Anger over new after-school childcare ratios plan
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default Anger over new after-school childcare ratios plan

This came out last Friday
    Ratios from 1:8 to possibly 1:30 if Truss gets her way.

BBC News - Anger over new after-school childcare ratios plan

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

She really is in favour of caged in childcare isn't she, the answer to all parents prayers, one adult to 30 children, all in one room with nice quiet clean activities to limit the chances of risk. Total bonkers.

Glitter Guest

This is insane!

I run an after school club and can imagine the chaos if I tried to run it alone. How would I help the children with craft activities while supervising a room of 30 others? How could I make enough toast for 30 children at the start of the session? What would I do when I needed the toilet or had to look after a child who hurt themselves? Who would tidy all the mess up at the end of the day?

I think we should put her in a room with 30 hyperactive children after school and see how she copes!!

Sorry- rant over.

4. Likes sarah707, JCrakers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think perhaps the children will be our best allies with this as the advertisers already know pester power works and children are not going to like or thrive with 30 to one x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

she is out of her mind!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She's probably got the idea that all the children will sit down like they do in a classroom situation with 1 teacher. So from 9am-3pm and then 3pm-6pm sitting at a desk.

She really does not have a clue about children but most of the government don't have a clue about real working life anyway.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to hope that parents will be similarly aghast at the idea. There will always be some who look for the cheapest/easiest option without much thought about their child, but I hope most would be horrified at the thought of their child being in an after school club with a 1:30 ratio.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Next we will have the problem of overweight children who sit down for nearly 10 hours a day, then go home and go to bed. Just a stupid idea. I've collected children from after school care and the children are either going potty due to lack of supervision or totally bored with being in the same environment and longing to go home

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I hear about this woman, the more I'm starting to think she's actually crazy. Like seriously, actually insane. How can one person supervise, clean, feed, give support to, give first aid to, listen to, play with, comfort and observe 30 children? Someone should ask her to do it for a day then get back to them
    Kelly xx

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

She is just insane and has no idea..... I as a parent am horrified at the thought of my children being in a class of 30 to 1! Even during the day a teacher has 2 or 3 teaching assistants!! Then don't get me started on thoughts when being a childminder (nearly) xxx

Apr 92
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    This came out last Friday
    Ratios from 1:8 to possibly 1:30 if Truss gets her way.

BBC News - Anger over new after-school childcare ratios plan
    This is institutionalism!!

It used to be called Fordism after The car manufacturing empire. This is an old chestnut where the business model was applied to non manufacturing processes such as childcare. Hammer nappy in place, insert dummy, place on convayor belt. Cheep to run. Pity the quality control will not take place for 10-20 years. Governments only look to the short term. They wont be in power by then they only consider their five year term. Young adults who will be unable think for themselves, reason or think outside the box and with no life skills are irelevant to them.

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    The more I hear about this woman, the more I'm starting to think she's actually crazy. Like seriously, actually insane. How can one person supervise, clean, feed, give support to, give first aid to, listen to, play with, comfort and observe 30 children? Someone should ask her to do it for a day then get back to them
    Insanity would explain a great deal!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone find it amusing how Truss pulls out of a meeting with childminders but still has the time to bleet on about all her great plans?

Will she actually meet with childminders or does she know full well, she will get torn apart?

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a brief conversation about this with a parent over lunch today. We were talking about after school things the children do here. I mentioned that it wont matter if truss gets her way and children are at their desks till 6. Mum said they will still have PE and be able to do the after school clubs like Judo and stuff won't they. But will they?If they are all supposed to be working and doing homework surely some won't be able to go and do other stuff. I was a bit confused after we finished our chat

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That woman makes my blood boil, she is clueless !!! It is hard enough at the best of times with 8 but 30 where in amongst all of this has she considered welfare and safeguarding iask myself.

17. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the article last week and it really annoyed me where it said the summer camp company thinks the proposals are a 'great step forward', as their response was nothing to do with the ratios but was about not having to follow eyfs for children under 5 in the holidays! Surely they wouldn't agree to 30-1. Ludicrous!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgons View Post
    I read the article last week and it really annoyed me where it said the summer camp company thinks the proposals are a 'great step forward', as their response was nothing to do with the ratios but was about not having to follow eyfs for children under 5 in the holidays! Surely they wouldn't agree to 30-1. Ludicrous!
    The guy you refer to ...Guy Ker...is a Tory backer so hardly surprising he agrees with Truss. It is obvious she is being advised ...but by the wrong people ....why meet cms when Truss has such wealth of advice?

In all this 'children' have not been mentioned once...it is all to do with saving money to the parents...or at least those who believe in her waffle

I hope many parents will be wise enough to tell Truss where to put her precious proposal...to the vote in 2015.

The Holiday Camps owner is now free to get away with taking our business because parents will flock to his settings...maybe he will appeal to cms to go and work for him!! I would bet a few pounds on that!

With regards to his waffle about being free from the prescriptive EYFS during the holidays it just shows he has not got a clue...like Truss....what he is talking about!
    It is like the blind leading the blind!

What is scaring is this will be reviewed by April and put into law by September...hand in hand with the agencies!

Post Thanks / Like

Does she really think parents are so short sighted that they will all choose cost over quality when it comes to the care of the most precious people in their lives? There is no way you can have a quality provision at 30:1!!! When my business is up and running I will gladly put this argument across to any parent xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    The Holiday Camps owner is now free to get away with taking our business because parents will flock to his settings...maybe he will appeal to cms to go and work for him!! I would bet a few pounds on that! With regards to his waffle about being free from the prescriptive EYFS during the holidays it just shows he has not got a clue...like Truss....what he is talking about! It is like the blind leading the blind!
    Is that not part of the proposals though to not have to do eyfs in the holidays?
    Also does he really agree with the ratio proposals? I know you said he is Tory but I wonder how much of the article was edited like the letter sent to the Telegraph I've seen on another post in order for it to look like someone agrees with the proposal?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgons View Post
    Is that not part of the proposals though to not have to do eyfs in the holidays?
    Also does he really agree with the ratio proposals? I know you said he is Tory but I wonder how much of the article was edited like the letter sent to the Telegraph I've seen on another post in order for it to look like someone agrees with the proposal?
    Please correct me if I am wrong ....I understand the EYFS has to be delivered over 38 weeks and for those weeks providers get funding for the education side of it...schools deliver it but not in the holidays, preschools which are term time only do the same

The way I interpret it is that the Learning and Development does not need to be covered in the holiday schemes...in terms of planning, observing and assessing....no holiday scheme has ever needed to do that.
    Mr Ker needed to understand the EYFS ...he obviously doe not!
    what needs to be covered is the Welfare Requirement of Safeguarding and ratios...now with the higher ratio those will be put in danger

This is what Mr Ker says in the article
    "The government is giving children the freedom to have fun in the holidays - it's a great step forward," he said.

"Under current requirements, camp providers are expected to follow learning and development rules for younger children. Those rules really aren't relevant in a holiday setting.

"Now the government has injected a massive dose of common sense into the industry and will trust holiday care providers to ensure children can enjoy their holidays without those restrictions."

Like many other cms I have looked after school children in the holidays but never needed to produce evidence of EYFS to Ofsted......so this guy is a good spinner

One of the problems highlighted in the Childcare Commission was the shortage of holiday care for children and the cost...this reform will address it as children will be piled into these camps at low cost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast