very quickly

2. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Becci26 View Post
    Can I just point out that the op is new and looking for advice, any chance we can not scare them off with having yet another long debate on someone else's thread please

To the op, you have been given some good advice, and I, like others, would say that this is new business and not continuity of care and therefore should be avoided like the plague,

I remember when I started out a few years ago wanting to take every enquiry on because your new business is just starting and Uncertain but I ended up full with a waiting list very quickly
    My apologies if you feel we have deviated from the original post...I think the input is vital and very relevant
    This is a forum and hopefully we are allowed to 'extend' the discussion?...unlike twitter where we are limited to 140 characters but then even that can be very useful

We have asked BR23 to feedback on her pre reg visit which I believe is today and her OP only put here yesterday...no reason for anyone to be scared off as the opinions posted are for support and to allow reflection....I think we have done that very well

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip what's the deviation for 'rising 5's'? What is a rising 5?! Sorry to be stupid, I'm also new!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    Bunyip what's the deviation for 'rising 5's'? What is a rising 5?! Sorry to be stupid, I'm also new!
    A rising 5 is when a 4 year old is in full time reception class. They can for purposes of ratios be classed in your 5-8 age bracket :-)
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thanks for that, I have a 4 year old starting with me soon and was wondering what would happen if when he goes to school and I'm asked to do school drop-off whether I would be able to or not, as I can't really afford to give up an eyfs place for a couple of hours after school care.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree: my apologies for getting involved in a somewhat tangential matter which would be better pursued on a new thread.

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to apologise :-)

I am just aware that we don't want to be frightening off newbies with debates on their threads iykwim

9. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Simona Guest

No need to apologise :-)

I am just aware that we don't want to be frightening off newbies with debates on their threads iykwim
    Sorry to come back on this...but how are new CMs supposed to understand how the EYFS works and how to interpret it if we established Cms have not been able to work it out after 18 months it has been implemented?

I know these new CMs are 'handed the framework' by the LAs and told to get on with it....appalling....so here they come for advice and support

Ratio/variations is the most asked question in this forum...why?
    I would bet a lot of money there will soon be another thread asking for help and advice on this.

What I feel would be very useful is if those who seek help come back when they have found a solution...I hope BR 23 will do that when she has made her enquiry

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I never actually said I couldn't care less. I asked for advice and have got grief for it. I'm going to speak to my inspector on Friday when she comes. I have worked in childcare for 4+ years I know how things work. Sorry I asked. I won't be back again for any advice.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR23 View Post
    I never actually said I couldn't care less. I asked for advice and have got grief for it. I'm going to speak to my inspector on Friday when she comes. I have worked in childcare for 4+ years I know how things work. Sorry I asked. I won't be back again for any advice.
    People have really misinterpreted your post. I hate it when that happens. Read the facts don't make assumptions

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Please dont stop asking for advice. This thread did get carried away but most answers were constructive.

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel like a naughty child. Knew it was a bad idea to ask! Was just staying I know a few childminders that have worked round things before. I wasn't going to risk anything. I haven't even started yet and was going to go about it the right way and ask ofsted properly At my pre reg visit not one of the people on the phone as I know they're useless! I've been ringing them every week for 2 months just to get my pre reg visit!

But ah well obviously I am in the wrong and everyone has jumped on the band wagon to slag me off!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel like a naughty child. Knew it was a bad idea to ask! Was just staying I know a few childminders that have worked round things before. I wasn't going to risk anything. I haven't even started yet and was going to go about it the right way and ask ofsted properly At my pre reg visit not one of the people on the phone as I know they're useless! I've been ringing them every week for 2 months just to get my pre reg visit!

But ah well obviously I am in the wrong and everyone has jumped on the band wagon to slag me off!
    I dont think anyone deliberately slagged you off. There were a couple of individuals who judged you but please continue to use the forum. It is all about discussions even if opinions differ.

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Think people need to realise nobody is perfect and that the only people that can tell us what to do is ofsted. Was just interested to see of anybody had had any exceptions before and how they worked.

Just all seems a bit OTT on here. Like people calling me a joke. Don't judge somebody that you don't know. Like I said I've worked in childcare for over 4 years. I've run a preschool for the past year. I know people bend the rules all the time. Wasn't asking for a huge heated debate.

Post Thanks / Like

hi,

you should be fine to do this,
    i rang ofsted about a similar situation and they wont give a yes or no answer

The only thing i would say is you will need to look at how you will transport 3 that young as i had to buy a triple buggy in the end (not cheap and a nightmare to store and fit in anywhere)
    also you will need to risk assess the extra child and consider whether you can meet all their needs as they are all so young

Whatever you decide to do good luck

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't set out to slag anybody off. God knows I'm not perfect and She also knows that nearly everything I've learned has been learned from making mistakes of my own. I only hope some of that can help others from time to time, or I would be wasting my time here completely.

Just be aware that we're all trying to offer guidance, and we'd rather appear 'harsh' (being cruel to be kind) than be all nice, friendly, and cuddly whilst watching a fellow-CM make a big mistake.

It's unfortunate that good, ol'-fashioned straight-talking is, too often these days, seen as "rude" and "offensive".

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to come from this thread is that the current rules are not working. I am now doubting my own variations two days a week. My variations will end when a child leaves. Is that wrong?

Why aren't PACEY helping us gain clarification? We pay them money every year but are still so uncertain.

Why did so many people oppose four under fives ? I manage perfectly well and it seems quiet when I only have the three.

Exceptional circumstances - what if something isn't mentioned in the guidance? Can we not do it? People are getting their fingers burnt because ofsted can't be bothered to put some thought into it all.

I wasn't registered when ofsted granted variations but it seems at least then childminders had their backs covered.

Simona Guest

Think people need to realise nobody is perfect and that the only people that can tell us what to do is ofsted. Was just interested to see of anybody had had any exceptions before and how they worked.

Just all seems a bit OTT on here. Like people calling me a joke. Don't judge somebody that you don't know. Like I said I've worked in childcare for over 4 years. I've run a preschool for the past year. I know people bend the rules all the time. Wasn't asking for a huge heated debate.
    We deviated slightly from your question but overall we agree with you ...the variation on p21 of the EYFS is not clear or we would not end up discussing it so often

I did start a separate thread to see how others feel about it...should it be clarified? my feeling is yes and we could try now the EYFS is 'under construction' again for Sept 2014

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have read page 21 over and over and it says about siblings so when I have my pre reg visit in the morning I am going to tell her the situation I am in and ask her opinion and ask if she can expand on page 21 and on how the ratios should work and what an inspector would have to say if they came and I had made my own variations and decisions.

Will let you know the outcomes!

Simona Guest

I have read page 21 over and over and it says about siblings so when I have my pre reg visit in the morning I am going to tell her the situation I am in and ask her opinion and ask if she can expand on page 21 and on how the ratios should work and what an inspector would have to say if they came and I had made my own variations and decisions.

Will let you know the outcomes!
    Good luck for tomorrow....I got it wrong thinking it was last week the inspector was coming?
    Give it all you can and ask her...you never know you may get a reply...at this stage we have nothing to lose by challenging a wee bit?

I have read EYFS p21 first thing in the morning...late at night.....with a glass of wine...sober as a judge...upside down and lengthwise...it still does not make sense to me...I suppose I could claim EAL as my excuse?
    Look forward to your feedback

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast