Threatened with ofsted complaint-help!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  49
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

What a terrible ignorant man, so glad the child's parents do not hold the same views!! I would look at this as a opportunity to revise your complaints procedure and maybe your inclusion/partnership with parents policy. Also maybe make a note of it as a opportunity for self reflection? xx

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad they were supportive. How horrible for you and what a prat. Ofsted would be praising you for not stereotyping so don't worry about at. Hugs to you

3. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My grandson loves bobbles and slides. Asked me to buy him today in local supermarket. I think they just like something they don't have, only boys in their house and mum with short hair.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Daisy1956;1342856]My grandson loves bobbles and slides. Asked me to buy him today in local supermarket. I think they just like something they don't have, only boys in their house and mum with short hair.[/

Just taken delivery of a Lalaloopsy hair doll and a Peppa pig hairdressing kit as I had a hair appt. last week and my hairdresser comes to my home. Set up for the LO who comes early ( hairdresser came at 8 ) so she could play at hairdressers...she totally was not interested, but the Male LO who came later spent the day with hair clips in and was really frustrated because his hair wasn't long enough for bobbles ! Spent every day since going between emergency playmobil fire engine, Police car, John Deere tractor and a pink peppa pig hairdryer and clips, the Lalaloopsy doll sits and watches his every move... Whilst female LO dons a bosch workman's helmet and mends the Peppa pig straighteners on her workbench.

This is why I love this job, diversity all around us.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gef918 View Post
    I would still contact Ofsted, just in case at your next inspection, the inspector asks why you didn't!
    There is no need to call Ofsted and no inspector would ask for an incident such as this if no complaint is made to them why hadn't you called. I would challenge any inspector who commented.

7. Likes Tatjana, Goatgirl liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

Complaints
    3.73 Providers must put in place a written procedure for dealing with concerns and complaints from parents and/or carers, and must keep a written record of any complaints, and their outcome. Childminders are not required to have a written procedure for handling complaints, but they must keep a record of any complaints they receive and their outcome. All providers must investigate written complaints relating to their fulfillment of the EYFS requirements and notify complainants of the outcome of the investigation within 28 days of having received the complaint. The record of complaints must be made available to Ofsted on request.

3.74 Providers must make available to parents and/or carers details about how to contact Ofsted, if they believe the provider is not meeting the EYFS requirements. If providers become aware that they are to be inspected, they must notify parents and/or carers. After an inspection, providers must supply a copy of the report to parents and/or carers of children attending on a regular basis.

Under the EYFS regulations, the grandfather would have no power to raise a complain with you unless he can show some legal power of guardianship over the child. The only people who can complain to a provider are "parents/carers".

However, anyone may complain about a provider to Ofsted. Not a lot you can do about this, other than to document the whole thing (and your conversation with the parents was an excellent step). If he does complain to Ofsted, you just cross that particular bridge when Grand-daddy drives off it, as they said of Kennedy at Chappaquiddick.

I would take this as a golden opportunity to demonstrate that you follow whatever wording you have in your diversity policy about "challenging unacceptable views" within your setting. In that sense, the whole incident is more of an opportunity than a threat.

9. Likes Tatjana liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely nothing to add, fantastic advice has been given I just wanted to send a hug as I can only imagine how upsetting this must have been for you. To threaten a childminder with a complaint to OFSTED for no reason (or for a ridiculous reason) is a very low blow. We build up our business and reputation with such care and love for the children we mind and to have stupid pig ignorant people threaten to ruin our livelihood and possibly our home and family life over a dress (!!!) is wrong
    Would this man really have seen you go through the trauma of a complaint based inspection, the possibility of your reputation being tarnished and your business possibly collapsing due to people talking, over the fact that his grandson was playing a game?! He should be ashamed and hopefully his grandson grows up to be nothing like him! So glad mum has taken your side and hope you don't have to deal with this man again xx
    Kelly xx

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to send my support and hope you are ok. Some people are unbelievable! X

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your support, it's so appreciated!!

Update: this morning mom and dad dropped off with a massive bouquet of flowers and bottle of wine, they kept apologising, and said how much they value me. I suggested if those are grandads views, it's best he doesn't pick up again!

I have decided against calling Ofsted, I documented everything and will keep so when I'm next inspected, if they ask how I deal with complaints, I can give them this example. Mom and dad have assured me that grandad won't be taking this further, mom was livid so they have obviously had words this weekend!

Many thanks again xxx

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So pleased to hear it went well for you this morning with the parents- hopefully that will be the end to it all.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww thats lovely of them. It sounds like the miserable grandad has been put in his place!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

lovely of mum and dad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12